2014 M101N Red Tortoise Le

E8x8

I see that martiniauctions is accepting pre-orders for a M101N Red Tortoise. I think the red color would complement quite well the M101n Lizard LE in a collection. Expected availability is September.

I really like the M101Ns. Speaking for myself, I think the series has the nicest modern Pelikan nibs and one of the best form factors. However, my excitement is tempered by the asking price of 360 Euros. That's $492US at current exchange rates. Correct me if I am wrong but this is a bit of a price jump from the initial release price of previous M101n LE tortoises.

What do you think of the Red Tortoise LE and will you be saving up for it?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E8x8

• Guy007

• pmn

• mirosc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was announced some time ago and I prefer it much over the current M101N tortoise which is waaaays too green. If I remember correctly the initial price tag is not that uncommon for martiniauctions, wait some months / a year and you will get it cheaper for sure.

I would be saving for it if the cap were in tortoise, too. But not like this.

Greetings,

Michael

I have to agreed the green tortoise is nicer looking in the photographs than in reality.

Sometimes it works the other way around too. I found the M400 white tortoise unappealing in the online ads. The white cap clashed with the binde. But I took a chance and bought it anyways to add to the flock. It turned out to be a good purchase. The cap is actually cream colored. Also, if you hold the pen to the light and rotate it slowly, when the red portions of the binde catches the sunlight, it sparkles with a fiery glow.

The picture at martiniauctions looks like a vintage Magnum, just to illustrate the colour scheme, I'd say.

Is there other picture or rendering of the of the pen?

I'm very curious to see that one.

p.s. a two tone nib?

Now that you mentioned it - you're right, the photograph is that of a Magnum used as a placeholder. I guess it's too early to release official photographs. Martiniauctions is the only site that I am aware of that even mentions the 2014 special edition.

Edited by E8x8

Don't tempt me :-) Based on the photographs I have already decided not to like the white one...

Hope this photograph displays well enough to show that the cream color cap really works well with the rest of the pen. Can you see the "fire" close to the section? It is an amazing effect.

post-102798-0-37082500-1389488103.jpg

Similarly, I don't think the picture on Martiniauctions web site does the pen justice; I have seen better photographs of the Magnum and if the M101n Red is similar, it should be a stunner.

Edited by E8x8

Similarly, I don't think the picture on Martiniauctions web site does the pen justice; I have seen better photographs of the Magnum and if the M101n Red is similar, it should be a stunner.

I totally agree!

More, if you take in consideration that the Magnum is an oversized 100N.

I see that martiniauctions is accepting pre-orders for a M101N Red Tortoise. I think the red color would complement quite well the M101n Lizard LE in a collection. Expected availability is September.

I really like the M101Ns. Speaking for myself, I think the series has the nicest modern Pelikan nibs and one of the best form factors. However, my excitement is tempered by the asking price of 360 Euros. That's $492US at current exchange rates. Correct me if I am wrong but this is a bit of a price jump from the initial release price of previous M101n LE tortoises.

What do you think of the Red Tortoise LE and will you be saving up for it?

The pre order price she quotes for the new Red pen is inline with the 'buy it now' of the SE or Lizard she has. That said if you wait for her auctions it could probably be had for a 100 less

What is interesting is the fact it says the nib is two tone (rather than the single tone of the previous two pens) so does that mean it is going to use a standard nib from an M400 or something new ?

I have the SE and lizard and my preference is for the Tortoise, but for me the size of the pen is a little small for my everyday use.

I also was wary of the white Tortoise, but as mentioned, it is more cream and the colouring works well with the gold trim, but I went with the M600 size. Nice pen other than my previously mentioned comment that I think the nibs on the M600 seem proportionally too small for the pen.

Edited by Guy007

Are you sure its a LE pen and not a SE? The only m101 LE pen I know is the M101n Jubilee which sells at about 1800 euro.

Pelikan nut

Are you sure its a LE pen and not a SE? The only m101 LE pen I know is the M101n Jubilee which sells at about 1800 euro.

LE Jubilee may RRP for 1800 ( or more now on some sites ), but it sells for about 1000 euro or $1300. The SE - lizard or Tortoise sell for $300-500.

I can't remember if I added the "LE" in or whether it was on the Martiniauctions site originally but now deleted. But the two-tone nib is an interesting teaser. This might indicate that the Red is not going to be a regular sized M101n but perhaps super-sized like the Magnum.

I can't remember if I added the "LE" in or whether it was on the Martiniauctions site originally but now deleted. But the two-tone nib is an interesting teaser. This might indicate that the Red is not going to be a regular sized M101n but perhaps super-sized like the Magnum.

The item is still there ( on the main page list ), just the pictures are gone, as is the mention of the nib type... What's fun it's using the colours from the red Toledo and the popular Tortoise pattern. This can't be the only special/new editon this year, so I wonder what else and when will also be announced.

Edited by Guy007

• 2 weeks later...

Any confirmation from Pelikan?

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

It is very, very intriguing....The two-tone nib is still mentioned on their site, which if correct would really set it apart from the other new 101's.

I agree with you guys, I think it will be something special and a magnum size fits the bill. If they get the colours right, it could be amazing indeed....

Can't decide whether to go for the pre-order and fork out when it arrives or just wait and see...

Damn, September is so far away !!