Visconti Blue Ripple

Raskolnikov

Hi there,

in this review I'll talk about the Visconti Ripple, a pen whose designed had started growing on me for quite some time now.

It had a very particular effect on me: at the very beginning, when I first saw it, it didn't communicate me that much. But its mesmerizing design and original pattern slowly started fascinating me till it became a "grail pen" to me.

In these few lines I'll talk about the Blue version. There have been many iterations, with silver, gold, carbon fibre overlay and with diamonds too. The one I'm talking about, along with its black counterpart, was the original release.

Appearence

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1634_zps3b853ae0.jpg

I guess one buys this pen due to its original design. The overlay is in glossy silver, coated with a very resistant laquering (which by the way it's the same used in cars' painting). The pattern reproduces waves, a sense of propagation which in Visconti's intentions represents the genius, the invention which from a single thought develops into something new.

The body is made in a pearlescent resin which in my opinion is simply stunning.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1619_zps2dd8f5b5.jpg

The "waves" propagate along the (big) cap and the pen's body, with its center being where the cap meets the body.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1630_zpsbd50c4fb.jpg

In most of the pictures the overlay looks almost black, it's much more dark bluish in person.

General Feel.

This is probably the most oversized pen in my small collection. It's also the heftier one, the Homo Sapiens is light compared to it :) This is something you definitely need to know before buying: if you like light pens, forget this one. I personally need to "feel" the pen in my hand, and this one feels just great. The perfect grip is helped by the ripples, which give you irregular surface so that the pen won't slip from your hands (and that would be terrible for your floor, trust me :) ).

To give you an idea of its size, here a group photo of some of my babies (the Divina Proporzione has called in sick, so you won't see it here).

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1631_zpsbb66d267.jpg

Filling System.

You charge the pen using the Visconti patented Power Filler, which is some sort of improved version of a vacuum filler. It's probably the system that ensures the biggest ink capacity (excluded the eyedropper system, which I don't like for other reasons). The rod's movement is smooth and the whole mechanism feels very solid.

There is not much more to say on the matter :)

Nib/Writing

I will just let the paper speak for me :)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1633_zps30aedcd3.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/foto_zps6373d24e.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1626_zps4caa420e.jpg

some comparisons.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1621_zps18328dc3.jpg

A zebra with fancy hair and a Lennon cheetah.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1620_zps5503912d.jpg

Woman in a practical dress.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1622_zps5847f966.jpg

A hippy lion, a guy and his Mondrian version.

What else to say?

It's a limited edition, only 999 pieces were made. I don't just consider it a writing instrument but also an original item of design to be collected and lovingly held :)

Along with the Divina Proporzione, it's probably one of the pen I like the most.

And if you ever run out of blunt objects to threaten the tax guy with, the Ripple makes a very nice and useful blackjack.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Towelfree/DSCN1623_zps7be00125.jpg

I'm sure I've forgotten lots of things, I'll eventually add stuff later on :)

Ciao ciao.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Raskolnikov

• Sham69

• breaker

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving the back end unscrewed and backed off just a hair lets you write it dry using ALL that fabulous ink capacity.

The only down side is trying to flush the ink completely. A trick I learned is to fill with rinse water, turn nib up, & slosh a little letting it get the dried ink in the top above the piston where you can't see.

I guess one buys this pen due to its original design.

No wonder, the design is literally hypnotic! Very nice!

Leaving the back end unscrewed and backed off just a hair lets you write it dry using ALL that fabulous ink capacity.

The only down side is trying to flush the ink completely. A trick I learned is to fill with rinse water, turn nib up, & slosh a little letting it get the dried ink in the top above the piston where you can't see.

Honestly I do not write so much that I need to do that trick, but yeah I guess that would give you constant flow.

A bit OT, I wonder how's the Carbon Dream's weight compared to this one, as in theory it should be significantly lighter (carbon and titanium) but I like that look very much.

No wonder, the design is literally hypnotic! Very nice!

Thanks, it rarely leaves my hands these days :)

shaking with anticipation for mine to come in the mail!

Looking forward to hearing your opinions then :D

Great review, it just screams "I'm having a great time here" :lol: I think this is the first time someone got a workout while writing a review ;)

Glad to see you enjoy the pen as much as we (all other owners) do, this truly is one of the greatest pens ever :)

Carbon WAS significantly lighter, so I sold it. Looked awesome with fabulous inks in board. Which made me hang onto it far too long. Perfect weight for me is standard Ripple.

Bryant may still have one. Or it might have been the Opera Master I spotted. Been awhile. Susanna at Giardino has better access sometimes if you check with her & the Euro exchange is favorable.

I'm sure I've forgotten lots of things, I'll eventually add stuff later on :)

Funny you should say that, I scrolled to the bottom hoping to see Cost/Value.

Great review by the way.

Great review by the way.

Cost is quite significant around 1000 USD is a pretty good deal. Value is determined by the purchaser, although mine has not come yet it seems to be much better value then a 149.

Well, I can get OBB nibs on 149s, but other than that, I grab my Ripples first. They're pretty! And I like the weight better.

Great review, it just screams "I'm having a great time here" :lol: I think this is the first time someone got a workout while writing a review ;)

Glad to see you enjoy the pen as much as we (all other owners) do, this truly is one of the greatest pens ever :)

Thanks for your feedback, indeed I'm having a good time with it :) You have both black and blue, right?

Carbon WAS significantly lighter, so I sold it. Looked awesome with fabulous inks in board. Which made me hang onto it far too long. Perfect weight for me is standard Ripple.

Bryant may still have one. Or it might have been the Opera Master I spotted. Been awhile. Susanna at Giardino has better access sometimes if you check with her & the Euro exchange is favorable.

Actually the weight is a trait I love in this pen, so despite the looks, which I love, it might not be my thing.

Great review by the way.

Well, the original retail price was 1300 Euro, if I am not wrong. This places the pen in the high-end layer of the market but is probably a deserved placement.

In my case, I had the chance to get it for a much lower price (one just needs to stay tuned and check the usual selling areas for one to pop up), which makes me say that the cost/value parameter was great.