Letterpressed Notebooks (Fountain Pen Friendly?)

disquietingmuse

Hey all,

This is one of my first times posting so sorry if I'm doing anything annoying or wrong, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this notebook company called Write Notepads & Co.? They're based out of Baltimore, which seems really cool since I'm in the area. Kind of a total letterpress junkie so I'm already in love. It says on their website that they work with fountain pens, but I couldn't find any reviews except this one on Inkdepenence.

The coolest thing is they have some for LEFTIES...like, what?! I'm a righty but I would so get these as gifts if they're any good. I'm just not sure if this company is legit...was thinking about ordering some if others have had any experience. I've followed Inkdependence for a while but I'm just still on the fence about it, especially because I'd probably get the larger size and would want to order a few to balance out the cost of shipping. It doesn't say what kind of paper they use so I'm a little iffy on it. Seems like the lined kind have a teensy bit of ghosting with wetter inks, but I'm mostly interested in the plain paper.

post-109226-0-46257400-1387388345_thumb.png

So has anyone heard of this company or bought from them before? And if not, does anyone know of any other brands/suggestions for good-quality letterpressed notebooks suitable for fountain pens? I would really prefer if they were made in the US. I like spiral-bound, but I'm open to perfect-bound too.

Again sorry if being a total noob! Thanks in advance!

–Tori

:sm_cat:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• disquietingmuse

• kazoolaw

• jimhughes

• doggonecarl

They look interesting. Seems legit, but I couldn't get their online sales page to display.

If you are in the area, you could try one of their retailers. They list Trohv, in Baltimore, as one.

If you get one, post a review!

I have the notebooks in Pocket size, I've not had a chance to XMas them to my Lefty Buddy , Doug C. I couldn't get the web site to process my order as a guest, on a Sunday. I shot them an Email, got an answer at Dawn Bmore time Monday and next thing I know I'm on the phone with Chris chatting. He took my order over the phone and shipped the same day. I had them in 48H. They are working Fine for me but I'm an XXF/Binder or SUF/SEF Mottinshaw Nayaya , of Franklin-Christoph /Matsuyama Needle point kind of guy.

I like a 7/10 wetness and tolerate a bit of shadowing , So take that into consideration. YMMV. Use the Contact Email site and Chris will be right back with you. He's got tremendous customer service. These were sold at the past DC Pen Show, so I'm sure some Stub/italic users are out there. Lets hear UR thoughts, Folks, Jim

They look interesting. Seems legit, but I couldn't get their online sales page to display.

If you are in the area, you could try one of their retailers. They list Trohv, in Baltimore, as one.

If you get one, post a review!

Hmm..I don't have a problem getting to the sales page? It's just shipping is flat-rate, and the notebooks are expensive enough. I guess I'll have to take a trip over to Trohv. I was actually in there last week and didn't even know they had them there! Thanks for your help, I definitely will post a review if I get one.

–Tori

I have the notebooks in Pocket size, I've not had a chance to XMas them to my Lefty Buddy , Doug C. I couldn't get the web site to process my order as a guest, on a Sunday. I shot them an Email, got an answer at Dawn Bmore time Monday and next thing I know I'm on the phone with Chris chatting. He took my order over the phone and shipped the same day. I had them in 48H. They are working Fine for me but I'm an XXF/Binder or SUF/SEF Mottinshaw Nayaya , of Franklin-Christoph /Matsuyama Needle point kind of guy. I like a 7/10 wetness and tolerate a bit of shadowing , So take that into consideration. YMMV. Use the Contact Email site and Chris will be right back with you. He's got tremendous customer service. These were sold at the past DC Pen Show, so I'm sure some Stub/italic users are out there. Lets hear UR thoughts, Folks, Jim

Wow that's awesome! Thanks so much for your help.

–Tori

Check the review at edjelley.com

gary

Thank you, this is really helpful. I don't use a lot of super-wet pens so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and try them!

–Tori

• 3 months later...

DisquietingMuse,

I had the honor to test drive their paper at the 2013 Washington Pen Show, as their 'station' was across from that of the Washington Calligraphers Guild table. I work with fountain pens as well as vintage fountain pens with flex nibs, to include dip pen nibs, as I can use gouache`, metalic watercolors, variety of ink from fountain pen to acrylics.

I was very impressed with their product as they were impressed with my 1800's style writing. I did suggest adding more potato starch into the process as this is what restricts the bleeding.

I can say honestly, that August 2013 weekend, at The Washington Pen Show was their debut` into the public and weren't prepared for the overwhelmingly positive responses and feedback. I warned them that those of us into dip pens or fountain pens will be starving for their paper. Yes, it has texture as to feed back as you write but, with an ultra sharp dip pen nib fan, there weren't any snags. I told Chris Rothe (the founder) that I appreciated him binding the notebooks to the flow of the paper's making--as their paper had no watermarks. They depended on the headers to guide writers.

I gladly endorse them as far as their paper products. I like their 'spirit of intent' to bring writing back to the school kids.

Maria

Member of:
The Washington Calligraphers Guild

Living Historian of classical writing with feather quills, dip pens and fountain pens