Need Help In Choosing My First Serious Fountain Pen

Ryan_of_Mars

Ah, I forgot to tell you all my spending limits! Also, I'm looking for something that will make the safari look like a bic. My limit is $800.

If I were you, I would look into the Conway Stewart line. Check out their website and I'm sure you can find something to your liking. Great writers, will last you a lifetime, great marbled pens of various sizes and prices. No breather hole in the 18 ct. nib makes them pretty distinctive.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ryan_of_Mars

• Skyppere

• Scribblesoften

• langere

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my vote for a Pelikan M600 Ruby Red or M800 Blue O' Blue. I prefer the Ruby Red for color, but the M800 for size. Both have GREAT nibs.

Not perfectly round? Must be marbled, and not solid color. How about filling system?

I'm going to toss a +3 for Stevekolt, Sharon888, and quabop. Go to Edison Pen. You have the funds available to ask him to create a custom pen just for you out of any one of the scores of materials he has available. Start by looking at his signature and production models for ideas. Check his smugmug page galleries to see the custom work and all the different available materials. Your pen doesn't have to be one of his models, you can describe what you want and he'll work with you. Including the nib, he'll work to have it tuned the way you want it. The more intricate, the more cost, but I think you'll be more than well within your budget once done. You might even find a pen you like in his current inventory gallery.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

$800... Why go from $8 to $800? Plenty of in between. I don't think once you get past $250 you are actually getting a nicer writing pen, only rarer, different material, or brand status.

I spent hours at Paradise Pen playing with all the high end pens, and not one actually beat my Parker Sonnet with the 18k nib.

the feel is a different topic. I love Graf Von Faber Castell pens.

Personally, spend $350 on a pen, $50 on inks and paper, and put $400 away in savings. You will thank yourself later. That $800 pen will be $200 in a few months to short years. The savings will be worth more or at least not go down.

Other options, find a nice used Visconti Wall St, the celluloid colors are awesome.

If you want a life long instrument I'd at least visit the Nakaya site. why not buy at the top of your budget. Look at it this way, you could buy one Nakaya or 40 Metropolitans... which is not to knock the latter, I have 2 myself but hey, I say take the BIG plunge.

Then report back on your decision!

http://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/15011(1).jpg

Edited by Skyppere

If you want a life long instrument I'd at least visit the Nakaya site. why not buy at the top of your budget. Look at it this way, you could buy one Nakaya or 40 Metropolitans... which is not to knock the latter, I have 2 myself but hey, I say take the BIG plunge.

Then report back on your decision!

http://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/15011(1).jpg

Why waste money? Sure it is a custom pen, but from what I take it... he is on a budget and mostly stuck with cheap Chinese pens, read under $10. Why on earth would you say someone should SPEND, on something they will NEVER GET BACK at the top of their budget.

You can buy a pilot metropolitan for $15, so that is like 53 Pilot Metropolitans vs one regular one.

I once again compare it to the gun world.

Someone going from cheap $100 guns to spending $5,000 for a custom built gun that has its own set of issues. Furthermore, there is a very little market for resale, so you better be sure you want it.

If he spends $800 on a custom pen... and he does not like it... thanks, you just cost him $800. That is the annual wage in many parts of the world.

If he buys a higher end brand, here, used, for say a few hundred, odds are, if he does not like it, he will be able to sell it for the same price, and not take any hit. If he goes to the store, retail, he can always return the pen if he does not like it, but most of all, he can test drive the pen before buying it.

I made the mistake of wanting a Mont Blanc. Even though it was not my money, I feel good I did not buy it, $550 on a plastic pen that is only marginally a better writer than a $5 Jinhao 500 I just got on ebay.

A fool and their money are soon parted. Pens are an expense, no different than smoking, drugs, alchol, high priced shoes, etc. Paying retail, you better be sure you really like it.

From my short time here.... the used market for pens is worse than guns, so makes sense.

In the short time, I purchased a MontBlanc Starwalker for $200 which was a $560 pen. My other short list item is a Visconti Wall St, a $700 pen going for mid $200's, brand new uninked.

Pens are not some hard to produce item, they are mass produced item, only held up in value because of the market and community willing to support their own little world. You know it is a wasteful market when there is on average 100% markup between wholesale and retail, and god knows the margins between cost to produce and wholesale. Pens are a worse investment of dollars than new Cars. You are not going to buy a brand new BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, take it on a tow truck to your garage, and voila... magically you lost 60% of the value. That is what pens are. You can drive a car for a few years, put on some miles, put on some scratches and you can turn it in for anywhere between 65 and 75% of the value... and that is with miles on it. And we all know cars are a horrible asset. So why are people so ok telling someone to blow A LOT more money on a freaking pen.

So just because you think your budget is $800, I implore you not to waste your money.

Just my comments as a financial planner, avid gun collector and a newbie fountain pen appreciator.

Btw... I did look at those Nakayas, I think they are ugly quite frankly. Don't know about how they write, but it just screams cheap $5 Chinese pen design. Just a cigar tube with some pictures on it. Graf Von Faber Castells, Visconti Pinaforina, now we are talking designs.

The only problem is that there are way too many pens to choose from ;~;. Some specifications: A sexy nib, a marble/ resin look, and also it can't be one solid color.

No there are not too many to choose from. This is too early for you to buy so expensive pen, because you don't know exactly what you want. You need to be way more accurate in your preferences. Which filling system? What size, weight? Post capping option or not? Flexible or stiff, italic or medium? Threaded or a snap on cap? Disassemblable?

I can understand your mindset though, i have very similar thoughts about an ultimate pen. I'm not too interested of collecting, i just want one incredible pen and that's all. At this point i would suggest you look for Aurora Optima, they are around 500 $. Colorful and interesting look with maybe the best piston system you can get, but they are round shaped. Omas Paragon has some edges in the shape and Monteverde Regatta is somewhat interesting with magnet cap and all. Check them and continue your search by saving lot of photos of favourites to your computer. Gather information of users experiences.

You could also think of buying a mid priced pen as a template, then send it to a maki-e master or some goldsmith for further decoration. But again you must know what you want from them and show some plan.

There are other ways than the easiest one too.

I would say get a Pelikan 800, Montblanc Calssique. Infact go with any Montblanc and you wont go wrong. Both the Pelikan and Montblanc offer solid pens, however if I had that money to spend I would be more lenient towards a montblanc.

Makism, thank you for telling me about the "visconti" brand. I am definitely buying the "opera elements" (probably the one that looks like a barber's pole). It's not that expensive, it looks amazing, and the weight seems perfect!

One other option might be Shawn Newton's Pens. He makes some very nice marbled look with some very unique shapes

http://newtonpens.wordpress.com/

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

What makes a nib "sexy" for you? Line variation? Responsiveness? Feedback? Smoothness?

Gun-nut financial planners probably aren't as familiar with Nakaya as some of the other posters here: I'd spend a while in the Japanese forum to learn about the pens, what makes them special and the artisanship that goes into them before you make your mind up one way or the other on the brand.

I was able to pick up a NOS Pelikan 120 II (Mrez & Krell) EF nib from the early 1970's and a more recent M205 in Toledo Red that is virtually new from a friend/FPN'r and pay less than 1/4 of what the top end of his range is for both - shipped. I expect them to arrive tomorrow.

This is where I got them: http://mbm47.net/sale.php?tab=1

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

What makes a nib "sexy" for you? Line variation? Responsiveness? Feedback? Smoothness?

Gun-nut financial planners probably aren't as familiar with Nakaya as some of the other posters here: I'd spend a while in the Japanese forum to learn about the pens, what makes them special and the artisanship that goes into them before you make your mind up one way or the other on the brand.

Regardless of familiarity with brand the advice is solid.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Italix Parson's Essential. Cheap, robust and smooth.

fpn_1378834271__1795.jpg

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Or two Pelikans...! Nah, go for the Nakaya! (I would get two Pelikans, though.)

I never thought I'd see a user named Rising Sun pick two Pelikans pens over a Nakaya, but here we are. I'd probably make the same choice, if it were two flexible 400NNs.

As far as my advice to the OP, if I had $800 to spend on a modern pen, judging purely by looks and reviews that I've read here on FPN, it would be a celluloid Omas Paragon.

If I were going to spend the money on a vintage pen, I'd probably try to find a Mint Parker Vacumatic Maxima in blue, with a flexible nib.

Edited by phaus

Ok, so it's not marbly, but still...

I would suggest a Parker Senior Max in Azure Blue, similar to this one, his little twin brother.

Esties-Vac%2520059.jpg

I would say it's nib is a nice match.

Esties-Vac%2520067.jpg

The larger size of the Maxima and Azure Blue bring the top dollar for Vacs. It may cost you $500-600. I myself would get a medium or broad (or a re-tip) and have it Stubbed.

I don't think they are going to get any cheaper. If you got a decent deal you'd probably be able to always get your money back.

A MaxiVac in Azure Blue will probably get a double take from pen and non-pen people alike.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Why waste money? Sure it is a custom pen, but from what I take it... he is on a budget and mostly stuck with cheap Chinese pens, read under $10. Why on earth would you say someone should SPEND, on something they will NEVER GET BACK at the top of their budget.

You can buy a pilot metropolitan for $15, so that is like 53 Pilot Metropolitans vs one regular one.

I once again compare it to the gun world.

Someone going from cheap $100 guns to spending $5,000 for a custom built gun that has its own set of issues. Furthermore, there is a very little market for resale, so you better be sure you want it.

If he spends $800 on a custom pen... and he does not like it... thanks, you just cost him $800. That is the annual wage in many parts of the world.

If he buys a higher end brand, here, used, for say a few hundred, odds are, if he does not like it, he will be able to sell it for the same price, and not take any hit. If he goes to the store, retail, he can always return the pen if he does not like it, but most of all, he can test drive the pen before buying it.

I made the mistake of wanting a Mont Blanc. Even though it was not my money, I feel good I did not buy it, $550 on a plastic pen that is only marginally a better writer than a $5 Jinhao 500 I just got on ebay.

A fool and their money are soon parted. Pens are an expense, no different than smoking, drugs, alchol, high priced shoes, etc. Paying retail, you better be sure you really like it.

From my short time here.... the used market for pens is worse than guns, so makes sense.

In the short time, I purchased a MontBlanc Starwalker for $200 which was a $560 pen. My other short list item is a Visconti Wall St, a $700 pen going for mid $200's, brand new uninked.

Pens are not some hard to produce item, they are mass produced item, only held up in value because of the market and community willing to support their own little world. You know it is a wasteful market when there is on average 100% markup between wholesale and retail, and god knows the margins between cost to produce and wholesale. Pens are a worse investment of dollars than new Cars. You are not going to buy a brand new BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, take it on a tow truck to your garage, and voila... magically you lost 60% of the value. That is what pens are. You can drive a car for a few years, put on some miles, put on some scratches and you can turn it in for anywhere between 65 and 75% of the value... and that is with miles on it. And we all know cars are a horrible asset. So why are people so ok telling someone to blow A LOT more money on a freaking pen.

So just because you think your budget is $800, I implore you not to waste your money.

Just my comments as a financial planner, avid gun collector and a newbie fountain pen appreciator.

Btw... I did look at those Nakayas, I think they are ugly quite frankly. Don't know about how they write, but it just screams cheap $5 Chinese pen design. Just a cigar tube with some pictures on it. Graf Von Faber Castells, Visconti Pinaforina, now we are talking designs.

My goodness, I seem to have struck a nerve here! I am really sorry to have upset you to this degree. You think they're ugly, I think they're beautiful. We could always let the poster decide? Why is it a waste of money? It is in all probability a waste of money for you because it's not something that appeals to you. He asked for a range of options and got ones from the Metroplitans to Nakayas. I'm not TELLING him to do anything.

Plus of course it's a matter of perspective. One person might by a new Honda at $27k while another thinks that extravagant... why not get a used car that will get you where you need to go? Why waste all that money on a new car? Another person will spend 5 times that amount on a car.

I think it's just too easy to judge people.

Finally he never really said he wanted to invest for resale. You mention that he won't get his money back. Does he want to or does he just want a nice pen. AGAIN, I was providing another option. One that doesn't appeal to YOU.

Man oh man... like I say I seem to have hit a nerve here and it was not my intention.

skyppere