Collective Name For Discbound Systems, Lihit Lab Twist Rings, Kokuyo Smart Ring, Etc?

Plume145

I mean the stuff that's got pages you can move around, but that isn't a traditional ringbinder with the bulky metal spine hardware to open and close the ring for accessing the paper (usually with 2/3/4 rings, sometimes 6 as with organizers BUT either way with the bulky hardware).

These are generally sold as 'notebook systems' (or just plain notebooks) but essentially they pack the versatility of a binder into a compact package like a notebook. To do that they usually sacrifice either sheet capacity, ease of adding/removing sheets, or hardiness of the binding mechanism. So, it includes all those I mentioned in the thread title, but excludes things like that Mead Flex thingy or ringbinder organizers (Filofax, daytimer, whatever the brand).

I tend to call these notebook/binder hybrids, but I was wondering if there were any other names about, like any industry names maybe? Something a bit shorter would be nice too - 'notebook/binder hybrid' is descriptive enough but it is quite a mouthful!

I'm asking because this type of notebook is a big focus of my paper-related interests; I've always enjoyed tweaking and tinkering with this type of thing (it reconciles two opposites tendencies - I love the idea of a notebook, but loose leaf and a binder is way more practical for me :P) A less awkward way to refer to these would be nice!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plume145

• amberleadavis

• WirsPlm

• Redblur

I've occasionally heard them referred to as disc-based notebooks (or disc-bound, the important thing is the disc), although more often refillable notebook is used to mean the general category of 'anything refillable that's not a binder'. I think a lot of people classify notebooks with ring systems in the same category as binders (or there simple isn't a large enough population of people using the weirder binding systems to have a specific term), there's not really a separate keyword for them that I know of.

Edited by WirsPlm

That's just it though - it's NOT just the discbound notebooks I'm talking about. You can just call those discbound notebooks and be done.

'Refillable' notebooks might work, the problem is that a google search of that turns up mostly regular bound notebooks with reusable covers (which you can buy a refill for, hence refillable) instead of real binder/notebook hybrids, where you can add pages or move them around.

Edited by Plume145

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Ah, yeah, there doesn't seem to be a more specific term for the weird non-disc non-three-ring binding systems (at least not in English). Maybe there is one in Asia, since a lot of them seem to be Japanese or Asian?

Might be, but OTOH with there being so many a generic name like 'binder' might refer to those there instead of the thick-spined metal binders. IDK.

Maybe any Japanese or Korean members could weigh in?

I think the generic term binder is just a catch-all for all of them, including Circa and the like. Back in the dark ages, we had this system that required you to completely take it apart to add/remove/re-arrange pages. The best way to describe it was that there was a post that fit inside another post and I suppose it must have been threaded part because it tightened like a screw. Haven't seen one of those ages though. Pages didn't seem to tear out like ring binders, but making a change was a PITA.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I know the ones you mean, with the post! I didn't know they were so old-school :P I actually know them mostly because they are a common way to home-bind scrapbooks - the elaborate kind that people make as a hobby to showcase mementos, not the kind that is the modern equivalent of a commonplace book to hold literal scraps collected from here and there, tickets, birthday cards, restaurant brochures, quotes, and so on. I think I have a dim recollection of seeing them used for filing, but it would be in a pretty dusty old office sort of place - old ledgers and such :P I agree though, they'd be good for preventing tears, but hard to make changes to - probably hard to flip through the documents as well, hence why most people tend to go with ringbinders instead (or just two-fold files, like hanging files).

As for the hybrids, it makes sense the generic name would be binders, the only reason I'm not using that is most people picture the ones with the metal hardware on the spin and the big metal rings. I dunno, maybe I need to stick with 'notebook/binder hybrids' :P

Doug C introduced these to me about a week ago. Doug got them form Jet Pens and they have both notebooks and refills. It's the Reporter, Top Ringed Pocket size about 3 x 5" . Highly FP accepting. Doug's tried them out with a ton of pens and different inks. I coerced SWMBO into sewing a couple of pieces of Vinyl material together to hold one. Slip the Plastic cover/Back into a slit in the inner piece of Vinyl are you're good to go. Not sure if they come in a bigger size. Go to jetpens. and search Lihit and they should come up. Usual disclaimers apply. Just an addicted user of Jet Pens, not affiliation otherwise. Jim

Oh yeah, I have all of them jim - got the larger size too, it's a B5! I thoroughly recommend that size - I used to snub it because it seemed awkward for someone who's used to A-sizes, but once I got to use it I liked it SO much more! It really seems like the best of both worlds, far more portable than the A4 (plus, easier to accomodate on those hideously tiny flaps attached to chairs in lecture halls lol) yet not nearly as cramped as A5 can get.

The best part about these is that the size, shape, and spacing of the holes is actually the same as on many twin-ring notebooks and notepads, so you can use the paper from those as refills for your Twist Rings - you just cut open the rings to liberate the paper without tearing, and insert them into the Twist Rings binding just like regular refills.

Something different than the Levenger Circa kind of binder? Do you have a link to a pic--I'm confused.

"Ravens play with lost time."

hi aquinata :) To go back to the ones I mentioned in the thread title or OP:

Lihit Lab Twist Rings (the notepad jimhughes mentioned, the B5 notebook I mentioned)

Kokuyo Smart Ring

You know the Levenger Circa - there are others using the same system of little plastic discs with paper punched with the weird little T-shaped openings. Example: Arc (by office supply chain Staples), which is manufactured for them by Rollabind, who also make similar notebooks for Martha Stewart Home Office (in martha-branded pale blue, natch). On my side of the atlantic, there is Atoma and Clairing by Clairefontaine.

That's for the ones in the type I'm trying to find a name for.

For the ones NOT in the type I'm looking to name, that I'm only mentioning to differentiate, it's basically all those that use this type of binder mechanism: rigid metal along the spine, fewer rings (anywhere from two to six, but not a ton of them all close together all the way along one side of the page like the ones above), and also the rings can be much bigger - big enough to hold several hundred sheets of paper, versus the kind I'm talking about that can hold no more than 100 sheets (usually a lot less, between 20 and 50). For example:

your regular binders used for school or office/filing, including a recent reincarnation I am told about altogether frequently of late, called Mead Flex.

old-school personal organizers, eg by Filofax or Daytimer.

clear as water? clear as mud?

OOOooo thank you for the links and the list!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

haha, no problem amber. d'you like this kind of thing too then?

haha, no problem amber. d'you like this kind of thing too then?

Oh yeah! I bought an ARC punch and we customized our billing sheets and case notes. I really like the system.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh yeah! I bought an ARC punch and we customized our billing sheets and case notes. I really like the system.

Yeah, these are cool! I tend to prefer the two Japanese ones though - the lihit lab, which I'm all kinds of excited about, and the Kokuyo to a lesser extent. My beef with the discbound systems is that it's much harder to remove or add big stacks of pages in one go - you can only do it two three pages at a time tops, and you have to arrange each hole one by one (unless there's a trick to it that I missed, lol). It's quite a faff :P With the japanese ones I can take out/put in as much as half the notebook at a time, and it's all in one go because they are rings like in a binder.

OTOH it's nice that there are so many ready-made accessories and inserts for the discbounds, especially covers which are harder to custom-make on your own unless you're of a crafty bent. That alone probably makes them the better choice if you're looking to get more than 2-3 people kitted out with the same system, as in an office.

Yeah, these are cool! I tend to prefer the two Japanese ones though - the lihit lab, which I'm all kinds of excited about, and the Kokuyo to a lesser extent. My beef with the discbound systems is that it's much harder to remove or add big stacks of pages in one go - you can only do it two three pages at a time tops, and you have to arrange each hole one by one (unless there's a trick to it that I missed, lol). It's quite a faff :P With the japanese ones I can take out/put in as much as half the notebook at a time, and it's all in one go because they are rings like in a binder.

OTOH it's nice that there are so many ready-made accessories and inserts for the discbounds, especially covers which are harder to custom-make on your own unless you're of a crafty bent. That alone probably makes them the better choice if you're looking to get more than 2-3 people kitted out with the same system, as in an office.

See, I never new!!!

Okay, so the consensus is these are called 'binders' just like the usual metal spine variety then?

amber, never knew what? *feeling a bit thick* lol :P

Okay, so the consensus is these are called 'binders' just like the usual metal spine variety then?

amber, never knew what? *feeling a bit thick* lol :P

There is a whole lot I never knew, and a lot I've forgotten if I ever knew, but now I know that the Japanese Disc systems are multipage removal friendly.

The problem pages with multiple holes for ring binders, or indentations for disk binders, is that it multiply the possible failure of one of more of them.

This make the page(s) unusable or forces one to run for the reinforcing circles or strips.

While this is probably not a problem if the pages are seldom moved like in a ink, daily, quote or poem journal...

It might turn out to become one, for school or other writing projects, which require moving pages in and out of binders quite often.

I used many multi rings binders in many sizes and this problem has led me to favor U.S 3 rings binders in letter and half letter size.

For smaller capacity and portability, I use 3 hole punched pocket folders which hold roughly the same number of page as the product described in the thread and can also hold page protectors.

I hold the pages with brads and washers, which can be found in brass in office stores, and in various colors, in the scrapbooking department.

I completely understand the fascination with office supply things. I did click the link and looked at the product numerous pictures after all. :)

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?