Macro Shots In Micro Tent

kirchh

I was wondering if I could make a really small light tent that would be inexpensive and simple to craft. Here's one of the first shots from it:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Misc/Sheaffer_Nib_in_Microtent.jpg

(click on it to make it bigger, maybe)

That has been scaled down; here's a detail from the original image, at full resolution:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Misc/Sheaffer_Nib_in_Microtent_Detail.jpg

Here's the microtent setup:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Misc/Microtent.jpg

It's made from a single sheet of paper; I printed a black rectangle to serve as the black drop, then a few cuts, folds, and some tape, and it was ready to go. It's a little awkward to use with my iCroScope-equipped iPhone because of the shape of the phone -- I had trouble getting the lens close enough for good focus -- but it was a fun ten-minute project nonetheless.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• da vinci

• bernardo

• Scribblesoften

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this looks interesting. So the back is black and the sides white. Can you impart a bit more information on your light position relative to the box/object/camera please?

A very ingenious approach to photographing a very cool looking nib! I like how the side of the tent doubles as a pen holder. Thanks for sharing!

Wow this looks interesting. So the back is black and the sides white. Can you impart a bit more information on your light position relative to the box/object/camera please?

I just moved it all around until I liked the result. The picture of the setup shows approximately where I had the lamp in relation to the box, but I suggest a lot of experimentation.

I had some questions about the iCroScope -- I have just a few left in stock that could be delivered in time for Christmas.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

• 1 month later...