Nakaya Or Howto Waste Time & Money

franzrogar

I find this thread quite amusing and the OP doesnt truly understand the brand of product they purchased from.

From what I understand Nakaya are a handful of retired Platinum Pen employees making hand made fountain pens in limited numbers.

Japanese business rarely deal with foreign customers, let alone individuals. There is a cultural reluctance to to talk to people in languages that is not Japanese, English is a tough order let alone Spanish or any other language. It's not blatant racism, it's just Japanese culture; if you cant work around it then the accidental abruptness will frustrated you to no end. It's just language and culture differences. Getting old Japanese people to respond to your emails in a foreign language is challenging, at least they responded; which is much more than what you would get if you lived here.

The timing, well they're a hand made item to order.. I'm sure some of the resellers keep stock, so you can pick up something.

I just think your expectation were wrong to begin with.

I've never had an issue dealing with Japanese businesses. There are ways if both sides wish to communicate (Even a free translator like Google's does the job). The OP's English isn't incomprehensible by any standard, so the communication between him and the retailer wouldn't be an issue.

Next, the communication between the retailer and the Nakaya guys. Its highly improbable a retailer isn't able to communicate with the distributor or the company whose brands he/she handles.

If the company doesn't wish to communicate with outsiders, perhaps they shouldn't be selling internationally?

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• franzrogar

• ethernautrix

• raging.dragon

• Namo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@shumanfu, I find quite amusing you reply to this thread without reading what's in there, thus truly don't understanding what this is all about.

To avoid other people telling me I repeat myself ad nauseam, apart from the answer by proton007, I will add mine:

• The whole thread is *not* about "timing" (as you write) but "no PR, no QC, etc.".
  • Also, I don't want other pens US retailer might have in stock (or are you telling me where should I spend my money?). I wanted the one I picked. Full stop.

I just think you didn't read neither the first message nor the rest of them. So, I just think your reply was wrong to begin with.

Edited by franzrogar
Thanks for reading.

Hello from a real keyboard [ipad: good reader, bad writer]

My comment about 3 languages did not refer to the language spoken, but the first language of the three sides of the triangle. Franz, your English is probably better than mine, but I'm not sure that Nakaya thinks/dreams in English, and I'm pretty sure that the cultural backgrounds are very different.

Not all of my post was directed at you, but at others in this topic and at cult pens no matter their brand. I much prefer to find my own favorites, but confess to joining the herd on more than one occasion. There are few sounds as sour as a crowd favorite's fall from grace.

Again, my condolences on your purchase. Please let us know when you find the pen you search for.

gary

@gary, I know you didn't mean a 3-side conversation to be on 3 different languages but people might think so, so before people started to divagate (which happened) I prefer to cut as safe precaution.

But I still think that, nib flexibility vs elastic aside, to understand that any company should *not* send defective products (having months to QC) doens't affect the cultural differences. Also, replying telling "yes, we got the pen" (when it was sent to Nakaya) at least, doesn't takes 6 months (got no answer but the "restored" frankenpen suddenly appearead in US retailer box). All that are basic issues. IMHO, if they can't manage to such low level in any conversation, they are f***** as a company.

I know they were not pointed against me, but I wanted to state clear what I wanted to explain in this thread.

The pen I was looking for was the engraved Nakaya, thus nevermore. I do hope to find any other crafter that makes engravings or I'll start to thinking on other ways (maybe ask Dexter if they can engrave the pen and then a penmaker apply a lacquer or other protection-alike).

EDIT: I've also tried *once* to write from a mobile and... bless the Keyboard Lord!

Edited by franzrogar
Thanks for reading.

The conclusion ladies and gentlemen is.......

If some people have different culture and language then, they are entitled to get the other people's money and send junk to others instead of a quality product.

It seems that different culture makes them blind!!!!!!

Am I ironic ? YES I AM but not to the Japanese people but to those that try to excuse an unethical sale from certain people of Nakaya, to the culture of Japanese people.

No, the Japanese have a culture which honors them. Nakaya company, is not so Japanese. If they were, they would treat with honesty.

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

i was about to say the same thing as sarahfar, i'd be interetsed in seeing images of the pen...i'm not sure what you mean by a frankenpen...i'd also like to see what the original chip was...thanks!!!!!

It is good that the OP started this thread. There should be more balance of opinions. I think many people may not want to tell their disappointment on the list due to fear of rebuttal or rejection.

I understand that the OP's problem was that he received a defective pen, and after sending it back and waiting another six months, he received a pen that sounds like one part from another pen replaced the defective part. Or maybe only the defective part was re-made, and that's why the markings didn't match.

After waiting a year and having to pay customs unfairly, I can understand why he is angry or frustrated and vows never to buy another Nakaya. If that had been my experience, I would feel raw about it, too. That he believes everyone will suffer the same bad service is a statement that others can interpret for themselves.

Another fpn member had her Nakaya in her hands for only a few minutes before the cap rolled off the table and a small piece broke off. I have dropped my Nakayas several times at least, and none of mine broke, and a few times, there wasn't even a mark. But hers broke. She sent it back to Nakaya to see what could be done, and I think the repair makes the pen look better. I don't doubt that there are those who disagree. But, you know... that's to be expected.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who had superlative custom service when ordering their Nakayas who, upon receiving their pens, must have wondered what the big deal was. And I say, Nakaya is not for everyone. Substitute any brand for "Nakaya."

I don't understand why people would be reluctant to say they tried and don't like (brand) pens. I mean... we're talking about pens. So what if there is rebuttal? It's pens.

As for venting about this kind of customer service... well, I think it's fair to vent.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

@sarahfar, "in the interest of fairness" is the expression lawyers use when they call someone to testify knowing that what they're going to say is not true. In the interest of fairness, I'd like to know if you beliveve in God.

@d1976, I think I wrote the explanation over six times in the thread.

But, as both of you seems to belong to "one image, thousand words"-generation, thou I don't have the pen anymore (a requisite of US retailer to return the investment, logically) you're lucky I haven't erased the e-mails between them and me, then keeping the LQ images I managed to make not being a photographer meself.

First, the chip in the lacquer.

post-48188-0-35209600-1388785710_thumb.jpg

And the frankenpen, where engravings from barrel to section didn't match. Oh, before you start creating fantasies of what might have happend, please, think when you engrave something, you engrave it *screwed*, not moving freeling on the barrel.

post-48188-0-83066600-1388785721_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Nihongo Tabemasen= I don't speak Japanese

I've exhausted my Japanese skills, so I'll stop.

I don't eat Japanese (language), either. (Covers mouth while giggling.)

Don't speak it despite reasons I should.

etherX in To Miasto

And I don't remember who but someone asked what this thread would have been if the pen would have come perfect. Then, as many others, it would be appraising the masterliness of the engravers.

So close.... It really is too bad, what happened.

etherX in To Miasto

Just saw the photo of the chip. Ouch. Certainly that should have been caught (maybe it happened after it left Nakaya, but it should have been caught).

etherX in To Miasto

Just saw the photo of the chip. Ouch. Certainly that should have been caught (maybe it happened after it left Nakaya, but it should have been caught).

Yes I agree....

One lat time - might we refrain from personal attacks? If the incivility and "you" statements continue, valuable information will be lost if the moderators have to prune or close the thread.

A MODERATOR

There was no intent of not being civil, I just thought pictures would be fair and help. That said, the point being made to me seems to be one side, albeit now that the picture is provided fair. In terms of civility the title itself might be a little on the edge. The you wasn't meant to offend him though.

My plea was targeted at the totality of the thread, not the last person posting. Specificity will occur back channel in the shape of an official warning, most likely from a primary mod of the sub forum. Unless matters devolve more swiftly.

A MODERATOR

One lat time - might we refrain from personal attacks? If the incivility and "you" statements continue, valuable information will be lost if the moderators have to prune or close the thread.

A MODERATOR

And about time too...

Too many pens; too little writing.

+1

Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Long Cigar, standard fine two tone nib/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Piccolo, soft medium stub in two tone/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Neo Standard, medium cursive italic/ Sailor Pro Gear fine/ Sailor Pro Gear medium cursive italic/ Pelikan M800 extra fine/ 1954 Monte Rosa medium left oblique/ Nakaya Naka-ai, medium left oblique, Heki-Tamenuri/Sailor Realo ll, medium left oblique/ Cross Townsend “Year Of The Rooster” medium/ Pilot Vanishing Point, fine.

I said similar pages ago, bigger things to fight over than pens and plenty of less moderated scummy sites that will accomodate those who wish to contribute.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......