Sheaffer Dolphin Disassembly

CaptainDan

I recently purchased a non-functioning cartridge-fill Sheaffer Dolphin with the hope of restoring it, and despite my best efforts and much soaking in dilute ammonia solution, it still refuses to write. Consequently, I am looking to disassemble the section to see if the previous owner clogged it up with India ink or the like.

I am aware that these pens can be disassembled with patience and persistence, so I have but two questions:

1) Where precisely on the section should heat be applied to loosen the thread sealant/shellac?

2) What direction does the section or cartridge nipple turn when they are ready to come apart?

Thanks so much for your help!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainDan

• Ron Z

• penwash

• Paul80

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner (USC)?

I would use a USC before opening up the section.

I have received used pens that were completely blocked up with dry ink, and they required many sessions in the USC to clean out the dry ink.

The other option is to put the section into a narrow glass, like a tall shot glass. Position the section tip down, so the liquified ink will drift down out of the section.

Then fill the glass with water or your ammonia solution, and let it SIT overnight. You want to disolve the dry ink inside the section. As it disolves and liquifies the old dry ink, you should see a cloud of ink drifting out of the feed/nib.

Then in the morning, flush or rinse the section with water, and blot the nib, to draw out any liquified ink.

Then repeat the process.

Do this 2x a day for as many days as it takes until no more ink blots out.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Greetings,

Thank you for your response! To be perfectly honest, I kind of want to open up the section, as the feed of an 800 is something that I have wanted to see for quite some time.

The Dolphin section comes apart pretty much the same way as a standard Imperial nib unit. The black section threads unscrew from the shell with a little heat. Apply heat over the back end of the shell - not too much or the shell can melt or distort. the feed will then pull out. You should replace the 0-ring in the section, and secure the threads with some thread sealant. I don't know that I'd want to use shellac as it sets too hard, and if you tighten the section threads back in you might have trouble getting it apart again. The thread sealant will provide enough traction that the threads won't unscrew when you take the section out of the barrel.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The Dolphin section comes apart pretty much the same way as a standard Imperial nib unit. The black section threads unscrew from the shell with a little heat. Apply heat over the back end of the shell - not too much or the shell can melt or distort. the feed will then pull out. You should replace the 0-ring in the section, and secure the threads with some thread sealant. I don't know that I'd want to use shellac as it sets too hard, and if you tighten the section threads back in you might have trouble getting it apart again. The thread sealant will provide enough traction that the threads won't unscrew when you take the section out of the barrel.

Ron has spoken! Do I understand you correctly in that the cartridge nipple/retaining plate unscrew from the section and vice versa? Also, what would you recommend as a thread sealant?

Thanks for your help and have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Rons own thread sealant it top stuff

Pop along to his site and look under Stuff.

And unlike some others in this business his "Suff" is not at a rip off price.

Paul

• 2 years later...

Reviving this 3 years old thread, here's my question:

Is it possible to swap the nib of a Dolphin?

I have a 500 model with Fine steel nib and I'd like to swap it with a 14K stub, if it's possible at all.

I'm hoping that the Dolphin's nib is not as securely "integrated" with the section as the Imperials and PFM.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

You have to disassemble the nib unit i.e. pull the thread bushing, 0-ring and feed to release the nib. The nib has a raised tab that catches the inside edge of the section, and held captive by the feed. Its rather small, as in not a heck of a lot bigger than what is exposed. This pen wasn't made for very long and there aren't a lot of them around, so it may be rather difficult to find said 14K stub nib. It would also look a bit weird - the gold nib with chrome inlaid lines on the shell and chrome trim.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Hi Ron, thank you for answering my question. I'll see if I can find a spare Dolphin unit to practice what you described.

It may end up looking non-uniform, but it doesn't bother me at all. :)

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens