Overwhelmed By Search Results—Is A Quick Answer Possible

iRabb

I tried to find my answer by doing a search, but the title of the thread tells why that failed me.

I've been partial to Noodlers—why? The first bottled ink I tried was Noodlers Heart of Midnight, and I have never needed anything else. But I am expanding my palette.

I want an ink that does not have bleed through problems with copy paper (my employer prints letterhead one at a time from the computer), and dries a brilliant royal blue. Is there such an ink?

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iRabb

• Brian C

• Artslut

• ClaytonLittle

I don't use those papers so I can't answer the ink question but I've learned a good trick for searching. These in-site searches just line up a bunch of general sources and then you have to plow through each one, but a better result comes up by searching on Google with the key words and fountain pen network. That's how I have taken to searching for more precise responses.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

The only Royal Blue that I have used is Pelikan Royal Blue. It bleeds some..

How about viewing this ink chart. Maybe you will find what you like.

Copy paper varies quite a bit. Do you have any say in the brand and type used in your office ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I don't use those papers so I can't answer the ink question but I've learned a good trick for searching. These in-site searches just line up a bunch of general sources and then you have to plow through each one, but a better result comes up by searching on Google with the key words and fountain pen network. That's how I have taken to searching for more precise responses.

This a great idea for future searches. Thank you!

I have found bad blue heron to be pretty good. Super permanent too.

Thank you! I will have a look at it.

The only Royal Blue that I have used is Pelikan Royal Blue. It bleeds some..How about viewing this ink chart. Maybe you will find what you like.

Thanks!

Copy paper varies quite a bit. Do you have any say in the brand and type used in your office ?

Yes, to the extent that I could ask for a certain paper for anything carrying my signature. Do you have a specific suggestion, or simply ask for a 24 lb. paper in place of the current 20 lb. stuff?

Thank you! I will definitely look at this as well!

I am very grateful to all who responded!

The only Royal Blue that I have used is Pelikan Royal Blue. It bleeds some..

How about viewing this ink chart. Maybe you will find what you like.

Sasha, did you intend to attach an ink chart to your post, or perhaps a link to one?

Know the feeling. Except I have to deal with lowest bidder type paper. I typically just use something in a fine or medium nibbed pen mostly for those kinds of things. Diamine Sherwood Green works well as does Diamine Blue Black.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Depends on the paper. I have had used blocks of copy paper that don't bleed of feather, and I have gone through reams of copy paper that does. Until you can say with certainty what brand and make the paper it is, any search you do would be moot. It also depends on how much your pen lays down, and how fast/slow you write, as well as the ink itself. Best would be to try a variety of inks, and find one that works for your combination personally. There are so many combinations out there, it's hard to say what works with what, but then again, I would give you serious money to name someone on here who only has one pen and one ink.

Even budget brands of paper will source their product from different manufacturers depending on the lowest price of the day. You never know what flavor you might get.

Montblanc & Waterman are my go to blues if I'm stuck in the world of cheap paper. If I'm feeling particularly solvent, Iroshizuku is pretty consistent with Kon Peki being a nice, bright blue.

From all the reviews I've read Mont Blanc Royal Blue is supposed to be very well behaved. It received good reviews on cheap paper for a lack of bleed through and feathering.

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium is also an option .. though I don't think it looks as much of a "royal blue" than the mb ink. The nice thing about the Noodler's is that it is permanent (well semi-bulletproof but in my time with it I would call it permanent).

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

I use MB Royal Blue ink but I'm not sure if it would work. I have a suggestion. Rather than looking for a ink, why not find a pen or nib that is a dry writer? I was thinking of maybe using a Fine nibbed pen. I personally like a wet writer but if you could find a pen that is drier you might be in luck.

Bad Blue Heron isn't a "royal blue." Neither is Liberty's Elysium. Bad Belted Kingfisher is closer to a royal blue.

If you want bold, well behaved blue that's close to "royal blue," there's Iroshizuku Asa-Gao.

If you want really, really bold blue that's close to "royal blue," there's Diamine Sargasso Sea. But, be warned it's not that well behaved.

I have Montblanc Royal Blue and really not a big fan of it.

R&K's King's Blue might fit the bill, but I've never tried it.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Hi,

+1 for MB Royal Blue.

Also consider DeAtramentis Königsblau.

Royal Blue isn't all that "brilliant", so you might consider inks trending towards Sapphire-Cobalt, such as Diamine Sapphire.

The paper will make a considerable difference as to the appearance and performance of the ink. If the paper is designated for [colour] inkjet printers, then achieving acceptable performance will narrow your choices significantly.

(My wee Ink Reviews often include samples on the inkjet-compatible letterhead 'Royal' paper, which are intended to indicate how inks fare on rather FP-hostile paper.)

Also, when working with highly absorbent papers, the value (light-dark) of the ink drops to the extent that the chroma (brilliance/snap) is compromised - the colour becomes submerged. As a no-low cost work-around, dilution with [distilled] water may be considered. Using a very light hand with a slightly narrow dry nib can offset line-width gain and bleed- show-through often encountered on highly absorbent papers.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

i use montblanc and pelikan royal blues on our workplace stock, but the paper quality is variable. perhaps you should obtain several ink samples and take them for a test drive to see which suits your paper best in actual use. could be fun, and i'd enjoy seeing your results posted in the comparisons area.

I use Waterman Florida/Serenity Blue in my work diaries, which has pretty terrible paper. Of all the inks I have tried, in a fine-nibbed pen, that is the best, along with Noodler's Black, for poor quality paper.

I sometimes wish Nathan Tardiff would make a bulletproof version of his standard Blue ink, perhaps a bit less saturated, that had the same behaviour as his standard bulletproof Black.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching