Tightening A Converter To A Nipple

willard

Hello,

I have a beautiful Aurora International 98. I used to refill it using an used Aurora cartridge. It works, but I'm not sure I would offer a gift with a syringe, or even sell it. By some serendipity, my local fountain pen shop had an Aurora converter that is supposed to work for this model.

I tried it, and it seemed to work. But as soon as I tried to fill the pen up, it became obvious that the converter was a bit looser than with the cartridge. In fact, the section fell into the ink pot.

On the second try, I could make it suck ink. It worked for a while, but it became obvious that the ink was leaking from where the converter made contact with the nipple. So I flushed the pen and the converter, disassembling the converter to make sure it was OK.

So here is my question: would it be possible to put a bit of silicon grease to "seal" the converter around the nipple?

I know that 13$ is not a big deal, but my first motivation to dive into the universe of fountain pens was to stop wasting plastic and start taking care of my stuff. I am willing to try about any solution, as long as someone, somewhere, is willing to help me out by sharing his or her experience. Sorry if my question has already been answered before, but I did try to scratch my own itch, but could not find anything after an hour of search and reading previous thread.

Thanks,

w

Edited by willard

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willard

• ac12

• framebaer

• wastelanded

Things like that happen.

I have 2 Sheaffer converters that also leak at the front, they do not seal well to the nipple.

Silicon grease will not work in that situation.

You do not want the grease to get into the nipple, and that is what will happen if the gasket at the front of the converter had silicone grease in it. The converter has to have a tight seal against the nipple. Also depending on the pen, if you do not have a tight seal, the converter could fall off the nipple when you put the pen in your pocket.

I would take the converter back and order a new one.

Alternatively, I would see about ordering an ink syringe to refill the cartridges you have.

I do not know what you mean by

"I'm not sure I would offer a gift with a syringe, or even sell it."

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

On this link: http://www.isellpens.com/Aurora_Ink_Converter_p/aur-158-ic.htm

The link implies just one type of converter for Aurora pens. Note that it also says that this converter is compatible with most Parker pens, so possibly a Parker twist converter would work. The Parker slide converter is longer than their twist converter. The Lamy Z26 converter, black handle, is supposed to be compatible with Parker (Sonnet), so maybe by extension it would work for an Aurora pen.

Good luck.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you for your warning, ac12. My plan sounded fishy. Glad I seeked for a second opinion!

What I meant by

> I'm not sure I would offer a gift with a syringe, or even sell it.

was that I was using a real syringe to fill it up. It works, but if I can't find a decent converter for my pen, I would not offer it as a gift to "convert" one of my friends to fountain pens. This was my intention when I bought the converter, btw. Instead, I gave my friend a Lamy Studio, which seemed like a better idea for a first pen, even if the pen showed some wear.

If I can't offer it as a gift to a friend, I considered selling it. But then I would have much chance to sell it at a decent price if I can't find a compatible converter. Since I have a spare Lamy Z26, I will try it and see how it goes. This would be great, since I have yet to have a bad experience with their converters, which are less expensive and easier to get.

I had no idea I could try to fit a non-Aurora converter on my Aurora, pajaro. I should have have known, as I have a Visconti converter on my Monblanc Slimline that works quite OK.

Incidentally, there's a friend who received a Parker pen as a gift. He has no converter, and had no idea that one could use something else then cartridges until I told him at our New Year's Eve party. So I could borrow his pen to see if the Aurora converter works on it.

If that does not work, I'll try to return it to the pen shop, but that would be a pity, as the owner seemed happy to let go of this antiquity. In fact, he did not even know he had it - his employee found it immediately when I called, oblivious to its rarity. Even if all fails, I know I can try Parker converters.

I'll report later.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by willard

A quick update: the Lamy Z26 is an even worse fit.

The nipple is way too little for that converter, I'm afraid.

At least from my pen's point of view.

I had a leaky converter to nipple fit on a MontBlanc 144 I got off eBay in a questionable state of upkeep...

I ended up using Teflon tape intended for threaded plumbing parts with the tape on the threads of the converter to get it seated nice and tight.

It has remained leak free for a few years now, but I do not remove the converter and I am very gentle in the flush / refill process to keep it unmoved.

I am certain that plumbers Teflon tape is not an approved method of repair, but it worked for my leaky converter. Made sure to wrap in the direction of the threads so when tightening down the converter I also tightened the tape wrap.

I was also supremely careful to ensure no tape extended into any areas where ink might contact it.

I know for a fact that Teflon tape is frowned upon (with good reason), but in this case... It was able to stabilize a converter in place, not seal a leak. The converter itself seals the leak.

Edited by OiRogers

The Aurora I have has no threads, OiRogers. So I would need to put the Teflon on the nipple itself. I do get the idea that what matters is the sealing made by the converter itself. But it's quite clear that the Teflon would risk being in contact with the ink.

In any case, I tested with the pen dry and the Teflon seems to tighten the converter well enough. So thanks for that suggestion: I had not thought of it.

For now I see two possible issues beyond the fact that the Teflon may be in contact with the ink.

The first I read on another pen forum (would it be OK to link to it?), in a thread about "Teflon Tape to Seal Thread". It was argued that the hood threads of a Parker 51 was not meant to endure Teflon love. Which means that one should bear in mind that the Teflon can for instance "cause too much pressure and cause items to crack".

The second one is more practical: how do you flush your pen while keeping the converter in place? I flush my pens with what I used to clean the noses of my babies. If flushing a pen becomes impractical, then I might as well be tempted to keep filling up a cartridge and a syringe.

Edited by willard

I do not know how you would wrap the nipple. Most pens have the nipple inside the section so you have to go down into the section to wrap it. The only exposed nipple that I know of is on the Sheaffer pens.

I am pretty sure that teflon can be in contact with ink. Teflon is pretty inert stuff.

I think the issue with putting it in pen threads is, compression then expansion. When you squeeze it in the threads it compresses, but then it wants to expand back out to its uncompressed form, which puts an expanding pressure on the pen hood or barrel. It is this expanding pressure that is the problem, as it could crack the hood or barrel. What you want in those threads is a sealant that does not expand. In my fathers days, they did not have teflon tape to seal pipes, so they used paint. BTW it was oil base paint, probably with lead in it. cringe Well they did not know about lead poisoning back then.

When I flush my converter pens, I use a bulb syringe. So the converter has to come off to do that.

www.SFPenShow.com

It is my understanding that the issue with Teflon tape is that the extra thickness might be enough to crack a barrel if used on section threads and to crack a hood on a Parker 51. If you were able to use it in this case, what would be the issue beyond your practice of removing the converter to flush the pen with a bulb syringe? Presumably none, and so you might consider modifying your flushing practice in this case to use the converter for flushing, otherwise you will be reinstalling teflon tape with each flush.

Since the converters will not fit, I would contact the seller, or the local pen shop, or the Aurora company for help, since these authorities might have dealt with the same issue previously. It is preferable to seek a standard solution using standard parts, but if that doesn't result in a satisfactory solution, you might have to improvise with teflon tape or shellac as a temporary and removable bonding agent, which can be disolved in alcohol or the bond broken with moderate heat. These improvisations will predictably be looked askance at by august authorities of pendom.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

A year ago I had a parker piston converter that I placed it accidentally in a Waterman pen. As a matter of fact converter was a little bit loose after that. In order to correct it I slight heated up the edge of the converter and then I pressed it with a pair of pliers all around until the hole was a little bit smaller. Nowadays I can still use the converter! WARNING If you overheat and melt the converter it may become unusable.

Indivisibiliter ac Inseparabiliter

Keep in mind that Parker and Aurora feed nipples are the same size. That means that most Aurora pens can use most Parker converters. That said, I would try one of the older Parker piston-style converters in your Aurora. It might well fit and work much better than a newer design slide-type converter. Sometimes the barrel dimensions do not allow one or another style of converter to fit, but usually there is one that will fit and work. Tape is not really a sustainable solution.

Thank you for your responses, ac12, pajaro, siroast and SteveE!

I only have time for a question about older Parker piston-style converters.

In this image:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/parkvert-1024x339.jpg

(Source: http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=316; Creative Commons 3.0)

are you referring to the #1, SteveE?

I will return to the other comments and suggestions later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the ideas!

w

Edited by willard

/Snip... Tape is not really a sustainable solution.

I would heartily agree with that... It worked in one pen out of my collection. I have no plans of making it a common repair tool in my collection.

Once I got the converter installed without leaks on my MB144, I have not removed the converter since... That converter has been in place on that pen for several years now.

I use the converter itself to flush the section/nib and I have to be very careful to not move the converter at all.

This can certainly be a limiting factor which I can easily see being unwanted.

I would caution against using the tape in pens where cracking can be an issue ('51s as mentioned) and I would also caution against it's use in sections you cannot completely disassemble yourself to clean if tiny bits were to break loose it could cause massive flow issues in the feed. It was a method of last resort before I put the pen aside in a fit of pique.

In the long run I will probably contact MB and see about sending the pen in to them to have it gone over as other minor issues are persistent.

In your case OP, I'd suggest contacting Aurora for suggestions. Some of the other suggestions in this thread are interesting and would certainly be steps I'd try first. Converters of different make / design are pretty cheap.

Good luck.

I would caution against using anything (silicone grease or Teflon tape,etc......) between the nipple & the mouth of your converter.

Grease may clog up your feed channel on your nipple, which then may be extremely difficult to remove.

I'd be concerned with any kind of contamination of your nib-set or of the ink supply.

Converters fit either by friction or threads.. Continual removing of a press-on converter may loosen that connection. That's the time to get a new converter. A press-on fit has to be very tight.

I'm not familiar with Aurora converters per se, but in general most converters are inexpensive items (below 20.00 USD). They are intended to be replaced by the user.

You may need to order a new one from Aurora, if a Schmidt international converter (probably a K5) does not give you a tight fit.

I keep a few back-up converters to fit my Sailors, Edison Pearl & my wife's Lamys. The Sailor converters are designed to be disassembled , the Schmidt & Lamy look more like sealed units.

I've had to replace only one converter, after three years of hard use, a Sailor.

ed: for detail

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Willard - The converter I am using in an Aurora Style is like #6. In that pen, it fits perfectly.

If you want to just call somebody and ask what should fit your pen, I would try Sam at Pendemonium. She seems to always know what should fit.

The usual disclaimers - no affiliation to Pendemonium, just a long-term very happy customer.

Hello,

Just have a minute for a quick update.

My friend came by with his Parker. The Aurora converter is a perfect fit! It sucked water (he still has cartridges, not sure it was Parker Quink) as soon as I started to twist. The converter worked so well there was barely a line of air at the top. The result was quite impressive: I'm not even sure I can do the same with my other converters! Perhaps the fact that I disassembled the converter, cleaned it up and checked all the part improved the result.

The main difference, I believe, was that the nipple of his model was covered by the section. The converter could not wiggle at all. Even if the nipple of his pen was as little as on my Aurora, it would not make much of a difference, as the converter was neatly tucked to the bottom of the section.

I'll try to upload a photo of my Aurora tomorrow to show how this tucked effect can't be achieved on the Aurora International.

Thank you for all the feedback!

Edited by willard

Let's see if including this photo works:

http://www.benoitstpierre.info/img/aurora-nipple.jpg

As you can see, the section does not cover the nipple, so it's possible to use tweezers to put Teflon around it.

Also note that the section's barrel "walls" cannot tighten the converter as it could in the case of my friend's generic Parker.

Hope the photo is not too big.

Edited by willard

eh not open enough.

Teflon tape is pulled to fit snug.

If the tape sticks out over the opening to the nipple, when you slide the converter on, it could rip off a piece of teflon and get it into the nipple...not good.

I think we are back to getting a properly fitting Aurora converter.

www.SFPenShow.com

I finally got a chance to go to my local pen store to try Parker converter #6, as shown in the picture above. All the converters I tried are still very loose. I now begin to think that the nipple of my Aurora is smaller than the usual ones.

The most simple solution, at least for now, seems to keep with the cartridge and syringe. At least now I know I could use a Parker one in case the one I use gets loose.

I'll try to wrap up what I learned from the thread a bit later in the week.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by willard