Twsbi Micarta 2 - What Is Your Favorite Ink Pairing?

harrietthespy

I am really enjoying the TWSBI Micarta 2 that I bought with a fine nib. I don't usually buy fine nibs but after having medium nibs in all my other TWSBI pens, I decided to shake things up a bit.

The first ink that went into this pen was Pelikan Brilliant Brown. I bought the ink to match the pen and I was really lucky to have found an ink that works perfectly with this pen.

When the Brilliant Brown ran out, I filled the pen with Edelstein Amber. Now the pen writes poorly. The ink just does not suit the pen and it is no longer a pleasure to use. If I wasn't traveling and way from my ink stash I would probably empty the pen and refill it with something else.

So, my question is...other than the Brilliant Brown that is absolutely fabulous in this pen...what other ink has worked for you? I really want to know!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JemC

• harrietthespy

• GHigley

• SirVival

I love using Diamine Ancient Copper and Oxblood in my Micarta 2, as I feel they match the colouring of the pen itself somewhat, and they are among my favourite colours anyway. The flow is superb with all Diamine inks, and very wet, especially as I'm using the Broad nib on it.

In mourning weeds, with tears in eyes:

Tallis is dead, and Music dies.

I love Diamine Macassar, but often use Ancient Copper also... I used to use Pelikan turquoise in it, until the section became dyed by it. Now I am sticking to inks in the same colour palette as the micarta material in a vain attempt to bring the staining back in line with the colour of the material.

The fact that the section has stained has actually increased my fondness for the pen.

PS love the sailing dog.

Edited by bobaroo

Inks I've had no problems with in my Micarta V2:

Diamine Ancient Copper, Oxblood, Red Dragon

Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses (maybe a tiny bit dry), Kiowa Pecan, Walnut

Private Reserve Sherwood Green

Waterman Havana Brown

Problematic inks:

Private Reserve Black Cherry - too dry

I love this pen

I love Diamine Macassar, but often use Ancient Copper also... I used to use Pelikan turquoise in it, until the section became dyed by it. Now I am sticking to inks in the same colour palette as the micarta material in a vain attempt to bring the staining back in line with the colour of the material.

The fact that the section has stained has actually increased my fondness for the pen.

PS love the sailing dog.

+1 on trying to stay in the color palette to avoid staining! I will try Diamine next and am very tempted by the Ancient Copper...

I have to comment on the sailing dog because I loved the story of your dog with the sock. As you know, Golden Retreivers are just goofy dogs and like to play the silliest games. They even make up their own rules and if you cheat, they give you "that look". I am sure you have seen it! Harriet is my 3rd Golden and she is very fond of swimming - hence the life vest. We have a canal boat in Amsterdam and she has a hard time staying in it...she wears the vest so we can pull her back into the boat if she jumps! Everytime we pass under one of the many bridges, people point her out and take photos. Your dog is beautiful!

I also tried Edelstein Amber with my fine nib and found the same results as the OP. In fact, I'm my fine nib writes extremely dry overall, and is not a pleasure to use. I contacted TWSBI and they are sending me a replacement medium nib. I hope the increase in size will help with the flow.

If you like brown....you really should must try Diamine Chocolate Brown and (not exactly brown but you know what I mean.... Diamine Oxblood.....

I am tempted by Ancient Copper too.....but from what I have read here....it is not the best behaved ink in all pens.... :(

I am tempted by Ancient Copper too.....but from what I have read here....it is not the best behaved ink in all pens.... :(

It's a gorgeous ink, but yes, very temperamental. My bottle has been highly prone to radioactive-test-subject nib creep in every pen it's been in.

If you don't mind wiping your nib off regularly, it's still worth it, IMO. I've filled the Micarta with it multiple times now.

Micarta 1 here, usually with Diamine Oxblood.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 1 year later...

I just received the discontinued TWSBI 805 Micarta Version 2 with the notebook from Rodger Bamford in New Zealand (penclassicsnz.com). I love it. The design, material, weight, size and especially the medium nib as tuned by Mr. Bamford. Its section is thicker than I typically like with smaller hands, but on this pen it works for me.

I didn't expect to like this pen as much as I do. It will be interesting to see how I feel over time, but for now I'm very pleased with it.

I have two Micarta v2 and love them both. Theres just something special about those pens. One of them is always inked and travels with me, that one i only keep Diamine Oxblood(My favorite ink). In the other its whatever i feel like at the moment. Now it has Rohrer and Klinger alt-goldgrun if i remember correctly.

I have a Micarta v2 that went through Waterman Havana, Diamine Ancient Copper and Oxblood, only to be permanently inked with J Herbin Cafe des Iles.

The shading it produces suggests a perfect match.

Hi,

I have a TWSBI micarta version 1 or 2?? What is the diferance? I have my pen filled whith Akkerman Hofvijver Grijs, writes very well.

Regards,

Martin

Let the ink flow freely

Doing the brownish thingie, used Ancient Copper and Chocolate from Diamine, currently running MB Toffee (seems to turn into my sweettooth pen).

Hi,

I have a TWSBI micarta version 1 or 2?? What is the diferance? I have my pen filled whith Akkerman Hofvijver Grijs, writes very well.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

The Version 2 came in a TWSBI notebook with a cutout that holds the pen in the left margin. It's said that they upgraded the inner cap for better seal and upgraded the Bock nib and possibly the feed. Version 2 also offered the option of a clip with the model 805.

I continue to really enjoy my Micarta. I'm surprised that they weren't more popular.

Glenn

Waterman Havana and Irsohizuku Tsukushi. Interesting - Diamine Oxblood's one of my favorite colors, so I need to give that a try.

bobaroo & harrietthespy, I think both your dogs are beautiful!!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!