Mb Irish Green Alternatives?

vates

Greentings!

MB Irish Green is my absolutely favorite green ink. However, the surplus of this ink in local boutiques is unstable and they often don’t have it available.

On the other hand, the famous international store, where I frequently make purchases doesn’t carry MB inks.

Could you please advice an ink similar in color and shading to the subject? In the first place from the range of Diamine, J.Herbin and other major brands present in Europe and the UK. (no Noodlers though! these inks are out of my reach)

Thanks!

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich fein

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vates

• bemon

• Russ

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you! However, Omas is also not so easily available in my situation.

I've browsed through different topics and IIUIC, the closest may be:

Diamine Sherwood Green and Penman Emerald (the latter is a tough to find discontinued ink).

And perhaps, J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage.

Please, share your thoughts!

Welcome aboard.

Check out Cyabea's thread with all the Diamine inks. He has tested each color and you can get some ideas.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hello. Sorry to hear this. I have the MB Irish Green and it is my lifetime ( for now ) go to green and is permanantely housed ( for now ) in one of my trusty Lamy Safari's with an "EF" nib. Perfect match. I DO however have a J. Herbin "Lierre Sauvage" and have used in a similar pen and find it slightly, just slightly & ever-so slightly darker... Don't be scared, to me neglible. This is, of course if you want to stay with these makers. Have you tried looking at any Private Reserve's? They offer a huge number of colors. Also, Edelstein by Pelikan has an Aventurine which is close very close to the mark. I have this one as well, and behaves as well as the MB being on the wet side, but dries well enough for my uses. Don't know why some people want an ink to dry so fast. I know there's a reason for wanting this, but sloooow down a bit. Okay, end of tangent. Good hunting, LeRoy

Oh, thank you!
I'll definitely look into Edelstein Aventurine.

As for the PR inks: they have too many green colors to choose from. Which color is the closest to MB IG from your experience?

Cheers!

Edelstein Aventurine=No!!!! 4001 Green is better...more green-green too.

R&K Verdura beat MB Irish by a nose in a paper test I was dong, third by a neck was Pelikan 4001 green...a most under rated but widely available ink, that patted it's younger brother Edelstein Aventurine on the head while it kicked it in the pants.

Aventurine feathers on some papers.

Neither of the three green-green inks underlined feathered, all had sharp lines.

I bought a bottle of Pelikan 4001 green on sale....I wasn't into green....a year later I have 11 bottles of various greens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for you suggestion! From the samples I've seen 4001 is a nice green but Edelstein looks closer to MB IG.

Greentings!

MB Irish Green is my absolutely favorite green ink. However, the surplus of this ink in local boutiques is unstable and they often don’t have it available.

On the other hand, the famous international store, where I frequently make purchases doesn’t carry MB inks.

Could you please advice an ink similar in color and shading to the subject? In the first place from the range of Diamine, J.Herbin and other major brands present in Europe and the UK. (no Noodlers though! these inks are out of my reach)

Thanks!

I have to agree that MB Irish Green is a wonderful green.

Probably my favourite as well.

You want alternatives within UK and Europe. Where are you based?

Why not just stock up with a few bottles?

Wheelers Luxury Gifts has it for £11 a bottle with free UK Shipping.

Pen Shop has it for £11.50 with free UK shipping

As for the comparisons. I have tried J Herbin Lierre Sauvage Diamine Sherwood Green and R&K Verdura, and while I like them, they just are not the same.

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• 3 years later...

Lierre Sauvage is a little light, but Edlistein Aventura is a fairly close match. Irish Green may be a little more saturated.

• 1 month later...

Noodler's-Green Marine is a little darker and a very nice ink, plus it has some water resistance. It does shade well except for the XF size nib.

I would tend to buy Mb Irish Green, as it's readily available here. However, if you can't get it anywhere then I agree that Diamine Sherwood Green is a good alternative. :)

I would tend to buy Mb Irish Green, as it's readily available here. However, if you can't get it anywhere then I agree that Diamine Sherwood Green is a good alternative. :)

Definitely KWZ Green # 3. I can't see any difference- note the green ink under my fingernail that I can't seem to get out. That should give me some credibility as an authority of the subject, as I've clearly been experimenting :)

post-130536-0-34756800-1501002675_thumb.jpg

MB Irish Green really is the chieftain of the green inks. Diamine Sherwood Green is a bit darker and leans more to the blue side of the green spectrum, but it's a very well-behaved ink. In terms of performance, I'd rank it very close to the MB. Private Reserve's Sherwood Green leans a bit more to the yellow side of the green spectrum. In my experience, it writes a bit dry and stays moist on the page for far too long. But it may be the ink whose hue most closely approximates MB Irish Green of those I've tried.

I've never seen MB Irish Green live, but based on the photos I'd suggest Monteverde Green.

Here's a review I did on the ink.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/323859-monteverde-green/

I hear Monteverde inks are hard to find in the UK/Europe. Here's a thread discussing their availability:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/323835-monteverde-inks-in-europe/

I know the OP was looking for something easily available in Europe, but I'm including this for other people also looking for an Irish Green alternative.