Getting Rid Of Hard Rubber Oxidation

zap210

I know this topic has been discussed many many times but I thought I would post an FYI.

Recently, for old times sake, I purchased a Waterman #12 (with a B manifold nib of course) to restore just for kicks. It was completely brown with oxidation. I used Novus #2 fine scratch remover and alot of elbow grease to remove the oxidation without removing the Waterman imprint. This will not convert the oxidation, but it will remove it without significantly removing material from the pen.

When I was a luthier I used the stuff for the final polish on my french polish (shellac) and lacquer (nitro) guitars. It is also one of the very few scratch removers to work on polycarbonate. Good stuff!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tryphon

• Glenn Atkins

• zap210

• Inkling13

In the end game though, you are still removing material. There are a couple of treatments that don't remove any material and restore the black luster of ebonite available. While it worked for you, it may not be a viable option for someone with a pen with a lot of delicate chasing and machining.

• 2 years later...

I've just used Novus No. 2 Fine Scratch Remover on a Delta Astra (1995) made of BHR that was significantly discolored on one side, probably left open in a display case exposed to sunlight for too long. The Novus and quite a bit of elbow grease restored the finish to original black 90-100%. The amount of material removed is indiscernibly small and the extensive engraving on the barrel was not compromised. I would be careful using Novus around gold-plated trim. I use masking tape to protect that. I am concerned about the long-term result, but only time will tell. The pen, which has never been inked, now looks great.

post-12895-0-21546500-1452657149_thumb.jpg

post-12895-0-34814100-1452657162_thumb.jpg

post-12895-0-49512100-1452657187_thumb.jpg

post-12895-0-00993200-1452657211_thumb.jpg

post-12895-0-09000400-1452657238_thumb.jpg

Edited by menoeceus

In the end game though, you are still removing material. There are a couple of treatments that don't remove any material and restore the black luster of ebonite available. While it worked for you, it may not be a viable option for someone with a pen with a lot of delicate chasing and machining.

Which treatments are these? Thanks.

Glenn

One such treatment was my G10 of about ten years ago. It was rather controversial and I stopped producing the stuff: it was not worth it, given the small profits it generated. If you just want to remove the oxidized layer, you can use an oven cleaner.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Which treatments are these? Thanks.

Glenn

Syd Saperstein sells a dye specifically for this:

Pen Potion #9

http://www.pensburymanor.com/pensburymanor/Pensbury_Manor_Home.html

I have some but haven't tried it. I have some pens that other people have restored (who might have more talented hands than I do) and they look great.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Syd Saperstein sells a dye specifically for this:

Pen Potion #9

I have some but haven't tried it. I have some pens that other people have restored (who might have more talented hands than I do) and they look great.

Same here, have it, haven't tried it. And thanks @Giovanni.

Glenn

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the necropost, but it's topical.

Tryphon, what do you mean by "an oven cleaner"?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

• 3 years later...
On 1/13/2016 at 8:16 PM, tryphon said:

One such treatment was my G10 of about ten years ago. It was rather controversial and I stopped producing the stuff: it was not worth it, given the small profits it generated. If you just want to remove the oxidized layer, you can use an oven cleaner.

Reviving this one. Oven cleaner!?

Anyone else have any products that do not remove material when cleaning BCHR/BHR and removing oxidation?

I only really re-blacken hard rubber when it is smooth with no chasing, and then using metallic adhesive tape, I protect the imprint and fitments from the aggressive polishing required.

A few years ago a customer showed me a very nice condition pen, I pointed out  the lighter tone around the imprint, indicating oxidised layer had been carefully removed. When I asked him who had carried out the work, answer YOU DID ! it had been quite  few years previously 😞

et 

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/