Typical Visconti Quality For "my Pen System"?

mhphoto

I ordered a (badge? pin? magnet?), part of the "My Pen System" for my Homo Sapiens. I thought the tiger's eye one would look good with the bronze on the pen, but was a bit let down when it came today and I saw that the stone is not well sized and is offset in the magnetic holder quite badly.

The package it arrived in:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/440/w344.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/24/p0cn.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/811/e5e3.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/600/oaq6.jpg

It would look great if it was properly sized and set:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/7/jc71.jpg

I won't mention the supplier, as it's not their fault (though I may pursue a refund).

Just a little bit disappointed. I'm torn on whether I want a poorly made $13 token on a $500 pen… :(

Edited by mhphoto

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• mhphoto

• Ursus

• Chopper88

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks kinda sad, a little black dot there, the tiger eye looks a lot less glossy than I expected it to be, and horribly offset. Send it back..sorry to hear that..

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Definitely send it back, or at least let them know!

I think it looks hideous this way.. And if people keep on accepting such things, QC certainly won't improve.

I am a Visconti fan, so I am guilty of having a full set of all versions available (stones, letters, zodiacs) for the "My Pen System", and I have a little private fun just exchanging them from time to time, or according to the intented ink, or just to consider the different combination on some particular pen...

I have just reviewed the full collection, and no one stone is neither bad-sized nor outcentered.

Please ask a full refund.

Tell Visconti headquarters about it.

Edited by plumista

I wouldn't call this typical of Visconti - they usually have high level of fit and finish. The only issue which seem unusually common is poorly adjusted nibs, and we have no way of knowing if that's how the nibs left the factory or if they were subsequently swapped by a distributor or retailer.

I won't mention the supplier, as it's not their fault (though I may pursue a refund).

Just a little bit disappointed. I'm torn on whether I want a poorly made $13 token on a $500 pen… :(

I will not discuss about the general optics of that certain badge (it would be offensive, so I keep it for me... ;) )

But you made me start to look at that system (untill today all my HS are "as is" from the shipment) and I found out that the price is really that low. Based on this I woul recommend: Visconti, please take twice the price and do it in a way it fits to those perfect pens... 'cause this one is a shame for a Visconti pen...

Or does this come from a "secondary" market and is not "original Visconti"?

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked all my 7 "my-pen-system" gemstones and all except the Lapis Blue are perfectly sized to fit inside the raised ring.

The Lapis one is similarly offset to one side like Mhphoto's one but not to such an extent. It was not particularly noticeable until you look for this but once aware you can see a definite gap between the ring and the gem on one side. This was bought from one of the official Visconti shops in Florence.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

I am a Visconti fan, so I am guilty of having a full set of all versions available (stones, letters, zodiacs) for the "My Pen System", and I have a little private fun just exchanging them from time to time, or according to the intented ink, or just to consider the different combination on some particular pen...

I have just reviewed the full collection, and no one stone is neither bad-sized nor outcentered.

Please ask a full refund.

Tell Visconti headquarters about it.

Would you care to drop a link, it would be nice to have a read of your review.

Danish companies usually have a "Christmas lunch" where everyone drinks until it makes him sick. I don't think that they do that in Italy (that would be very un-Italian indeed), but this is how things would look if you tried doing your job after a Danish Christmas lunch.

Edited by Ursus

Visconti quality has always been on the bottom of the ladder and their quality control is horrible

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Visconti quality has always been on the bottom of the ladder and their quality control is horrible

All Italian pen makers should hire a guy from Pelikan to do the quality control. :)

All Italian pen makers should hire a guy from Pelikan to do the quality control. :)

Or maybe hire a guy from MB who will teach them what is German precision, engineering and reliability

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Or maybe hire a guy from MB who will teach them what is German precision, engineering and reliability

Not to turn the thread into a Pelikan vs. MB fight, but it has been my personal experience that MB also has some quality issues once in a while.

I have been at FPN for a while now and there is hardly a brand NOT mentioned with quality or service issues.

And I hear the same from my regular seller.

Not to mention my personal experience on several brands.

And there is also a difference if you produce 1 million or 5000 pens a year. In the former situation you can have highly computerised equipment, in the latter things are often done manually on a lathe. Which has another fault tolerance.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have been at FPN for a while now and there is hardly a brand NOT mentioned with quality or service issues.

And I hear the same from my regular seller.

Not to mention my personal experience on several brands.

And there is also a difference if you produce 1 million or 5000 pens a year. In the former situation you can have highly computerised equipment, in the latter things are often done manually on a lathe. Which has another fault tolerance.

D.ick

This has been my experience as well. I've read or heard about QC failures from most brands, and poor after sales service also seems to be common in the industry. In my experience Visconti have a generous warranty and excellent after sales service (though shipping from Canada to Italy and back can be slow). I don't know whether or not they have more QC and design failures than other brands; however, they're better about fixing their mistakes than most other large pen brands.

• 3 weeks later...