Looking To Buy And Esterbrook

Aray924

I am looking to buy an Esterbrook and i am wondering what the average price of a J series is? what is a reputable website to buy them from? What are some things i should be wary of?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Aray924

• Gloucesterman

• WirsPlm

Top Posters In This Topic

Restored, about $25 and UP, depending on the bidding on eBay.

I've seen some go for as much as $75, and there may have been others even higher.

And there have been good deals.

There is no way to say what the pen will actually sell for on eBay.

I would try Andersons Pens as one source.

I have seen others, but I have no knowledge about them.

Unless the seller specifically says the ink sac has been replaced, you should assume that you have an OLD sac. The problem is even if the sac is flexible and holds ink, you do not know how close you are to a sac failure; tomorrow, next year, 5 years from now. When I get an Esterbrook, unless the sac was specifically listed as replaced, as a standard procedure, I replace the sac, no matter the condition of the sac in the pen. Then I don't worry about it for the next 10-15+ years. Unless you resac the pen yourself, you need to budget this repair, which will add to cost of the pen. So you might as well just look for a restored pen.

Ideally you want a clip, and a clip that is NOT bent (which some are).

The other thing to watch out for is the nib. If you buy a pen with a XF nib, and you want a M nib, you have to buy a M nib. Worse, if you want a B or flex nib, as those are/can be HARD/EXPENSIVE to find. So you should look for a pen with the nib that you want.

There are other things that some of the other guys can tell you.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I typically get Esties for under $10 on eBay, but then I restore them myself, for an average cost of less than $15 per pen ($2 sac, $5 J bar if needed, amortized heat gun and a few cents of talc). If the pen needs a new nib that can add about $10 (more for a specialized nib).

You can check them out on etsy.com although there are fewer than eBay and they may cost more. You might be able to make an offer to someone on etsy. I have done it 2 or 3 times and bought at least one item for less than advertised.

Ditto on making sure it says that the sac has been replaced.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Esterbrooks are a great entry in to vintage pens. I got mine online at Peyton Street Pens and highly recommend them. They sell their pens restored and replace the sacs before selling them, so you won't have to worry about getting something that you have to repair right away.

As ac12 said, the most common nibs are fine (like the 1556 and 2556) or the medium (like the 2668, which I have - a very good nib). I have attached a link that gives a list of Esterbrook nibs and a better description of them.

http://www.esterbrook.net/nibs.shtml

The broad and flex nibs are pretty rare, from what I have seen.

Overall, Esties are excellent pens and you should enjoy using one.

Jeff

Thank you for all of the info. It sounds like old sacks are like leaky head gaskets. You never know when they will go.

The real problems is, if the sac is original, it is likely over 50 years old.

So it is simply the rubber degrading over time.

I have opened a few pens where the sac had turned brittle and was flaking apart, and I also had sacs that were flexible and felt just like a new sac. But as someone told me, I have the pen apart, so why not just replace the sac, even if it looks new, it only costs me a $2 sac + a tiny bit of sac cement and talc + time, then I don't have to worry about the pen for the next 10-15+ years.

If you really want a durable sac, use a silicone sac from David Nishimura (www.vintagepens.com).

http://www.vintagepens.com/FAQrepair/pen_sacs.shtml

I have not gotten to that stage yet, as I'm fine with the rubber/latex sacs, but I might for selected pens like a Sheaffer Snorkel.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com