Advice Needed - 4001 Blueblack Vs. Brilliant Black?

hbdk

I am looking for at black ink to use with my Lamy Safari. I have 2 nibs (fine and medium), both are very wet writers, I have tried with Diamine Jet Black and Onyx black. They both feather a lot with the Safari and Onyx Black takes up to a minute to dry. I am not trying to bash the two Diamine inks - they are wonderful in my Picasso pens, but they do not go well with my Safari.

I have inked the Safari with Pelikan 4001 Blueblack and that is just perfect; clear outline and almost instant drying. So my question is, if the 4001 Brilliant Black is as dry as the Blueblack?

Or if someone could recommend a good, black (DRY) alternative...

Edited by hbdk

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hbdk

• 85AKbN

• Abner C. Kemp

• The Good Captain

The only black I've ever used with any regularity was the 4001 Brilliant Black. Normally I don't use that colour at all but in one particular case I did - a CIAK notebook with terrible paper. The Black was 'brilliant' but I use the Blue-Black in Moleskines and wanted to have a difference at that time.

I'd say they are both about as dry as each other.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Some folks using very poor paper and a very narrow nib, claim it is gray.

All inks are influenced by the paper being used.

I don't use black, but have a bottle of Pelikan Black. I tried it and said, yep a real black black. It was for decades the second blackest ink behind Aurora. If and when (in that I don't use black), I'll buy Aurora just to have it. Aurora is more lubricated from my reading.

Now, there are many extremely black Noodler inks; that are blacker than both Pelikan and Aurora....but they have to be imported so you need to find some one on-line in Europe that has imported them.

I don't know how they are in feathering.

Pelikan Black is very affordable, Aurora is more expensive.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks. I mainly use Rhodia or 4CC 100gr. (for my homemade notebooks), so probably no trouble with the paper. The lubricating part is no problem with the Safari in my experience, but it might be fun to try Aurora.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

I have both Blue Black and Brilliant Black. I find them both to be pretty dry but good dependable inks with good color.

Off topic, but I have found Noodlers Black is a fairly fast drying black ink even on cheaper paper there was very little to no feathering and ~10 seconds for a complete dry.

Off topic, but I have found Noodlers Black is a fairly fast drying black ink even on cheaper paper there was very little to no feathering and ~10 seconds for a complete dry.

Interesting - which one would that be, the Zhivago?

Interesting - which one would that be, the Zhivago?

Usually when someone references Noodler's black, it's Noodler's black.

I've had great performance with Noodler's black through my Lamy 2000 and Al-Star (aluminum Safari), both fine nibs. Any paper available including the backs of envelopes, no-name legal pads, white, yellow, whatever 8.5X11 in the printer, rhodia dot pad, any and all kinds of paper and have yet to have any bleedthrough or feathering. The real potential for smearing is when I make a note in my pocket planner, which is solved by cutting a page sized cut out out of J.Herbin blotting paper and using it as a bookmark / ink blotter - no smears for quick notes and closing / pocketing (within seconds of writing).

Sorry for my confusion but being a newbie and with Noodler's hardly being available here in Europe...guess it means Bulletproof Black then (the one with a catfish on the bottle)?

Now using blotting paper as a bookmark - that is a creative thought indeed. Might even work with my Moleskin calendar (I usually use a pencil for that).

Edited by hbdk

Now using blotting paper as a bookmark - that is a creative thought indeed. Might even work with my Moleskin calendar (I usually use a pencil for that).

Off topic, but if you are interested in Moleskine friendly inks check out this blog:

http://inkyjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by carlos.q

Sorry for my confusion but being a newbie and with Noodler's hardly being available here in Europe...guess it means Bulletproof Black then (the one with a catfish on the bottle)?

Yes, the catfish. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yes, the catfish. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yep. Thats the one. Sorry I should have given you a link. Its a really nice performer imo. Gives off a nice solid dark black line but doesn't bleed or run through much (even in a medium nib). I always keep a pen inked up with it for note taking and it doubles as a great signature ink since its bullet proof.