Left Hander - Looking For Quick-To-Learn Style Of Handwriting

WirlWind

Howdy,

So I did a quick search of the forum but wasn't able to readily find something akin to what I wanted to know.

I went to school in NSW (Australia) in the 90's, where they were teaching a very basic linked style (I don't recall the name off hand) and didn't spend much time with me personally because I'm left handed and also my teacher during the years spent learning penmanship disliked me and spent no time with me at all (At one point, she yelled at me and berated me in front of the whole class for not knowing how to spell my last name, Brodhurst-Hill, despite being 6 and only recently taken up the name). I've basically had to cobble together my own style of (terrible) handwriting and I'm starting to really hate it. I can write quickly enough, but the terrible mess sometimes is barely even readable by me without a bit of effort, a few months down the line (thankfully, the samples I provided are at least readable. These are what I would consider a good day for my writing).

I've just started an IT Diploma course where I'll be having to take a LOT of notes BY HAND. I was getting hand cramps with ballpoints in earlier courses and tried out an FP from a friend and noticed I was able to write for longer + loved the experience. So I did a bunch of research and bought a bunch of pens (Imperial IV Touchdown fine/med is on the way, I have a Parker 51 Aero with 14k fine nib atm, a fine Platinum Preppy and an EF Hero 616 which is going to my brother) and suddenly I have some kind of illness... Must have more pens...

I've done some basic (an hour or two) searching around the internet and forums to try and find something that's more dedicated towards south-paws which includes some kind of structured learning + printable sheets for practice and drills, but I keep finding fragments of nothing much. I'm not really THAT fussed about what the style is, as long as it's "easy" to learn and it is catered (at least partly) towards lefties.

I started reading the Palmers method, but that seems to be more designed around having a desk and sitting in the correct position, where normally I have a desk that is too high, or (in class) I have to turn 90 / 180 degrees to see the board + there are keyboards in the way. To say that I usually write in somewhat cramped conditions is an understatement -_- Even if I got the lecture tables, they're designed around right handers and leave no room for my arm to rest using palmers.

Is there anything a fellow leftie out there has used to improve their handwriting, preferably speedy and readable first and foremost, that isn't a bunch of cobbled together tidbits from across the web? I know there's plenty of free content for righties, but struggling to find stuff that's free for lefties :(

Attached are two quick snaps of my handwriting ON A GOOD DAY from an earlier course. I didn't have any samples of a bad day on hand, but imagine a smaller and tighter together version of this:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/WirlWind494/20140109_133152.jpg

This (top) is a short burst of writing, stays pretty readable thankfully. The issue is more like below when taking a lot of notes quickly. It tends to fall apart.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/WirlWind494/20140109_133248.jpg

And for those wondering, that 2nd one is for an assessment for the Cert 3 - Network Admin course. Had to keep written notes on every step required to reinstall windows XP. God, that class was boring XD

Edited by WirlWind

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WirlWind

• Nanny

• Newjelan

• kidde

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you draw (artistically)? Penmanship wasn't taught in my school, and I printed longer than necessary. I found a basic script font on the computer and copied it, over and over for quite a while. In stress I will revert to print, but my cursive is now legible.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Hi Wirlwind, I'm also left-handed, went to school in Aus in the 1970s and the only handwriting I learned was the same basic linked style you mentioned (with a ballpoint). So, I think there are many of us out there who never learned to write well. Until recently, my handwriting looked like a slightly larger, rounder version of yours - slope all over the place, scrawl when writing fast etc.

I have recently taught myself basic italic script. I chose Italic because I like the style and I read that it is simple, supports quick writing and is suitable for left-handers. (I found many of the other styles too difficult or too fancy.)

I bought a child's handwriting pad/book for left left handed children (via a UK website for left handers I think, or maybe The Writing Desk). This was really useful as it taught me some basic structures and techniques I'd never learned at school. I printed some guidelines to help with basic italic script and maintaining some semblance of consistency of slope. (It's still variable, but less than it was.) I also bought the Italic Penmanship Copybook Pad from http://www.pensdeluxe.ashop.com.au/ (no affiliation).

Employees have been telling me that my notes are so much easier to read and I'm now receiving compliments from clients when they see me writing notes in meetings! On top of that, for the first time ever, I'm getting a feeling of rhythm when I write (sometimes).

Good luck with your efforts, I'm sure with the help of a few simple techniques, you'll see a rapid improvement.

Hi Wirlwind, I'm also left-handed, went to school in Aus in the 1970s and the only handwriting I learned was the same basic linked style you mentioned (with a ballpoint). So, I think there are many of us out there who never learned to write well. Until recently, my handwriting looked like a slightly larger, rounder version of yours - slope all over the place, scrawl when writing fast etc.

I have recently taught myself basic italic script. I chose Italic because I like the style and I read that it is simple, supports quick writing and is suitable for left-handers. (I found many of the other styles too difficult or too fancy.)

I bought a child's handwriting pad/book for left left handed children (via a UK website for left handers I think, or maybe The Writing Desk). This was really useful as it taught me some basic structures and techniques I'd never learned at school. I printed some guidelines to help with basic italic script and maintaining some semblance of consistency of slope. (It's still variable, but less than it was.) I also bought the Italic Penmanship Copybook Pad from http://www.pensdeluxe.ashop.com.au/ (no affiliation).

Employees have been telling me that my notes are so much easier to read and I'm now receiving compliments from clients when they see me writing notes in meetings! On top of that, for the first time ever, I'm getting a feeling of rhythm when I write (sometimes).

Good luck with your efforts, I'm sure with the help of a few simple techniques, you'll see a rapid improvement.

Cheers for the support, I suppose I might have to eventually accept that I might need to drop some money on a book for lefties if there's not a good online resource. I think I remember seeing a "Handwriting for lefties" that was aimed more around the UK School style cursive, but that was a 3-parter and $7 a pop before postage, so I decided to see if anyone had anything online first. As for my handwriting, sometimes it does get larger and loopier. I am really damned inconsistent. Thankfully, I'm not at the point where I have people judging my handwriting (in business), which is why I'm trying to sort it out now.

I don't think I want to go into a career in IT which will often have a lot of clients + handwritten notes if I can't write like a human (rather than a chimp on acid like I currently do :P)

Can you draw (artistically)? Penmanship wasn't taught in my school, and I printed longer than necessary. I found a basic script font on the computer and copied it, over and over for quite a while. In stress I will revert to print, but my cursive is now legible.

Paul

Heh, that first image should give you an indication of my drawing level :P In the past, I've done some "artistic" stuff, but not a great drawer. I did a lot of abstract stuff with watercolour pencils and paints when I was younger, plus the occasional well-done symbol or icon (I freehand drew a really cool Heart-o-gram on my old case for my sister, was circled and had a tail and looked pretty badass), but if I ever tried to draw a dog, it would come out looking like a kangaroo mated with Krang from TMNT.

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

It should never be a problem for lefties! I have taught the italic hand to many right and left handers, and with simple posture instructuions handwriting should be easy, legible and rapid.

Get comfortable! Place the paper to your left; tilt it so the upper right-hand corner is nearest the center of your body (see image). hold your pen in the traditional tripod manner. Now pull downstrokes toward your elbow.

It should never be a problem for lefties! I have taught the italic hand to many right and left handers, and with simple posture instructuions handwriting should be easy, legible and rapid.

Get comfortable! Place the paper to your left; tilt it so the upper right-hand corner is nearest the center of your body (see image). hold your pen in the traditional tripod manner. Now pull downstrokes toward your elbow.post-93151-0-88520600-1389265551_thumb.jpg

Get comfortable! Place the paper to your left; tilt it so the upper right-hand corner is nearest the center of your body (see image). hold your pen in the traditional tripod manner. Now pull downstrokes toward your elbow.attachicon.giflft hand w paper.jpgattachicon.giflft hand w paper.jpg

I think it's more a matter of having to get my muscle memory in line + fixing my grip and posture, but again, posture is pretty much always going to be an issue in my case. I generally have the paper tilted in the opposite direction (so my hand skips the ink and it has a slant) , since I tend to either slightly hook or side-write. I suppose I can try and learn underwriting.

Also, did you have a vid or two on youtube Nan? I think I ran across a vid with a lady in her (I guess...) 60's named Nan.

Yep, many left-handers use italic and use it very well. Would recommend the online version of Arrighi's La Operina for a quick study. The classic example of italic, this book has helped many develop the visual memory of how to construct italic letters. This visual memory is essential for properly writing the script. Good news, only a month or so of practice is needed for most of us to achieve a working knowledge of the script.

Also, check the resources -- I think I saw a short video on YouTube that was done by a leftie. Study, research, practice!

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?