• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• 85AKbN

• Rita_K

• Bemo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very glad to have the forum up and running, I definitely have taken note of the increased speed.

The silver lining of your downtime is that I ventured out to some smaller forums and continued to learn about this great hobby :)

Happy New Year and wish you all the best wishes!

Have to tell you FPN is loading very quick now!

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

That is not a dumb question, in my book there isn't a dumb question, just an answer may be a dumb answer :).

Essentially I have been making backups of the site for years now, 3 types:

1. zipped, tarballed, or whatever it is called.

2. as #1 doesn't always unzip properly, I also have a file backup, and this year, since I got a local NAS, I have been using rsync to synchronize my file backup and the files on site (before that I used an ftp program like FileZilla to do so, but that takes forever with a large site like ours (used to take a week copying it that way from the old server; rsync takes hours rather tha days, except maybe the first time)

3. database dumps of our database - those can be imported back into the database again, or into a new database

I addition I keep copies of configuration files and a bunch of other things.

Any stuff I have been doing I have learnt to do over the years, as I am far from even a Linux newbie in my own view, but fortunately I am so lucky to run into people like Salman to help out and explain, especially with the tricky stuff like setting up security.

Anyway, I have learnt what to do in case of an emergency to restore a site like FPN to the exact state of all I have backed up, and even to restore it to a different site and still make it look the same. That is a bit more work, but all the research has been done, and I also practice it, as our test site (we do have one), holds a copy of the entire FPN site, which I refresh every so often for testing possible new add-ons and other things.

The site being down is one thing, but it being down doesn't necessarily mean all stored on it has disappeared, unless the entire site was wiped out. FPN was down for a week, deliberately, in order to make it impossible for all but sysadmins to access the site while setting up security and configuring the new server, but all data and files were there all the time, on the old site and in the backups, and then on the new site too. Once the new site was up and running, we deleted everything from the old server, stopped it and terminated it, so now that has gone lost - but that was intentional.

If you do need some assistance, just contact me backchannel.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Clearly there is more to the work done behind the scenes than I have time to learn in multiple lifetimes. I know: we all have our gifts but I am particularly thankful for the gifts of wimg and the rest of the admins and worker bees and all their willingness to contribute them to the digital nuthouse on the prairie.

HATS OFF to you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

That is not a dumb question, in my book there isn't a dumb question, just an answer may be a dumb answer :).

Essentially I have been making backups of the site for years now, 3 types:

1. zipped, tarballed, or whatever it is called.

2. as #1 doesn't always unzip properly, I also have a file backup, and this year, since I got a local NAS, I have been using rsync to synchronize my file backup and the files on site (before that I used an ftp program like FileZilla to do so, but that takes forever with a large site like ours (used to take a week copying it that way from the old server; rsync takes hours rather tha days, except maybe the first time)

3. database dumps of our database - those can be imported back into the database again, or into a new database

I addition I keep copies of configuration files and a bunch of other things.

Any stuff I have been doing I have learnt to do over the years, as I am far from even a Linux newbie in my own view, but fortunately I am so lucky to run into people like Salman to help out and explain, especially with the tricky stuff like setting up security.

Anyway, I have learnt what to do in case of an emergency to restore a site like FPN to the exact state of all I have backed up, and even to restore it to a different site and still make it look the same. That is a bit more work, but all the research has been done, and I also practice it, as our test site (we do have one), holds a copy of the entire FPN site, which I refresh every so often for testing possible new add-ons and other things.

The site being down is one thing, but it being down doesn't necessarily mean all stored on it has disappeared, unless the entire site was wiped out. FPN was down for a week, deliberately, in order to make it impossible for all but sysadmins to access the site while setting up security and configuring the new server, but all data and files were there all the time, on the old site and in the backups, and then on the new site too. Once the new site was up and running, we deleted everything from the old server, stopped it and terminated it, so now that has gone lost - but that was intentional.

If you do need some assistance, just contact me backchannel.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Wow. That sounds like a lot of work and dedication. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...