Why Rhodia?

Lady P

Rhodia seems to be very popular with fountain pen users, but my experience with it has been less than stellar. It makes even my Pelikans skip a bit, and my cheap Chinese pens don't get along with that paper at all. So why is Rhodia so popular with the fountain pen crowd? Are people using pens that don't skip on it (if so, which pens?), or is it that people like smooth paper so much that they are willing to overlook the fact that it induces skipping?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady P

• brewsky

• Sham69

• WilsonCQB1911

And I just realized I posted in a wrong forum: I should have posted in "Paper and Pen Paraphernalia" rather than "Paper and Pen Paraphernalia Reviews and Articles." :blush: If possible, can the mods please move this thread?

Because of it's comparative smoothness and lack of absorption it is a fairly featherproof ink. Also, none of my pens have skipped on Rhodia, perhaps your nibs need a little tweaking? I could see Rhodia being fussy with very dry nibs.

Edited by Tangster

It's possible that some of my nibs could use a bit of tweaking. It's just that those of my pens that pretty much never skip on rougher paper will skip a little bit on Rhodia, and those of my pens that don't skip much (but do skip a bit) on rougher paper skip like crazy on Rhodia.

I see the point about feathering though. I do indeed see very little feathering on Rhodia.

I think that your pens may be suffering from baby bottoms, since the paper doesn't have the tooth to reach the ink in your nib kerf. Of the papers out there ,Rhodia is very consistent and works with more paper/pen/ink combinations. I have not had any issues with Rhodia with any of my pens. Depending on your nibs, that may be the cause.

It's possible that some of my nibs could use a bit of tweaking. It's just that those of my pens that pretty much never skip on rougher paper will skip a little bit on Rhodia, and those of my pens that don't skip much (but do skip a bit) on rougher paper skip like crazy on Rhodia.
I see the point about feathering though. I do indeed see very little feathering on Rhodia.

Rhodia is reasonably affordable and very consistent with very little feathering, so people have sort of standardized around it. I also don't like it, because the coating on it can cause issues (like skipping) with some pens, especially if it absorbs hand oils (like from a hand resting on the page as you write), and it can take a very long time to dry. I prefer Paperblanks and HP 32 lb for my nice papers.

I think that your pens may be suffering from baby bottoms, since the paper doesn't have the tooth to reach the ink in your nib kerf. Of the papers out there ,Rhodia is very consistent and works with more paper/pen/ink combinations. I have not had any issues with Rhodia with any of my pens. Depending on your nibs, that may be the cause.

Could be the case with some of my pens. My newest Pelikan (an M400) works fine on copier paper, but skips quite a lot on Rhodia. (Actually, it'll write on Rhodia as well, but it forces me to apply a bit of pressure, which I find annoying because one of my favorite things about writing with fountain pens is that they allow me to write while applying very little pressure.) I doubt that my cheap Chinese pens have baby bottoms, though. Or at least my understanding was that it's the high end pens that tend to suffer from baby bottoms (due to the fact that manufacturers polish them so much in order to produce super-smooth nibs).
I need to buy a loupe! :gaah:

Rhodia is reasonably affordable and very consistent with very little feathering, so people have sort of standardized around it. I also don't like it, because the coating on it can cause issues (like skipping) with some pens, especially if it absorbs hand oils (like from a hand resting on the page as you write), and it can take a very long time to dry. I prefer Paperblanks and HP 32 lb for my nice papers.

Yeah, that's consistent with what I've seen.
I also like Paperblanks! My latest journal is by Paperblanks. I was a bit reluctant to get it because of the price, but I like the paper quality, so I think I might just stick with the brand. (Now if I can just stop myself from buying more pens...)

I have never had one issue with quality or durability in their notebooks. All of my pens perform exactly how I want them to on paper. I am a huge rhodia fanboy, and I own over 10 notebooks. I have not experienced any issues with oens skipping or performance (other then misalligned tines, which has nothing to do with the paper. .)

Could be the case with some of my pens. My newest Pelikan (an M400) works fine on copier paper, but skips quite a lot on Rhodia. (Actually, it'll write on Rhodia as well, but it forces me to apply a bit of pressure, which I find annoying because one of my favorite things about writing with fountain pens is that they allow me to write while applying very little pressure.) I doubt that my cheap Chinese pens have baby bottoms, though. Or at least my understanding was that it's the high end pens that tend to suffer from baby bottoms (due to the fact that manufacturers polish them so much in order to produce super-smooth nibs).

I need to buy a loupe! :gaah:

Look on amazon, I got my loupe very cheap and it works wonder for pen maintenance.

Edited by brewsky

So far, Rhodia works well with all of my favorite pens: Esterbrook, Lamy Safari and various Watermans. I like Rhodia mainly because the inks I use don't bleed or feather on it. Also, very smooth.

Regards,

Ray

I don't think their paper is that great, I imagine people who feel similarly wouldn't really mention that though unless there is a thread about it. But of course my main gripe is that the paper is really too yellow, and it does seem to work for many folks, so as with all things, another one of those personal preferences. Consistency is something to be appreciated though I feel, especially in this day and age.

Look on amazon, I got my loupe very cheap and it works wonder for pen maintenance.

I just ordered a loupe. Two in fact: a x10 and x30 one. I wasn't really sure what I needed, and they were under 4EUR each (including shipping), so I figured why not.

it really is my favourite paper.. i use to like clairefontaine but with my nibs made so perfectly smooth the clairfontaine is also very smooth and hard to control haha.

Rhodia is the best i have gone through over 50 large notebooks over the years i would say.

Realistically it is paper that performs way better than others I have access to in terms of price. If other paper comes across my wallet that is of equal or better performance and cost less, I would use that instead.

Rhodia Webby's makes my even my wettest pens skip. Also, the paper is too yellow for my taste.

Other than that nice notebooks though. The 'perfect' notebook I have yet to discover.

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

i just like the regular 80 gram.. no need for 90gram at all or you doing something wrong. the 80 gram is white.

I don't like it for the same reasons others have already stated:

- color

- coating

- dry time

- sound my pens make on it

all of it I don't like. I rather live with some feathering (separates the fountain pens from the ballpoints :) )

Greetings,

Michael