What Next?...platinum, Sailor Or Another Lamy 2000

invested

Hi,

I am in the market for a new pen but am struggling with my decision.

I currently have:

-Lamy Safari - 1.1mm - fun daily user

-Lamy 2000 - EF - my favourite pen to use, comfortable, only wish a little broader nib

-Pilot Custom 74 - SF - ok to ink up and play with every so often, disappointed with size and weight of pen

-TWSBI 540 - B - like size and weight but do not pick this up as often as I had hoped

-Noodlers Ahab - love the size of the pen and find I use it as a novelty, not a daily writer

-Bexley Corona - F - love the size of the pen but have not been happy with the build quality, f nib is amazing from Binder and writes like a dream, close second behind my Lamy2000 for favourite writer

I am looking at the Sailor 1911 large and the Platinum President but am worried that I will not be happy with the size. (I think I am looking for a large pen)

Some things I am looking for:

-around $200 and under

-7-8 out of 10 wet writer

-convertor is ok as I like to change my inks often

-large size pen (as in big)

-large nib (I am ok with steel as I have been very impressed with the Bexley F nib)

Part of my struggle is that all of the things that I am currently looking for are the opposite of my favourite pen, the Lamy 2000. haha...I am second guessing myself and thinking I might just be better off with another Lamy 2000 in M....but that would not be furthering my collection...oh jeez.

Any recommendations, comments or words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also, please let me know what your next purchase is going to be and why.

Cheers,

J

Edited by invested

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• invested

• Emperor

• Abner C. Kemp

• Sirenology

Wait, so you don't like the size of the C74 but you do like the size of Twsbi 540? The seem about identical to me...

Take a look at the production Edisons on Goulet's website. May be something there for you.

I'll second the recommendation for the production Edisons. You might also look at a Platinum 3776 Century. I've got the Sai and it's an excellent writer. One of my favorites.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

Edison makes some really appealing looking pens imo. Definitely worth a look.

Platinum 3776 comes to mind. Nice sized gold nib and a classy design.

The Pilot Custom 823 can be found for just over $200. That might be my number one choice for you. It is a larger version of the Custom 74 and has a pretty big gold nib. It is also a vacuum filler which is nice to have in the collection. Probably not the best pen if your looking to change inks a lot since it has a massive capacity haha.

Delta Fusion 82 is also right around $200. The whole viscosity discussion was kind of annoying but it is a stunning pen. Delta always does a great job with detailing.

Wait, so you don't like the size of the C74 but you do like the size of Twsbi 540? The seem about identical to me...

Take a look at the production Edisons on Goulet's website. May be something there for you.

looking at the C74 and 540 side by side they do look similar, however, I find the added weight of the 540 makes this pen feel larger in hand....could just be my mind playing tricks on me though.

I will take a look at the Edison pens!

thanks,

J

Edison makes some really appealing looking pens imo. Definitely worth a look.

Platinum 3776 comes to mind. Nice sized gold nib and a classy design.

The Pilot Custom 823 can be found for just over $200. That might be my number one choice for you. It is a larger version of the Custom 74 and has a pretty big gold nib. It is also a vacuum filler which is nice to have in the collection. Probably not the best pen if your looking to change inks a lot since it has a massive capacity haha.

Delta Fusion 82 is also right around $200. The whole viscosity discussion was kind of annoying but it is a stunning pen. Delta always does a great job with detailing.

I like the styling of the 823 but am not interested in a vacuum filler at the moment. I am starting to get into inks and am constantly changing pen and ink combinations.

I will take a peek at the Delta 82. I have not heard viscosity talk so I will use my own judgement here.

Appreciated the response.

J

This photo seems to be a good size comparison of the Sailor pens to a Lamy Safari: http://www.flickr.com/photos/biffybeans/3261283827/

I have two Sailor Sapporo, which are basically a ProGear slim. My hands are small so the extra girth of the ProGear full sizes were a bit much for me. One of my Sailors has a fine nib that is very smooth, and another with a specialty nib that lays perhaps the finest line a fountain pen can produce. Based on your list, however, you may want to opt for a Medium nib if you're getting a Japanese pen, as they run finer (my Lamy Safari EF produces a line similar to my Pilot M nib)

My Sapporo are fairly light, and I don't think the Pro Gear will offer much weight despite their increased width. However, if you're interested in building your collection, the Sailor specialty nibs can be had in your listed price range from engeika (one of the few eBay sellers that quite a few members here enjoy having business with, despite the overall negative view of eBay across the forum).

How about a Parker Duofold, a Sheaffer Targa, or a Pelikan m600 or m800? The Duofolds and the Targa use converters; the Pelikans are piston fill. If you opt for the m800 the piston etc is brass and a bit heftier weight. I find all of these write relatively wet; the Pelikans in particular hold a huge amount of ink relatively speaking. All three for me are very smooth writers. The Duofolds and the Targas are available in quite an array of colors etc.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I like the styling of the 823 but am not interested in a vacuum filler at the moment. I am starting to get into inks and am constantly changing pen and ink combinations.

I will take a peek at the Delta 82. I have not heard viscosity talk so I will use my own judgement here.

Appreciated the response.

J

I think the Delta is worth a look. I think it can get a bad rap for being such an expensive pen with a steel nib. Personally, I have never used one but the reviews I have seen seem to be positive. The reason I mention it is simply because you can't fault Delta in the design area. The pens are hand spun and look magnificent imo. However, like I said, I would do some more hunting about the nib before purchasing one.

The more I think about it, your ideal pen sounds something like a Pelikan M800. Big pen (around Ahab size), large nib, solid weight. It might cost you a bit more than $200 but it might be worth holding off to save the extra funds. An M800 is a great cornerstone collection pen to begin with and it seems to fit your preferences nicely. Just a thought.

I have the Platinum Century #3776 Sai and Shoji, and I would not categorize either of them as "big." Additionally, neither is a wet writer. My Sailor 1911 is both larger and a wetter writing pen.

I enjoy big pens like the Parker Duofold (original), Pelikan M8XX, Onoto Winston Churchill, and Visconti Homo Sapiens. So maybe that's just my perspective.

Are you set on buying a modern pen, or would you be interested in looking at some of the vintage pens out there? Looking at some vintage pens can really open up opportunities for a great writing experience, get you the size you are looking for, and get that big (classic) nib.

Buzz

I have the Platinum Century #3776 Sai and Shoji, and I would not categorize either of them as "big." Additionally, neither is a wet writer. My Sailor 1911 is both larger and a wetter writing pen.

I enjoy big pens like the Parker Duofold (original), Pelikan M8XX, Onoto Winston Churchill, and Visconti Homo Sapiens. So maybe that's just my perspective.

Are you set on buying a modern pen, or would you be interested in looking at some of the vintage pens out there? Looking at some vintage pens can really open up opportunities for a great writing experience, get you the size you are looking for, and get that big (classic) nib.

Buzz

Thanks for the reply Buzz.

I go back and forth with vintage. I like that you can get a great deal more for your money, however, I enjoy working in and using things from brand new. I like knowing that I made that scratch etc.

I guess the only problem that I have now is my budget. $200 is limiting me from getting a Pelikan M800 and a Parker Duofold and even an Aurora 88.

Saving for some time could allow me to buy a much more expensive pen but I am afraid that it will become a "use at home only pen". I like the idea of buying something that for me is reasonably priced and therefore a user and also replaceable. Perhaps I am not willing to spend all of my money on my fountain pen collection just yet.

thanks,

J

Over the last couple of days, I have been using my Kaweco Sport AL, which I neglected to list in my current line up. I love how it feels in hand, no clip etc. This has brought me to thinking about the TWSBI Micarta.

Does anyone have experience with the Micarta? I see that TWSBI has changed their nib supplier since I purchased my 540, should I expect to notice a difference. Also, I believe the Micarta nib to be gold.

I am still thinking about the 1911 Large, looks like a beautiful "Classic" pen but maybe now the Micarta might fit my "Feel" needs.

Thanks everyone for their input and patience with me in this decision.

J