Fpn Availability

wimg

Dearest members and visitors,

The last few days FPN has been very busy, and as a result the site has been (automatically) going off- and online, due to the way the hosting plans are set up. Although we have a dedicated server, we run a Virtual OS, and once the resources used are beyond a certain percentage over what we actually have, the server gets shut down and restarts approximately 10 to 15 minutes later.

We are currently in discussion with our providers to see what can be done about this, and will keep you posted.

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf the FPN Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• RMN

• Sasha Royale

• daoud62

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

For unclear reasons, the server uses much more memory currently than ever before. As a result, we have had to set simultaneous client processes, i.e., browse requests, to a lower number than before, just so that the server keeps ticking over. Once the server hits its memory limit, it essentially starts killing processes and goes into shutdown mode.

Hopefully the measures taken will slow this process down while we continue our investigation.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

It looks like the only thing that will remedy this problem, is to upgrade to a bigger server, as our current one holds the maximum of DRAM it can handle, and it is clearly caused by us running out of memory.

This means the server, and FPN, will likely go down for several days. First step is to upgrade the board software, but that is just a security patch. We'll see how things go thereafter.

We expect we need to make a move very fast, however, and any time to do this is a bad time whatever we do, so best to get it done and over with as quickly as possible.

We will try to keep you up to date regarding the status of the move. First, the upgrade. When we go offline in the next 10 to 30 minutes, you know it will be to do this :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I'm a happy squirrel because this forum is back!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Yes -- I've been sick since Christmas Eve, so hadn't really been able to go anyplace or do much of anything (and there's only so much online sudoku I can stand...).

Thanks for all your hard work in getting things migrated and up and running.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Alas no FPN over the Christmas so I became bored a lot.

My wife must have wished FPN online as much as I did...... :P

Could not sleep tonight because of a bad cold and decided to once again try, and hey presto: FPN is back. I hope for keeps. Without a doubt we will run into some quirks that are running just different on a new server....

Fingers crossed!!!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Well, so much for a gradual withdrawal from FPN :lol: :lol:

Now let me see if I can re-acclimate myself to FPN's presence?

Welcome back and thanks for your own efforts. It could not have been easy on you - moderators and administrators - either.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Well, I think it was mostly our Admin, Wimg who was kept busy over the last week doing the actual upgrade work, and then when running the mods doing extensive testing.

Wimg: thanks a bunch. :notworthy1: At least you could not get away far, so you had plenty of time in between transfer-waits to spend with your wife and daughter...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Without my "fix" from FPN members, I resorted to buying. Spent too much. Thank goodness you are back.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am very glad that you all are back. I was going through serious withdrawal. Thanks to the moderators and administrators for all of their efforts to get things up and going over the holiday season. Happy New Year to you all!

Thank you to all the FPN staff and hosts who took the time (during the roughly week of Christmas and other holidays, of all things!) to get things settled out. I'm definitely glad to see things back online!

I am very glad that you all are back. I was going through serious withdrawal. Thanks to the moderators and administrators for all of their efforts to get things up and going over the holiday season. Happy New Year to you all!

Sums it up for me too. Plus, I have needed counselling to cope with the separation so can someone tell me where I send the accounts to FPN folk for payment?

PS: The site is flying and loading significantly faster. Massive difference.

Edited by inkypete
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Blimey I missed FPN... I am so glad we are back. Thank you all involved who have been working on making the site better for us all. I'm really looking forward to whiling away the hours on the new improved server. I'm grateful it's back before I get back to work, I mean what on earth would I do all day????

Happy New year everybody!

What the ?? How the ?? Where the ?? arrrgh !!! anyway pleased we are allback together :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

To all:

Oh my goodness! Is this how folks felt in April when things went down? I had just come into the family & FPs at that time. I didn't know what the heck was going on. I am so happy we are all back. I want to thank all admins & mods for ALL their hard, UNPAID and endless work that they did. Thank you all so much!

aggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!