Pelikan M200 Vs Edison Beaumont. Which To Invest In?

DrPhilth

No I do not, although have heard amazing things about it. If you don't mind even MORE questions, how is the custom 74? Yet again, comparable to Edison Pearlette?
And I might actually preffer pearlette over beaumont now knowing the nib is not THAT small on the #5's

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heymatthew

• DrPhilth

• Lady P

• Sham69

No I do not, although have heard amazing things about it. If you don't mind even MORE questions, how is the custom 74? Yet again, comparable to Edison Pearlette?

And I might actually preffer pearlette over beaumont now knowing the nib is not THAT small on the #5's

Oh boy... Now you've gone and done it. I don't have a Custom 74 anymore but I miss it dearly. Something to keep in mind with Pilot (or Platinum or Sailor) is that their nibs tend to be more "springy" than their German or American-made steel-nibbed counterparts (except for Pelikan, which has a springy steel nib). This isn't a bad thing, but early in my days of fountain pen ownership, I wrote too heavily and didn't care for their nibs. Now that I've gotten accustomed to my writing style with fountain pens, I enjoy gold nibs.

The Custom 74 is in a different boat than the Edison or the Pelikan, but probably closer to the Pelikan. I hope that if Brian Gray reads this he won't be offended, but I sort of see Edison pens as a utilitarian working pen. They're sturdy, well-made and no-nonsense. Get the color and shape and size you want and pick your nib (they all write exactly the same albeit with different line widths). Then, stick it in your pocket or purse or pen pouch or whatever and have at it. They're great pens, made to be used. I think Brian Goulet uses a Custom 74 as a daily writer. I would pick a Custom 74 or an Edison over a Pelikan M200/205/215 any day. I would have a hard time choosing between a 74 and an Edison, though.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

off topic, but what type of wax do you use to wax your pens?

xxxxxxxx

I had been recommending natural carnauba car wax; but some one said not to with in the last 6 weeks or so. But it had been recommended for a long time.

Renascence wax has been given a big major no no just recently too!!

...a couple of years ago....it was big for use. It causes damage in museums.

:blush: I use Old English spray furniture polish. Something like Pledge...I just never got across town to pick up some of that good carnuaba car wax. Spray into a paper towel and wipe on and polish off. Works fine.

I've also used Turtle wax. If one has finger polished the pen with Semi-Chrome and buffed it off with a flannel rag, then one can use Turtle wax, even though it as a polish is a bit more abrasive than a pure carauba wax...which is not a polish.

It might not be good for hard rubber or '30's celluloid, which I didn't have back then.

I drive though car washes. :P

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Oh boy... Now you've gone and done it. I don't have a Custom 74 anymore but I miss it dearly. Something to keep in mind with Pilot (or Platinum or Sailor) is that their nibs tend to be more "springy" than their German or American-made steel-nibbed counterparts (except for Pelikan, which has a springy steel nib). This isn't a bad thing, but early in my days of fountain pen ownership, I wrote too heavily and didn't care for their nibs. Now that I've gotten accustomed to my writing style with fountain pens, I enjoy gold nibs.

The Custom 74 is in a different boat than the Edison or the Pelikan, but probably closer to the Pelikan. I hope that if Brian Gray reads this he won't be offended, but I sort of see Edison pens as a utilitarian working pen. They're sturdy, well-made and no-nonsense. Get the color and shape and size you want and pick your nib (they all write exactly the same albeit with different line widths). Then, stick it in your pocket or purse or pen pouch or whatever and have at it. They're great pens, made to be used. I think Brian Goulet uses a Custom 74 as a daily writer. I would pick a Custom 74 or an Edison over a Pelikan M200/205/215 any day. I would have a hard time choosing between a 74 and an Edison, though.

Ugh... No, now YOU have gone and done it. I NOW HAVE 3 PENS I'M DECIDING BETWEEN. Your fault. Haha jk

But TBH... I think this thread just went out the window and I might go for the Pilot ha.

And to add to my barrage of questions, (Assuming you are like me and like finer nibs, and you had a fine nib) how is the nib on that bad boy? Is it smooth? Give a lot of feedback?

I have all three pens, well, actually a M215, and the Beaumont in the pneumatic filler. Both the Pelikan and the Beaumont have fine nibs, and the Custom 74 I had in a broad nib that has been reground by Richard Binder to a 0.9 stub. All of the nibs were smooth, with the M215 having the most feedback and the more dry of the writers. If I had the choice to make now, I would personally go with the Edison because of the person who stands behind the company. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, especially if you get the pens from a source that will tune them up (align nibs, etc.) before shipping to you.

As to piston vs c/c fillers, I think it depends on how you use the pen. If you are going to stick to one or two pens, and stick to one color most of the time, the larger capacity of the piston is great. I have a bit of pen ADD and usually have at least 6+ pens filled with a variety of colors, a converter works for me just fine, and is easier to clean up.

The Long Island Pen Show is usually on the Hofstra campus, and usually happens in mid-March. You'd be able to test all three of these pens out at Richard Binder's table. In fact, if you can make it to the Philadelphia Pen Show next weekend, you can find all three pens here as well.

Have fun weighing your choices! For some of us, the hunt is half the fun.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

Would go for the Edison,nice pen to use as a daily writer,the pelikan m200 is too small (for me but i think it's the case for lot of people)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

If it helps you out any, here's a rather blurry photo of my Pelikan EF as compared to a few others...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7398/9584235179_ac29b5d37d_h.jpg

I snagged this from my own post about the broadness of the nib here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/251333-ef-nib-seems-very-broad-comparison-photo-included/

Holy s*** the Pelikan is broad.
You think it'd be worth getting it ground to a true xf?
If so how much would that cost to get it ground from Richard Binder?

Holy s*** the Pelikan is broad.

You think it'd be worth getting it ground to a true xf?

If so how much would that cost to get it ground from Richard Binder?

I didn't have Richard do mine. PMing you the details on that so as not to ruffle any feathers. :D

The thing to keep in mind about Pelikan nibs is that they seem to be pretty inconsistent in terms of thickness. My M215 fine nib is only marginally thinner than my M200 medium nib. If you got two M2xx's with fine nibs, chances are, one would lay a thicker line than the other...

I think Pelikan just puts the same nib on everything and marks it differently. Nobody orders an EF, F, M and B at the same time to be able to compare them anyway so how would one know? :D

Basically, if you're not willing to gamble in terms of line thickness, then you should either give up on Pelikans, or you should buy one from someone who can grind the nib to your liking. But apart from such problems, Pelikans are excellent writers (the best that I've encountered so far).

Edited by Lady P

I agree on the Pelikan nib sizes being inconsistent. I had a F and an EF and there was barely any difference.

I like a bigger nib so for me this is easy, go for the Beaumont. I think it is a more attractive pen. Plus, Edison is based in the good ole' USA and a great company with incredible customer service. Those are important factors to me.

On the subject of posting the M200, of the ~10 pens I own, it's the only one I actually find well balanced when posted since the cap is very light and posts a bit deeper than most of my other pens.

I'm also going to give a +1 for the Pelikan steel nibs. They have a very nice spring that makes them fun to write with.

The great thing is that of your 3 options, none will disappoint. The Pelikan has the classy look, the Edison has great fit and finish and the japanese pens are always a good choice when you need a finer nib.

Now the question is which one will you be getting first? :lol:

-Mark-

That is so true! I have started topics like this before and I always end up getting all the ones I suggested eventually :P

Edited by mikehodgman

On the subject of posting the M200, of the ~10 pens I own, it's the only one I actually find well balanced when posted since the cap is very light and posts a bit deeper than most of my other pens.

I'm also going to give a +1 for the Pelikan steel nibs. They have a very nice spring that makes them fun to write with.

The great thing is that of your 3 options, none will disappoint. The Pelikan has the classy look, the Edison has great fit and finish and the japanese pens are always a good choice when you need a finer nib.

Uhhhhhhhhhh :lol: I dunno lol

it's killing me trying to choose. I think pelikan will probably end up the 2nd or 3rd pen due to inconsistency and I'd rather have two reliable pens in a row than one that will be a shot in the dark for how the nib will be. If that wasn't the case, I'd probably get the pelikan first because of all the great things I hear about it's smoothness... And because it's nicer on the wallet haha.

I would not say that Pelikan nibs are the smoothest at all. They are definitely unique though. They are kind of springy and responsive. Very fun to write with. Small nibs though on the 200s.

this is where i got my custom 74 from, great seller checks tine alignment and nib before shipping. 95 USD for a custom 74 is amazing... this is probably the one you would prefer out of all the colours also. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pilot-NAMIKI-Custom74-F-Fine-nib-14Kt-Black-Fountain-Pen-/131080081161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e84fb4f09&_uhb=1

also the large converter that fits in the custom 74, con-70 holds just as much ink as the pelikan 200.

the nibs are consistently quite fine, an f nib is smaller then a pelikan xf. i have never had a bad experience with a pilot nib out of the box.

have a look at gouletpens.com nib nook tool, however they did not have ef in custom 74 to show u

http://s10.postimg.org/3zplx6eo9/Screen_Shot_2014_01_09_at_1_46_13_pm.png

Edited by Sham69

I own all the pens you are discussing. Of the 13 Edisons I own, 4 are Beaumonts because of the feel in the hand and the extraordinary quality of the Jowo steel nibs. Mine are all 1.1 mm stubs, but I have other nibs I interchange with, including Jowo Fines. If this pen is going to be a work horse you definitely should go with the Edison. Not only are they beautiful, but they hold up forever. If you are carrying it around to classes and keeping it on you then you don't want to risk losing a gold nibbed pen. Brian talked me into trying the steel Jowo nibs at a time when I was being rather prissy about owning only gold nibs. I haven't bought a gold nibbed pen since. These Jowos are so smooth and reactive to your particular hand that they work for me as well as most gold nibs. Plus it keeps the price reasonable.

Good luck with whichever pen you choose, but remember that Brian will stand behind every pen he makes and work with you until you are completely satisfied.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.