If Nathan Tardif Had A Grave, He'd Be Rolling In It...

heymatthew

Note: I changed my story a bit in light of new evidence that Noodler's pens aren't made in America like I assumed. You know what they say about assuming... :D

It's no secret that Nathan Tardif, mastermind behind Noodler's pens and inks, is a patriot. In fact, I have an idea that the Henry Repeating Arms Company may have actually stolen Nathan's original idea for a company slogan some years ago; "It will be made in America, or it won't be made at all." His videos often contain heavy political underto... Oh who am I kidding. They're not undertones. He just comes right out and says it. Even his ink names suggest his disdain for the way our country is run. So, you can imagine the disappointment he'd have in me if he knew what I had done to one of his American-made pens designed and inspected here in America.

A couple of years ago when I was still new to fountain pens, I found some images or videos of flex writing and said to myself, "I want to write like that!" So... Rather than reading a book or taking a class or practicing, my initial thought was, "Get one of those flexy pens so you can write like that!" Ask me how that worked out with golf clubs, guitars and RC planes. I'll save you the trouble and just say that I'm no Tiger Woods or John Mayer and I sure as heck can't keep a plane in the air. Although quadcopters are my thing... GPS-enabled, can't-crash-me, quadcopters... Glorious little things, they are!

That's beside the point though. My point is, I had a flexy Noodler's Konrad. And Ahab. And Creaper. A couple of each, probably. One day, one of my Konrads broke. I think the filling mechanism snapped or something. I don't really remember, but I do remember just throwing the whole thing in the trash and thinking, "To heck with this... I'll just go back to my extra-fine nails and never write flexy again! HUMPH!" Then, I quickly grabbed the broken pen from the trash and removed the nib and feed for salvage. I figured the nib would come in handy if I ever messed up the nib in an Ahab or my other Konrad.

Fast forward a couple of years and I have a little parts bin with nibs and feeds and collars. I was digging through said parts bin yesterday to put together a nib, feed and collar for a fellow FPNer and stumbled on that Noodler's nib. I also stumbled on a long-forgotten Jinhao X750 whose nib was a terribly mushy, wet, mess. I did love the shape and weight of the pen though so, naturally, it went into the parts bin with the thought that I might make something of it someday.

I looked at the Noodler's nib and then looked at the Jinhao. Back at the nib. Back at the Jinhao. Back at the n... You get the idea. I thought, "Hm... The X750 uses a No. 6 nib and the Noodler's Konrad and Ahab use a No. 6 nib. And I've got these assorted feeds. I wonder..."

Yep. I went and fitted Nathan Tardif's American-made steel flexy nib into a Chinese-made Jinhao X750 and did it all with the assistance of some feed that I got from God-knows-where. Oh... And there's an International Converter in there that I salvaged from a Monteverde pen at some point. So, it's a Frankenpen. And... IT'S ALIVE! It works wonderfully! I've never enjoyed a Chinese-made pen OR a Noodler's nib more in all my years of fountain pen writing. Not my Heroes, not my Jinhaos, certainly not my Ahabs... It's like the perfect pen. The feed keeps up. There's no tinkering or adjusting. It just bloody works!

So... without further ado, feast your eyes on the Noohao! or Jindlers (although that's awfully close to Schindler which carries a completely different kind of anti-American connotation, but is one of the greatest films ever made; I digress).

Either way... Here's the little matte black abomination (please pardon my TERRIBLE handwriting... You can see I still haven't gotten around to the practice part yet):

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/12011697455_95231e2e75_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/12012518496_a4069b990d_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/12012057084_48213b42e6_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5506/12012056234_8a2ba1e3c1_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/12011687875_3b1247b5c3_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3722/12011698495_e366f71887_h.jpg

So yeah... Long live the Noohao! Also... pardon the gunk on the image. My paper had some ink splats from somewhere else. It's ugly, I know, but I had hoped it would detract from the handwriting.

Edited by heymatthew

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heymatthew

• Brian C

• inkstainedruth

• MusinkMan

I don't think Nathan would mind one bit. Aren't his pens made in India though?

I dunno... I just always thought they were made in America with the way he talks about our government and the cost of things, etc...

Well... I still wrote a good story. We can just pretend.

I changed my story... It's still entertaining. Just with a few less assumptions. Thanks for reading guys. And thanks for the lesson in Noodler's manufacturing! :D

What do you think of the pen!? Neat, right?

It is neat and I think Nathan would like. He seems to be a proponent of people learning to fix and maintain their pens. The part where you chucked his pen in the trash might bother him though.

I changed my story... It's still entertaining. Just with a few less assumptions. Thanks for reading guys. And thanks for the lesson in Noodler's manufacturing! :D

What do you think of the pen!? Neat, right?

Pretty neat fix.. :)

The story is real good, both before and after the modifications.

I love to pretend, but it usually confuses everyone except me! Anyway, first, you DO NOT have terrible writing - it is very crisp and intense and interesting. Second, your pen is quite beautiful - great job!!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Thanks all. Unfortunately, I had to throw the Konrad away as the piston knob broke. It wasn't fixable. Nathan, forgive me.

The ink is Private Reserve Purple Mojo on Bristol Board.

Thanks for the compliment on my writing. It's a work in progress. :)

My experience is quite the opposite.

I find that most Chinese made nibs work far above their pay grade. However, it is rare to find a Chinese made pen that is as good as the nib. Most often it is the design - the pen is too heavy, or has an odd shape, or is unbalanced. Others are just built badly. But even those usually have good to excellent nibs.

Of all my Chinese pens, the only one that is excellent in nib, design and execution is my Kaigelu 356. Even my Kaigelu 316, excellent in every other way, is unbalanced.(richardandtracy has written on this before).

I have been trolling through my collection of now-unused Chinese pens, removing the nibs, and using them in dip pens.

I must admit, though, that I have had one or two that I could never set just right. Either they were too wet, or wouldn't pass any ink at all.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I wondered how a Jinhao would work with one of his nibs. Now I know.

By the way, from what I've learned of Mr. Tardiff, I think he would be pleased to have his pen or its parts used in any way. A big part of his philosophy is an adaptable pen that can be used with different nibs or parts.

In fact, he also includes a Japanese Platinum Preppy as a free pen with some of his inks and includes a Swiss made roller ball tip for such pens.

I think he's a believer in the free market, not necessarily American made no matter what.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Yup. One of the things that Nathan talks about is using his pens to bring new life to vintage nibs that are on broken pens. I don't think he would care if you used his nib on a Chinese pen.

I dunno... I just always thought they were made in America with the way he talks about our government and the cost of things, etc...

Ha no. They are from India, Japan, where ever he finds a good deal on a fountain pen that is worth its money in amusement and more.

I don't think Nathan would mind one bit. Aren't his pens made in India though?

a) Yes, they were made in India (not America)

B) your handwriting is divine, no question I am envious

c) you are very clever to do this and thanks for telling us about it.

Smoochies.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Ha no. They are from India, Japan, where ever he finds a good deal on a fountain pen that is worth its money in amusement and more.

Smart guy. :)

a) Yes, they were made in India (not America)

B) your handwriting is divine, no question I am envious

c) you are very clever to do this and thanks for telling us about it.

Smoochies.

Thank you!!! You're too kind. :)

I agree, that Nathan wouldn't care.

I was under the impression that Nathan did the final inspection/setting ect. on many of the pens himself, but the parts are made in India. He has no problems with imported parts from other countries where free markets exist.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png