Pens Made Of Stone?

Joe Penmanship

tumblr_o3x7i87ZUH1rhumyro1_1280.jpg

Is there a way to delete this thread??? We don't want my wife to find out about this St Dupont.

Edited by northstar

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joe Penmanship

• Inspector

• Inkling13

• Ink-mark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All,

I'm resurrecting this post because I came across a 'stone' pen in a small Lot that I picked up. It's certainly not a pen that I plan on keeping mainly because it is so heavy (almost 55g) and t he steel nib is far too fine.

However, it is a very pretty piece and if I were to replace the nib then I'd possibly even consider having it as a desk pen.

I'm no expert, but I've never seen a natural stone in this design (could be wrong!), so I imagine that it's some sort of composite?

There is no indication as to who made it or where it was made, so I imagine it came from a small workshop.

fpn_1457694438__1.jpg

fpn_1457694478__2.jpg

fpn_1457694510__3.jpg

There looks to be a crack on the cap near where the clip is attached. I've made a Lot of stone pens, and in the process ruined a lot of stone pens LOL. I've never had one crack with such a perfectly straight line, especially when the vein composition of the material seems to be so swirly and chaotic. My best guess is this is not a pure stone pen though it may be some sort of composite. Even the stone-infused resins can be on the hefty side.

-John
Take time to stop and ink

After much research and perusal of this site and others (thanks all of you for your comments that put me onto many fascinating paths), I decided that I was definitely not the guy to turn my bones into pens as per my original posting.

But I love that some people have indeed managed to fashion stone pens in some way or another.

That amethyst pen, although not turned on a lathe the way I was foreseeing things, is still pretty spectacular!

• 3 weeks later...

There looks to be a crack on the cap near where the clip is attached. I've made a Lot of stone pens, and in the process ruined a lot of stone pens LOL. I've never had one crack with such a perfectly straight line, especially when the vein composition of the material seems to be so swirly and chaotic. My best guess is this is not a pure stone pen though it may be some sort of composite. Even the stone-infused resins can be on the hefty side.

Hi

Yes, it is a crack, and I couldn't understand quite how it happened there. As you say, its straight and clean.

The amethyst pen is fantastic, I want one!! My husband is a lapidary and a FP fan, can't wait to show this to him!!

• 2 weeks later...

A member on IAP does "stone" pens on a regular basis, using "specialty" tooling. He has done marble and other stones. As for me, the only stone turned pen that I have made is alabaster.

• 2 weeks later...

While not turned from stone, this alabaster-like acrylic pen was made by Jonathon Brooks and it really does resemble stone in person.

post-99317-0-28668200-1464437880_thumb.jpeg

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 1 year later...

Brooks803, quite serendipitous that I ran across this thread. I am the one who had John at GW Pens make a lapis pen. I love the thing and use it almost every day. It's got an 18K gold nib and a great weight and feel. He did a great job.

post-137409-0-94203900-1498063911_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

hertzig a german pen maker used to make stone turned ink pens

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I'm resurrecting this post because I came across a 'stone' pen in a small Lot that I picked up. It's certainly not a pen that I plan on keeping mainly because it is so heavy (almost 55g) and t he steel nib is far too fine.

However, it is a very pretty piece and if I were to replace the nib then I'd possibly even consider having it as a desk pen.

I'm no expert, but I've never seen a natural stone in this design (could be wrong!), so I imagine that it's some sort of composite?

There is no indication as to who made it or where it was made, so I imagine it came from a small workshop.

fpn_1457694438__1.jpg

fpn_1457694478__2.jpg

fpn_1457694510__3.jpg

This pen doesn't looke like stone at all, but rather, black crackle paint on a red background. I could be wrong, but that is what the pattern looks like.