Re: My Finished Pens Mahogany From Farhan

farhanc

Hello I have made my pens. I used Mahogany for wood and 14ct/kt gold vintage nib and sections and Sterling Silver for clips and band.

I got my 14 ct/kt nibs, sections and bits to make nib and sections work from a vintage pen parts supplier in the north of England.

I ordered my Sterling Silver clips and bands from a Silver pen parts manufacturer in America.

I got 1 pen band engraved with my name from a Central London engraver.

I had help from a London wood turner who helped when I got stuck.

The London based wood turner had a wood workshop in his shed, and gave advice and guidance and the use of his workshop. The London wood turner helped finish my pens off as I am novice.

I had a problem as band diameter was slightly smaller than nib section so we decided to put the band at the bottom.

The total cost was $200.38 (£123.01) including use of the workshop excluding the $24.43 (£15) for engraving for both pens.

I look forward for comments of aesthetics of my two fountain pens.

Yours

Farhan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• farhanc

• Inkling13

• rudyhou

• sanyalsoumitra

So these are friction fit caps? Won't those become loose with use? How well do they hold up in a shirt pocket?

Hello Inkling13

My pens are friction fit but the wood was measured precisely so that wood fits very tightly and the caps just fits. As regards to the pocket the pens are lightweight not heavy and the clip is sturdy and is not loose so it sits in pocket extremely well.

Yours

Farhan

Edited by farhanc

nice job :thumbup: . i love wooden pens.

Hello rudyhou

Thank you for your comments on my pens. It is nice to see my design and idea appreciated.

Yours

Farhan

Hello Inkling13

My pens are friction fit but the wood was measured precisely so that wood fits very tightly and the caps just fits. As regards to the pocket the pens are lightweight not heavy and the clip is sturdy and is not loose so it sits in pocket extremely well.

Yours

Farhan

So if they are friction fit, how will the joint handle wear? Threaded caps so work with wear, Just by the nature of threading, but friction fit relies on the surface tolerances to remain constant.

I love the shapes of the cap and barrel. thanks for sharing.

Hello sanyalsoumitra

Thank you for your kind words on my pens. I appreciate the that you like the shape of my caps and barrels. It took me sometime trying to find the right design after searching for the internet and looking at various commercial pen designs, I then with help a professional wood turner made my pens. I decided to purchase my parts and then make my pens,without using any kit parts.

Yours

Farhan

Edited by farhanc

• 2 weeks later...

looks good

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time