Review Of The Montblanc Classic

faf

Hi everyone !

Have you ever held the perfect pen, I mean the pen that is perfect for you, that suits all your needs. The first time you wrote with it, had something different that you cannot really explain perfectly. Well that is the case of the Montblanc Classic. It is pretty similar to the 221 and the Genreration, fitted with a medium 14 k semi-flexible nib. Here is my review, the more objective way possible.

post-108207-0-66525300-1385433010_thumb.jpg

The look : Very classic, vintage look to it. Does not look like the modern Montblanc's and it is a good thing ! very original for a montblanc but if you step away from theses brand standards you see a beautiful pen, very classy. The nib section of the pen is absolutely amazing. I often get great comments about it ! "What montblanc is this" "I've never seen this before ? what is the model name ?"

post-108207-0-06919900-1385432996_thumb.jpg

The nib : It is a VERY smooth nib ! very enjoyable. It is a 14k semi-flexible nib... When I bought it, the selle told me that the nib was flexible... well I can't say that the nib is "flexible"... Is is way more " semi-flexible" than flexible. Thus, It has a great feeling to it, pretty sprigny, the perfect everyday writer.

post-108207-0-99330100-1385433030_thumb.jpg

Weight and balance : It is a pretty lightweight pen (about 16g), made of a plastic like material. However, it is perfectly balanced and does not feel cheap. It is very pleasant to hold and you can write for a long long time without being uncomfortable. Personally, I like heavier pens... but the classic is so well balanced and comfortable that it is not an issue at all.

post-108207-0-05316600-1385432985_thumb.jpg

Feed : You have to love wet pens because it is flowing generously. It is incredible..... I mean it never stops or dries out : you could write at max speed for 5 hours and if there is ink in the converter, it will never stop or skip, it will be as wet as in the first minute.

post-108207-0-23208500-1385432973_thumb.jpg

Conclusion : It is my favorite pen, I use it everyday and I like absolutely everything about this pen. The only thing that could be better is the weight and construction, since the pen is very light. Grab one if you can ! And once again, I don't like giving notes to the pens I review : writing is personal, so I let you make an idea with the information I give !

*** English is not my first language so please understand if I made some mistakes in the reveiw, I hope it is helpful and interesting and if you have any comments, I will be more than happy to read them

post-108207-0-45581600-1385433048_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• faf

• bernardo

• Drone

• Montblanc owner and lover

@faf, I believe the model number of this pen is 221, often referred to as the "Classic". They are nice pens and usually come with semi-flex niibs. I've seen them on offer for less than $100 USD.

@bernardo, the 221 is a C/C filler and usually comes with a screw converter.

@faf, I believe the model number of this pen is 221, often referred to as the "Classic". They are nice pens and usually come with semi-flex niibs. I've seen them on offer for less than $100 USD.

@bernardo, the 221 is a C/C filler and usually comes with a screw converter.

Drone: Thank you.

faf: Does your pen have the model number engraved on the cap ring?

Edited by bernardo

Nice pen...have you a generation? As the 2 like close i think it would be interesting to have a comparison of the two...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Drone: Thank you.

faf: Does your pen have the model number engraved on the cap ring?

No the 221 have the number engraved in the cap ring ! But mine it is just engraved " Montblanc W-Germany"

Nice pen...have you a generation? As the 2 like close i think it would be interesting to have a comparison of the two...

No I don't have the generation ! but you're right ! it would be very interesting to do a comparison !

I have a MB Classic myself in black and it's a great pen. It's very underrated in my opinion. You rarely read about them in the MB forum. I agree about the nib. It writes very wet and it's very soft/semi-flexible. You can get a fair amount of line variation with it. I like your burgundy Classic.

It's a good option for someone who is looking for an affordable entry into MB fountain pens.

I see you've found my review of mine from a couple of years ago:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/197240-a-true-classic-a-mini-review-of-my-new-montblanc-classic/

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I have one that has a hairline crack starting at the v shaped notch and moving up the section. It means tha pen leaks ink and stains my fingers. It is a pity becuase the nib is a oy to write with.

• 2 months later...

yes ! I heard mine is the older classic and the one shown on your pictures is the younger one ! very similar to the generation !

I found this very interesting and am now more convinced than ever there may have been a fair bit of mixing to clear this series by MB. The reason I say this is I have from new ( late 70 early 80s)a burgundy single gold ring cap with the nib that has only 'mont blanc' as per the classic which has two gold rings .The engraving on the cap is mont blanc germany.

This was a great pen till I broke the nib .Any ideas where I could get another nib?

I found this very interesting and am now more convinced than ever there may have been a fair bit of mixing to clear this series by MB. The reason I say this is I have from new ( late 70 early 80s)a burgundy single gold ring cap with the nib that has only 'mont blanc' as per the classic which has two gold rings .The engraving on the cap is mont blanc germany.

This was a great pen till I broke the nib .Any ideas where I could get another nib?

I've already seen some of those nibs on ebay... but they are pretty rare I think.