• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mags

• MisterBoll

• RMN

• raging.dragon

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I wonder if the minimum run was 50 pens how many folks would want a LE pen named after a Canadian Prime Minister?

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

That would be grounds for never buying another CS pen again.

au contraire that would be grounds for buying multiple CS :P

• 3 weeks later...

In the unlikely chance that CS would consider this, I think Sir John A. Macdonald would be the best choice from historical and political perspectives.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

My money would go for a pen named for The Lord Stanley of Preston - http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/stanley_frederick_arthur_13E.html and here - http://www.stanleysbar.ca/html/lord_stanley.html

A Brit and a most famous Canadian!

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by MikeW

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

• 1 month later...

Diefenbaker for his Avro Aero supersonic jets.

He's actually rather infamous for being the one who killed the Avro Arrow, which also led to the collapse of the company, one of the biggest employers in all of Canada, and the resulting brain drain as their engineers emigrated. As an aviation enthusiast, I think any pen dedicated to him should be extraordinarily ugly, write poorly, and leak. Montegrappa has demonstrated they can handle the first part, but they might have to team up with some other manufacturer for the rest.

The independence of Canada from the UK was a long, slow and gradual process, and it seems there is no particular date which could be agreed upon to be as the day it became independent, so I guess CS might be able to consider many Canadians from its history as sufficiently British.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Well, the only Canadian I've been paying any attention to lately is William Shatner, and I don't expect a pen from CS or anyone else to be named for him!

But, seriously, I love CS for the pens, not for the pen names. Every one I have is a good, dependable writer, no hard starting with any ink I've used in them, smooth with no custom tweaking from any shop or myself.

My next major purchase will probably be a Lawyer. I'm not an attorney, but I work with legal issues all the time, and I just like the looks. On the other hand, it might be a Kipling; I love good literature, and the link there is attractive, as well as the pen's look. But again, it has much less to do with name than with an overall pleasing appearance and just plain good writing characteristics.

Well, the only Canadian I've been paying any attention to lately is William Shatner, and I don't expect a pen from CS or anyone else to be named for him!

But, seriously, I love CS for the pens, not for the pen names. Every one I have is a good, dependable writer, no hard starting with any ink I've used in them, smooth with no custom tweaking from any shop or myself.

My next major purchase will probably be a Lawyer. I'm not an attorney, but I work with legal issues all the time, and I just like the looks. On the other hand, it might be a Kipling; I love good literature, and the link there is attractive, as well as the pen's look. But again, it has much less to do with name than with an overall pleasing appearance and just plain good writing characteristics.

Agree, much as I like him, CS won't honour him. They even did not react to the question about a dr Who pen......A typical English TV-institution....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Historically, Canada is as British as Britain. British North America. They should do a Sir John A MacDonald pen. It would come with a bottle of scotch instead of a cigar.

Well, Shatner did a watch collaboration, so why not a pen?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/william-shatner-passages-watch-egard/

A Dr. Who pen would have to licensed by the BBC, like a Star Trek pen would have to be licensed by Paramount. However, a collaboration with one or more of the actors wouldn't necessarily involve any third parties.

• 5 years later...

Looking back on this Conway Stewart has ceased operations.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Yes, a great shame - although British Bespoke Pens are still producing new CS based pens ... With a Churchillian twist.

Also in the intervening years since this thread was started, the following is no longer true (the foreign-born bit) .....

I would think if CS were to honor a Canadian with a fountain pen it would be Andrew Bonar Law.

He was the only Canadian-born (and foreign born) Prime Minister of the UK, but he didn't really accomplish anything noteworthy in office. He also had one of the shortest tenures as PM serving only 211 days because he was diagnosed with throat cancer shortly after assuming the office and had to resign.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Fun discussion. Does anybody else get a little tired of Conway-Stewart and Onoto's "we're so English" nonsense? (written as a Scot living in Canada)

Fun discussion. Does anybody else get a little tired of Conway-Stewart and Onoto's "we're so English" nonsense? (written as a Scot living in Canada)

Especially with German nibs & converters...

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

What odds on a CS Boris Johnson commemorative?

Do you think perhaps the European Union might fund the idea?

• 3 weeks later...

Conway Stewart was after all a much loved British pen company, and seems fair and appropriate to name models after well known British heroes, heroes of all kinds!

The only reason to never buy another CS was if they named a pen after Tony Benn, unless it came with a grey cardigan finish with a hole in it! LOL

• 2 weeks later...