Hello From Canada

RickHenderson

Hi everyone!

I came across FPN a year or two ago and thought it was interesting, because I've always liked fountain pens but I've never written with them until recently. I've been trying my hand here and there and decided to get back into it today, and started tracking down the fountain pens I have.

The thing that has kept me away was mainly that I am left handed, and that I was confusing calligraphy pens with fountain pens but I think I have that settled now :)

I received a nice pen set from my Mom a few years ago that had two pens: one thick and one thin with gold plating on the outside. The thin one is sitting right here and it has the word SIGMA embossed on the edge of the barrel but I doubt it is a real SIGMA. I can't seem to open it and the ink may have dried.

I also have a Platinum Preppy Pen (03) sitting here and while it is nice, it seems to bleed through all the papers I have, but I'm willing to keep trying.

I've always prided myself on my handwriting and wanted to get in to calligraphy. I totally spent most of the day at work reading articles on penmanship and styles of cursive! :)

I have a few pens laying around somewhere that I have to find but nothing impressive that other people seem to be posting. I have a tendancy to move from interest to interest but writing/calligraphy is something that I always come back to (and most things design related) so maybe I can make a home here for a little while.

I saw some other threads where people were posting their samples, but I haven't seen any here, so I'll just link to one: http://flic.kr/p/i3aMrZ which you can view if you want.

Looking forward to finding my way around this site. I have a cool business card from an amazing pen shop in Toronto and as soon as I find it I'll post something about it in the right forum if appropriate.

All the best!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RickHenderson

• PAKMAN

• 85AKbN

• Dalimar

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome. I was just rewatching 49th Parallel (1941), a fictional movie set in Canada during WWII. Great movie starring Eric Portman, Lawrence Olivier, Anton Walbrook, and Raymond Massey.

Welcome, RickHenderson !

You have fallen into warm, generous people, who welcome sharing their experiences of all kinds. I am confident that they can help keep your pens well-maintained for pleasurable writing.

Bleed-through is more an issue of ink and paper, than the pen. It is generally solvable.

We have many left-handed fountain pen users. Some with beautiful handwriting. Help is on the way.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome Rick! Glad you've joined us; it's great to have you here.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome Rick, here you will find a nice community of people loving fountain pens and willing to help you.

Welcome.

Claudio

Thanks everyone. Maybe my standards are too high and I'll just learn to write only on one side of the page. Besides if I was doing artwork I wouldn't be using the back anyway. Toured a store called write Impressions today and looked at their line of Lamy,Visconti, and a few other pens.

Did I mention I also like specialty paper? :)

Howdy Rick and welcome to the FPN

Enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hello Rick - a pleasure to see more Canadians joining FPN. I'm in Calgary. Do you have any good pen shops in your area? Feel free to PM me back if you have some leads... Cheers, Michael

• 5 months later...

Welcome Rick. I too am new here and also from Canada. Us Canucks need to stick together eh?

I am right handed, but as a left handed person, do you find smearing an issue when writing? When writing doesn't your hand travel across what was most recently penned? My mother is a lefty, but she has trained herself to write with her hand never touching the paper. She also writes with a right-handed slant so you would never know she was a lefty unless you saw her writing.

Dalimar

"All great truths begin as Blasphemies" - George Bernard Shaw

"Better then a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

"Change only takes place through action, not through meditation and prayer alone" - The Dali Lama