Is This A Sheaffer Fashion?

grainweevil

Hello Sheafferites, I'm hoping you can either confirm my identification of this fountain pen and ballpoint set - or guide me to the correct one. I think it's a Fashion II, and one presumes an unwanted corporate gift, given the "Safeway" on the box and its totally unused condition. Instruction leaflet and two standard Sheaffer blue cartridges included. Dimensions as follows:

FP:

Capped: 137mm (5 3/8")

Uncapped: 123mm (4 7/8")

Posted: 156mm (6 1/8")

Diameter: 10.5mm (7/16")

Ballpoint: 133mm (5 1/4") long, 8mm (5/16") diameter.

On with the pics, which I probably over-did - sorry.

http://i44.tinypic.com/246rpms.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/20qltnt.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/4gnqtd.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/1603oyh.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/wjjex4.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mqp892.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/6fxmdy.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/bfnrdt.jpg

Any info would be greatly welcomed, such as is it any good? Y'know, basic stuff like that! Thank you kindly.

Cheers, Al

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• grainweevil

• gee09

• terim

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a Fashion all right ....

Please see page 4 of our Sheaffer identifier ...

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/resources/pen-resources/sheaffer_models_part_4

They are good pens, but not very popular and not worth too much. We usually sell them for around $30 if they are perfect.

Teri

Thanks, Teri - still new to pen identification, so it's nice to get confirmation from someone who knows. All a learning process. Not really bothered about value; figured it was always going to be more than the fifty pence I paid (Eighty cents, or thereabouts?), so no worries.

I suppose the unpopularity accounts for why I've found little info online, and a good deal of it contradictory. Is the II the fatter one like this, and the I the original slim version? Or is it the other way round, as I read somewhere else? 1983 to the 1990s? Or 1990s to 2002? So if anyone has anything about its history, please share. I know it's only recent, and therefore probably very few people are interested, but I suffer from a terrible need to know. One thread on here did have some catalogue scans, but "image moved or deleted". So near, and yet...

Cheers, Al

Boy, I really don't know about the versions, but I do have scans from the 1992 catalog on my web site which will provide some info .....

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/resources/pen-resources/sheaffer-1992-white-dot-catalog-page-2

Best

Teri

That's a nice looking set. Did these pens compete with pens like the Parker Insignia?

The Insignia seems to be another pen with little following.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks, Teri - still new to pen identification, so it's nice to get confirmation from someone who knows. All a learning process. Not really bothered about value; figured it was always going to be more than the fifty pence I paid (Eighty cents, or thereabouts?), so no worries.

I suppose the unpopularity accounts for why I've found little info online, and a good deal of it contradictory. Is the II the fatter one like this, and the I the original slim version? Or is it the other way round, as I read somewhere else? 1983 to the 1990s? Or 1990s to 2002? So if anyone has anything about its history, please share. I know it's only recent, and therefore probably very few people are interested, but I suffer from a terrible need to know. One thread on here did have some catalogue scans, but "image moved or deleted". So near, and yet...

Cheers, Al

Hi Al,

I think the Wider Profile Fashion Fountain pens came out late 92 or early 93, the slimmer Fashion fountain pen was the earlier of the two, and I believe these early Fashion pens may have developed out of the 1980's TRZ range. There was also a range of clipless pens called 'In-Fashion' made in the 80's and early 90's, these pens had the same profile as the slim Fashion pens but without the clip.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers

Gary

Cheers, Al

The converter is worth more than you paid for that nice pen. That was a great buy!

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

That's a nice looking set. Did these pens compete with pens like the Parker Insignia?

The Insignia seems to be another pen with little following.

I think the Fashion II was introduced to come up against the Parker 95 in the early 1990's, it was a really good selling range in our shop and would out sell the 95 on price point and also being presented in a nicer gift box. I remember Parker introducing a free ballpoint pen on the 95 range to get some sales back, they also did this on the 75 range because the Targa was also a very strong model in the early part of the 90's. I can't comment on what went on in the 70's or 80's that was before my time.

However the Duofold did sell better than the Connaisseur at the top end of the range. I think the Insignia came along a little later than the Fashion range, but I could be wrong. I always think of the Insignia as a ballpen and pencil only range because this is how it was first introduced.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by gee09

Gary, that's excellent; thank you so much. For a while I did wonder if it was a TRZ, then realised my mistake. And I am 1000% more informed about pens of that era than I ever was before. Clearly an area wide open for collecting owing to zero competition!

Cheers, Al

• 3 years later...

This is one of my favorite pen.

Very good smooth writer, and because it is not popular it can be obtained cheaply and definitely better than some of the newer (modern) fountain pen at $30 price point (usually entry level for known brand fountain pen e.g. parker jotter FP,).

• 1 year later...

Fashion I, which was thicker than the Fashion II. It also had concentric circles in the gold plating on the top of the cap. The Fashion II had a smooth top of cap.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator