Diamine Salamander

Edjelley

Diamine Salamander

Ink Review

Pen: Lamy Al-Star - Medium Nib

Ink: Diamine Salamander

Paper: Kyokuto F.O.B. COOP B5 Dot Grid

Notes:

At the time of writing, I said I was still on the fence about this ink. I've been converted. I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It looks kind of like burnt oil, pond scum, spa mud, garbage water, and after a quick google image search, it looks a lot like a salamander. Do all of these gross-colored things I'm comparing it to mean I don't like the ink? Not at all. It's like a darker version of Rohrer and Klingner's Alt-Goldgrun, which was a bit too light for me. The subtle shading shows off the yellow undertones of the ink, while the sections where the ink pools look near-black. Once the ink is dry, it's more obvious that this is a dark green with brown and black hues as well. I'll gladly try any new ink that Diamine makes, they're one of my favorite brands in terms of color offerings and performance. The Salamander flows and dries just like I'd expect, and the ink goes down smoothly in the Lamy's medium nib. Will I be buying a bottle of Salamander? I'm not sure yet, but it's certainly a unique offering from Diamine that I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Pros:

• Unique color
  • Subtle shading
  • Good performance

Cons:

• The unique color is also a little gross

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-1.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-2.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-3.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-4.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-5.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-6.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-7.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-9.jpg

http://edjelley.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/diamine-salamander-fountain-pen-ink-review-10.jpg

Original review, and more can be seen at: http://edjelley.com/2013/11/29/diamine-salamander-ink-review/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8281994784_555e82af5b_o.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• proton007

• lapis

• mhosea

Very nice review... love the photos and extensive writing samples. I did purchase a whole bottle of this ink and am still trying to like it. IMO it could be a bit darker in shade. The green is there and it does do it's name justice. I recommend this ink in a wet writer for sure.

JC3

Cons:

• The unique color is also a little gross

My goodness.... don't let our capt'n in on this one....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

As I understand it, the inspiration for the name has to do with the Sopwith Salamander. An authentic hue for the paint color(s) used on the top and lateral surfaces of the aircraft would be elusive, but apparently the color fired some connections in the namer's psyche. For my part, when I write with this ink, I think of the Sopwith Salamander or simply of camouflage paint jobs. The ink is mostly the dark, earthy green that one might see in camouflage. Maybe it is only my imagination, but I feel that it has a khaki or tan undertone on the verge of coming out, as if to write in a multi-color camo paint job. With some yellowish paper assist maybe it even does a little in the shading.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

My goodness.... don't let our capt'n in on this one....

Well - hello there!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

As I understand it, the inspiration for the name has to do with the Sopwith Salamander. An authentic hue for the paint color(s) used on the top and lateral surfaces of the aircraft would be elusive, but apparently the color fired some connections in the namer's psyche. For my part, when I write with this ink, I think of the Sopwith Salamander or simply of camouflage paint jobs. The ink is mostly the dark, earthy green that one might see in camouflage. Maybe it is only my imagination, but I feel that it has a khaki or tan undertone on the verge of coming out, as if to write in a multi-color camo paint job. With some yellowish paper assist maybe it even does a little in the shading.

Actually, the original idea was from the PC10 (Protective Colouring 10) as described here.

There's not an easy answer to your question, as the colour wasn't constant. The dope used for aircraft upper-surfaces on the Western Front was PC 10 (Protective Colouring No 10) and the pigments were natural oxide of iron (yellow ochre) and lamp black/carbon black, in the ratio of 250 to 1 (ochre is comparatively heavy and lamp black is very light); this produced a dark brown mixture. To spread it on to aeroplane fabric, the mixture was added to cellulose or oil varnish, something that caused an optical effect known as 'green shift', which caused the doped area to look greenish under some light conditions. The degree of green shift varied depending on the type of varnish used. However, as the aeroplane was exposed to the elements, the green shift was reduced and it took on a definite dark brown appearance.

I knew that a mix of black and yellow paints produced the same sort of green/brown colour anyway and remembering pictures of Salamanders, black with yellow blotch markings, or olive or brown gave me the idea.

The fact that there actually was a Sopwith Salamander was a bonus - I only really new about the Camels and the Pups!

The Good Captain

Well alright then! I stand corrected.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Actually, the original idea was from the PC10 (Protective Colouring 10) as described here.

There's not an easy answer to your question, as the colour wasn't constant. The dope used for aircraft upper-surfaces on the Western Front was PC 10 (Protective Colouring No 10) and the pigments were natural oxide of iron (yellow ochre) and lamp black/carbon black, in the ratio of 250 to 1 (ochre is comparatively heavy and lamp black is very light); this produced a dark brown mixture. To spread it on to aeroplane fabric, the mixture was added to cellulose or oil varnish, something that caused an optical effect known as 'green shift', which caused the doped area to look greenish under some light conditions. The degree of green shift varied depending on the type of varnish used. However, as the aeroplane was exposed to the elements, the green shift was reduced and it took on a definite dark brown appearance.

I knew that a mix of black and yellow paints produced the same sort of green/brown colour anyway and remembering pictures of Salamanders, black with yellow blotch markings, or olive or brown gave me the idea.

The fact that there actually was a Sopwith Salamander was a bonus - I only really new about the Camels and the Pups!

How historically fathomable, how scientifically precisional! And I thought it just reflected the raising and cuddling of salamanders in your spare time.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Wow, that was historically interesting, and thank you for the review and the inky avatar.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

How historically fathomable, how scientifically precisional! And I thought it just reflected the raising and cuddling of salamanders in your spare time.

In-Spired!

The Good Captain

Yes, the avatar is quite..um...'intriguing'.

But the ink has a unique shade.

However, going by the shades over at Diamine's website, I have a question for Diamine users.

The ink colors they have on the website are swab samples, and some of them are pretty close. Would they be distinguishable in writing?

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

In-Spired!

Didn't you mean "Ink-Spired"?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Didn't you mean "Ink-Spired"?

Such fun!

The Good Captain

However, going by the shades over at Diamine's website, I have a question for Diamine users.

The ink colors they have on the website are swab samples, and some of them are pretty close. Would they be distinguishable in writing?

Ah! The thing is that those swab samples bear little resemblance to the ink from a nib and this is what creates the thrill of the chase.

You have a shade in mind that you want to try. You compare the swabs on Diamine's and various seller's sites along with scans on FPN. Using your expensively gained skill and judgement you make your choice - and a bottle of ink turns up!

Occasionally I have been spot on, sometimes I've had a happy discovery but much of the time there is disappointment.

But tastes change and many disappointments later become regulars.

Just because the swabs look the same, it does not mean the inks are the same!

So far Salamander is one of the disappointments. I love the idea of a sludgy greeny brown but all I can see is the green. Only in one really wet pen does it approach what I was expecting but drying times over a minute are impractical.

Now there could be many reasons for this. Certainly we all perceive colours differently for a start. Also, I think I hold my pen in a odd way which causes the nib to be moving more sideways which could affect things.

But never mind - the fun is in the chase!

Ah! The thing is that those swab samples bear little resemblance to the ink from a nib and this is what creates the thrill of the chase.

You have a shade in mind that you want to try. You compare the swabs on Diamine's and various seller's sites along with scans on FPN. Using your expensively gained skill and judgement you make your choice - and a bottle of ink turns up!

Occasionally I have been spot on, sometimes I've had a happy discovery but much of the time there is disappointment.

[...]

This little test I did might come in handy for those who want slightly less of a chase: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/250366-all-diamine-inks-compared/

But what do I know? My approach was to buy the whole lot and try them out :)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

This little test I did might come in handy for those who want slightly less of a chase: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/250366-all-diamine-inks-compared/

But what do I know? My approach was to buy the whole lot and try them out :)

Wow. Thanks for the link!

Some of those are pretty close indeed.

Seems like I need to purchase some more inks :D

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Just because the swabs look the same, it does not mean the inks are the same!

So far Salamander is one of the disappointments. I love the idea of a sludgy greeny brown but all I can see is the green. Only in one really wet pen does it approach what I was expecting but drying times over a minute are impractical.

Now there could be many reasons for this. Certainly we all perceive colours differently for a start. Also, I think I hold my pen in a odd way which causes the nib to be moving more sideways which could affect things.

Yeah, the ink flow from the pen makes a huge difference.

The monitor's color calibration makes an even bigger difference. Cheap monitors are sometimes off by quite a lot.

I was hoping to try out the salamander. At my home monitor (color calibrated), it looks more like a dark grey-green.

Edited by proton007

- Alan Watts

how does this compare to Stipula's Musk green? both of these are on my want list, but will end up getting only one or the other, not both.