Cracks In Barrel Of Mb 146

smackyf

My father recently gave me his MB 146. Its marked W.Germany on the clip ring, has a gray ink window and was purchased 1988-1990. He put it away inked and it sat for about 10 years. The piston was stuck when I got it and there are 3 hairline cracks that start at the blind cap trim and go up the barrel. I attached a photo with (2) of the cracks highlighted. The piston freed up easily after a soak, was flushed repeatedly and reinked. There are no signs of leaking.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. I'll be closely watching it to see if the cracks spread, but I intend to use this pen. Is this something that should be sent to FPH, Penboard, etc to have them repair the cracks? Or, sent to MB for a replacement barrel (would they use a matching vintage barrel?).

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions. Have a Happy New Year.

post-97000-0-74819900-1388512501_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smackyf

• hari317

• CS388

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:W2FPN:

The cracks in the location marked do not effect the function. If the pen does not leak, continue to use and enjoy it. When it does start to leak, you can send it in to MB, they will replace the pen with new retaining your old nib and clip.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the quick reply hari317. Do you have any idea what MB would charge for that? Is it just the flat rate?

Yep that repair would come under their level one charge but the level one charge is different depending on what country you are in. In the uk its £80 in America its about $80. Check with your local service centre for their charges.

Paul

Congratulations, nice pen. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a repair - just yet.

You might get 10 years out of it. Or 20 years. Or, of course, 20 minutes.

As long as it's working, I'd enjoy it and use it. If the situation gets worse, then, yes, off to Montblanc for a service (and yes, it would be replaced with a new (modern) barrel. No harm in that, though)

Meanwhile, welcome to the 146 club.

Enjoy.

• 2 months later...

Update.

Opened my pen case today and saw a puddle of ink. Flushed it, hoping for the best, but have inky bubbles coming out of the cracks. It's done....

Before I send it off to MB , I was wondering if they will save more than just the nib and the clip. It was my father's and I'd like to keep what I can, the entire cap and the split ebonite feed would be nice. Would/ could they do that? I know it would be a bit of a franken-pen but it would mean more to me.

Sad news. Looks like the time has come.

Yeah, send it off. Ask to keep what can be kept. But a new barrel may a need new feed - and other non compatibles?

Doesn't really matter. It'll still be your father's pen. Lincoln's axe, and all that.

Good luck.

Update.

Opened my pen case today and saw a puddle of ink. Flushed it, hoping for the best, but have inky bubbles coming out of the cracks. It's done....

Before I send it off to MB , I was wondering if they will save more than just the nib and the clip. It was my father's and I'd like to keep what I can, the entire cap and the split ebonite feed would be nice. Would/ could they do that? I know it would be a bit of a franken-pen but it would mean more to me.

I think if you put a note specifically tell them what to keep, they should be able to keep them. That is what I am about to do with my grandfather's 149.

I think if you put a note specifically tell them what to keep, they should be able to keep them. That is what I am about to do with my grandfather's 149.

Hi, that is a myth. Pls read here further:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/242068-repairing-my-grandfathers-mb149/?p=2630149

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sad news. Looks like the time has come.

Yeah, send it off. Ask to keep what can be kept. But a new barrel may a need new feed - and other non compatibles?

Doesn't really matter. It'll still be your father's pen. Lincoln's axe, and all that.

Good luck.

Thanks CS388. Looking it as a paradox puts a different perspective on it.

as i see it you have two options:

1. The easier one is to go to the MB and get the parts replaced, including the cap and the barrel, in one flat rate. it is also the cheaper of the two options.

2. If you really want to save your father's pen as is, look for and get another similar pen, plagiarize its barrel to make your father;s pen whole again (and have the other pen with cracked barrel now) repaired by the MB. You can always sell the second pen for a part refund. More time consuming, more expensive option, and end of the day you have a similar pen, but not the same.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I would rather have a pen that I could use than a pen with a cracked barrel. Therefore, I would not hesitate to send it to Mb for it to be fixed.

I originally found that information on here and so I believed it. At least now I know they can only re use the nibs.

Personally I don't care which feeds I have so am happy to send my pens to Mb when they need fixing.

However, I am aware that some users prefer to keep older versions of barrels, pistons and feeds.

Edited by Chrissy

• 2 months later...

Update.

I like when the threads have an ending.

I sent the pen to MB for repair, it required a level 2 service. They replaced the entire body and reinstalled the existing nib. I spoke to them, and they were able to reuse the entire original cap and clip. So, for me, that ended up being the best balance of old and new.

Service was fast less than 2 weeks from the day I sent it out. Pen's working great!

Hmmm, Thank you for the update, but if they didn't replace the nib, cap or clip I would question why the need for a level 2 service. I have had similar services done as a level 1

The service pricing has always seemed a bit confusing, For instance - this link says that the basic service went up from £60 to £80.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/264545-montblanc-services-up-in-price/

My level 2 cost $85usd which is still less than the old £60 basic service. Not sure how Eurpoean services or pricing levels compare to the States.

My level 2 cost $85usd which is still less than the old £60 basic service. Not sure how Eurpoean services or pricing levels compare to the States.

Bargain! Pleased it's all worked out.

Thanks for the update - and congratulations on your new, old pen.

Enjoy.