Letter Size Writing Pad --- Fountain Pen Friendly?

JazzRon

I like to use a writing pad while I work at my computer, letter size, legal style, etc... but most of what I find at Staples and such places are not at all FP friendly. At the nicer stationery and paper stores,

there is "letter-writing" stuff, but not good pads for daily use.

Any suggestions? Should I try AMPAD, or Levenger? Thanks very much.

Thank you.

Ron

Massachusetts

Home of World Champion Boston Red Sox

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JazzRon

• Vendome

• opus7600

• Gloucesterman

Not sure if they're sold in America, but see if you can find any of the following brands, Magson, Silvine, Lion brand and Pukka Pads.

All are FP friendly, and come in a variety of sizes, Duke, A5 and Quarto.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

I recommend Rhodia. Around Boston you can find it at Bromfield, Levenger, Blick, Paradise, Bob Slate, probably others. Online, too many to mention.

Artists and Craftsman (and arts and craft supply place) in Route 1 in Saugus and Harvard Square, Cambridge (?) has Rhodia at 20% off list as their REGULAR price. They also have other brands as well, usually at a discount too.

BTW - no affiliation

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Black 'N Red notebooks from Office Depot are very well reviewed, and might be better than Rhodia for everyday writing. Rhodia and Clairefontaine paper is notorious for very long dry times, so there's a risk of smearing or getting ink on yourself when doing things like taking quick notes in a meeting.

Thank you Vendome, Opus for excellent suggestions. What a great resource this forum is.

Happy New Year!

Ron

Doh! I forgot to mention, get some blotting paper or blotting strips as well. That'll reduce drying time and stop smudges.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

I'm using a couple of A5 Tomoe River pads (if you've not come across the paper before, do a search on it here - it's so good that I will go to very great lengths to keep stocked with it) at work at the moment. It is wonderful stuff: bible-paper thin, totally bleed/feather proof, and it has a wonderful tactility; it's smooth as silk to write on, and makes the very most out of FP nibs. It does cost a bit more than other papers, but I think it's absolutely worth every penny. Nothing plays as well with a flexible nib.

My current pads are from http://www.nanamipaper.com/categories/seven-seas-tomoe-river-paper.html - I also have a couple of bound books of Tomoe River paper from www.paperforfountainpens.com in the US - you can get pads and loose sheets there too. (Paper for Fountain Pens is probably a better option for you, being in America; sadly it's almost prohibitively expensive, shipping-wise, for those of us outside the US.)

Environotes Sugar Cane paper is Fountain pen friendly, and reasonably priced.

Environotes Sugar Cane paper is Fountain pen friendly, and reasonably priced.

+1

I also generally find the Ampad Gold Fibre products are fairly decent.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I adore Levenger's pads, but I understand not everyone does. I use a number of different inks, and a variety of nibs; I don't recall ever having a problem with bleed-through, and I usually can write on both sides without a concern. I sometimes use it for letter writing. Also quite expensive, but I try to buy a five-pack when they have a sale. Then I hide them from my husband, i likes to doodle aimlessly when he is bored or thinking - with a BP! He can do THAT on cheap paper. LOL

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I use Clairefontaine Triomphe lined pads (I buy them online from goulets) they are A4 size and the paper is beautiful. They also come in unlined versions and A5 versions.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a550/nujabes-/rsz_1rsz_1rsz_1rsz_20140123_132642_zpsc350ec57.jpg

Signature by Mineralogy. Get yours here

I've just started my first Black and Red journal and really like the paper. NO bleed through at all and virtually no ghosting even with pretty wet dark inks. The notepad paper is probably the same.

Be sure to let us know what pad (s) you try and how you like it (them).

I've recently found Arc from Staples to be very good for fountain pen, and pretty cheap, as is Black and Red (or Red and Black?).

Arc doesn't show any feathering or bleed through, and very little show through with any of my inks or nibs.

Note that I don't have anything wider than a medium anything, and mostly fine or extra fine. There are a couple of pretty wet medium flex pens in the set, and they're just fine on the paper.

• 1 month later...

I'm using a couple of A5 Tomoe River pads (if you've not come across the paper before, do a search on it here - it's so good that I will go to very great lengths to keep stocked with it) at work at the moment. It is wonderful stuff: bible-paper thin, totally bleed/feather proof, and it has a wonderful tactility; it's smooth as silk to write on, and makes the very most out of FP nibs. It does cost a bit more than other papers, but I think it's absolutely worth every penny. Nothing plays as well with a flexible nib.

My current pads are from http://www.nanamipaper.com/categories/seven-seas-tomoe-river-paper.html - I also have a couple of bound books of Tomoe River paper from www.paperforfountainpens.com in the US - you can get pads and loose sheets there too. (Paper for Fountain Pens is probably a better option for you, being in America; sadly it's almost prohibitively expensive, shipping-wise, for those of us outside the US.)

Thank you for the link! With all the talk i have seen about the Tomoe River paper i have wanted to try it, and they have it in stock :) so i got two!

Rhodia without a doubt.

The page below shows all the sizes available for Rhodia notepads, they are the same as the traditional orange but in a more subtle black.

http://rhodiapads.com/collections_black.shtml

With any notepad or notebook, it is always advisable to use blotting paper. It not only cuts drying time and prevent smearing, a necessity when writing fast notes, it also protects the writing surface from skin oil.

It is a must have for fountain pen users.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?