J Herbin - Tempest

JPR75

Few weeks ago I was surprised to see a J. Herbin “Tempest “ (“Tempête”) fountain pen in a big store in Paris. I could not resist to the temptation of buying one.

It is an eyedropper crystal fountain pen. It is available in 5 colors (black, blue, red, orange and transparent) in a box with 4 inks (10 ml bottles) or alone.

The user manual is available here: http://www.mobile-lavigne.fr/Tempete-Herbin/#en

Packaging

The fountain pain is packaged in a black box with the logo of J. Herbin drawn on it. It’s a pretty cardboard box.

tempete_jh_box.jpg

Appearance

• Length capped: 153 mm / 6.02 in
  • Length without cap: 137 mm / 5.39 in
  • Cap length: 68 mm / 2.68 in
  • Weight capped and filled with ink: 20 g / 0.7 oz
  • Ink capacity : 2.2 ml

tempete_jh_pen.jpg

The Tempest is a light fountain pen. When I take it in my hand, it gives me a feeling of “It’s too much plastic”. Personally I like heavy pen, and I would have appreciated a metal ring on the body to make it heavier. Nevertheless, the Tempest is an elegant and pleasant looking pen with its oblong tail.

tempete_jh_pen3.jpg

The cap screws on the pen.

Nib

The Tempest has an iridium nib with the ship / logo of Herbin engraved on it. The nib is shiny and looks beautiful.

As far I as know only a medium size is available.

tempete_jh_nib2.jpg

Filling

The eyedropper included in the box to fill the pen is made of glass. I didn’t use it. I prefer to use a syringe. There is no marking on the body of the pen, so you have to guess when to stop the filling.

Nothing special to say about the filling, just drop ink in the fountain pen. I added some silicone grease on the threads.

Writing test

tempete_jh_text.jpg

The Tempest was difficult to start. It took some effort before the ink flowed through the nib. The ink flow was very wet before becoming more and more dry and finally stopped after 2 or 3 lines. Sometime new pens act like that, but after several days and having filled 2 pages of my notebook, the Tempest was still a rebel and it was a pain to use it.

I tried to wash the nib: with a big syringe I pushed water through the nib a few times. That helped. Now, the Tempest starts writing immediately. The ink flow is regular but a little bit dry (compared to my TWSBI 580 for example).

tempete_jh_text2.jpg

Conclusion

I like the shape of the Tempest. It’s a fun pen. But writing with it is a little bit disappointing (maybe I should wash the nib better).

For 90 € (122 $), I find it to be rather expensive and I was expecting a better pen.

Edited by JPR75

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPR75

• hsianloon

• dr saleem ali

• mehandiratta

Hm...was expecting more when I saw the box ! But as you say, 90 is too much for a somewhat unremarkable pen as per your description....

I appreciate your love for a new pen ,but ink-flow disappointed you as well as the cost. I agreee the cost is not justified , because of steel nib ,and eye-droppers donot have a piston or or any typ eof converter. INMHOP, there should be no problem of flow with the eye-droppers ,sometimes they rathr overflow when ink is ending .Pens might have disturbance of flow because of malalingment of nibs with feed ,more distance b/w feed and nib or some dirt clogging the feed .so agood cleaning as indicated in 'Instruction manual" can hlp or if you fail send back to the company,so they can fix it up.it should have been a good pen !

It looks remarkably similar to various Indian eyedroppers. Are you sure it is glass? Looks to me like the barrel has been drilled.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

It looks remarkably similar to various Indian eyedroppers. Are you sure it is glass? Looks to me like the barrel has been drilled.

The pen is made of plastic. The little eyedropper soled with it to fill the pen is glass.

Sorry for the confusion, I changed the text to make it more clear.

A valuable review and good insight into what not to buy, should it appear on this side of the Atlantic.

Thank you.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

A valuable review and good insight into what not to buy, should it appear on this side of the Atlantic.

Thank you.

Thnak you

• 4 weeks later...

My very first post in FPN:

Thank you for your review. I bumped into it today and was wondering about it.

I didn't have my reading glasses with me then so I couldn't see the nib so clearly.

It was good of you to review it. Cheers!

Edited by Whitepomfret

Looks a bit like the Recife Crystal eyedropper pen, which comes with a steel nib and an eyedropper as well. Comparing the two, I prefer the more rounded shape of the Crystal's barrel. Also, the section on the Crystal matches the color of the cap--I can't tell if that's also the case with the JH pen. A quick check suggests that the two models are similarly priced--maybe the same manufacturer?.

thx for the review. i'm not a fan of ED pesn -tho I own a couple. one thing I do like is the engraving on the nib :thumbup: looks beautiful!

An interesting looking pen, but I feel like clear pens don't appeal to me. If I ever get one, I'll be perpetually paranoid about getting it scratched.

Thanks for the review. Just what I was looking for.

Did you buy the standalone version or the one with ink bottles? Yet, I agree that its expensive. I would consider buying one if it had a reasonable price (~US$40), I love demonstrators.

Intresting,

First we have resin, celluloid, wood, even 50-50 lava basalt resin mix, glass, various alloys of metal for barrel,

I do wonder if there's another interesting body the Europeans have come up with

Id laugh if the native Romans made a FP barrel out of solid white or black marble. because id totally buy it just because.

Zack

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

• 1 year later...

That does look very like a number of Indian eyedroppers. I think the ASA Galatic was about 30 euros (with choice of nib sizes), Walitys are cheaper still, so 90 euros for an Herbin ED seems excessive if it is not better quality, and from your review it sounds that it is not any better.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Looking at it and reading the review I was expecting something around $30-40 so I was a little shocked to see $90 pop up. At the lower price I'd give it a spin for its money, but at $90 I'm afraid I will steer clear. Could be a very nice though, depending on what ink you put in it.

• 8 months later...

I have been using a clear version for almost six months now. I agree with you in most of your comments! It is really overpriced, and it had some issues with starting at the beginning. I took out the nib and washed the feed... That solved the problem.

I would like to add two additional notes. I think cap and threads are very poorly designed. In closed position, the cap still doesn't feel securely locked and moves a bit to sides when you push it. Secondly, I recently noticed a very small crack, and I am afraid that it will get bigger.

This was a present to me, so I don't feel too bad about its price, but it is an expensive pen and very poorly designed. It looks gorgeous, though.

Thank you for the review...

In India we have Wality/Airmail Pens manufactured .... almost similar clear crystal barrel... but design is new on J. Herbin....

I have already reviewed Wality 71 JT and below is the pic of the same.... Though the nib on Wality pens are hit or miss ... but i have changed the nib on 71JT to Ambitious 35 mm...

img_20150613_1756562-01.jpeg?w=768

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter