How Do You Carry Your Fountain Pen?

GMYoussef

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to fountain pens (I only have 2), and I was wondering how you guys carry your pens. Personally, my wardrobe doesn't include many shirts with pockets so that's out of the question for me. I've been carrying my pens (one at a time) in my pants pocket for about 4 months now; I simply slide the pen in and clip it on the pocket (making sure the rest of the picket is empty so that it doesn't get scratched), but I've seen many people on here strongly discouraging this and say that one should only carry the pen in an inside jacket pocket or a shirt pocket. Well, like I said before, I don't have shirt pockets, and I'm a student so I don't have many occasions to where suit jackets or blazers, what ways to carry my pen does this leave me with? I've considered purchasing a leather slip, but even if I did where would I then place the slip? Perhaps anyone that's faced this dilemma before can help. Thanks!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GMYoussef

• marcelo

• bernardo

• OcalaFlGuy

They're your pens. Do as you wish. Life will teach you what's right and wrong for you. I hope it's not too expensive.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

All my shirts have pockets, so...I do carry back-up pens in my bag in a leather case-2, 3, 0r 4 pen. As a student, you probably carry a bag of some sort. Look into getting a case or wrap and keep your pens in there. Take a look at Jetpens, ISellPens, HisNIbs, Goulet Pens, for some ideas and good prices.Some folks use cigar tubes for pocket carry, and there are hard leather cases and tubes available as well. A lot of people just clip the pen to their t-shirt collar.

I have some very sturdy plastic pens and some metal ones I simply think of as "field" pens and will carry them in my trouser pocket. The scratches are just signs of character and love. I have a sleeve I use for some of the ones I carry like that. Clipping your pen to your trouser pocket could lead to a sprung clip (where it gets bent away from the cap) or result in the pen coming loose from cap in your pocket. That can get messy, or painful. Or both. I know of one person who has a cloth pen holder on a string for the neck.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Well, I rarely wear shirts without pockets. Even my T-shirts are mostly pocket Ts. Can't think of any reason for forgoing such a useful feature.

But I do have a couple of pens without clips. I have a dual leather pen case that could fit in a pants pocket, keeps them from getting tangled up, flipping sideways, or getting scratched. Rather than my pants pocket, I prefer to put that case inside my laptop case or a small leather portfolio that I sometimes carry.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Depends. If I'm not wearing a shirt with a pocket or sportcoat/suit I use one of two options. Either in a front pocket or clipped on the front of shirt (not a t-shirt). I know the second may sound strange and it is hard to describe. If the front shirt of the shirt has buttons (i.e. button up or "polo" style) I'll clip it on the area with buttons. That also depends on the thickness of the shirt and which pen it is. Don't want to screw up the clip on pens that have stiff clips.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

I would suggest some kind of a case, anything but putting them in front pants pocket. If the pen is plastic, it will eventually snap in two or get scratched or bent, etc.

I have a zippered, three-pen leather case that fits in a pocket of my bag. I also have a bulb-filler Kaweco Sport clipped to the pocket: filled with iron gall ink, that's my go-to pen.

You can also get belt holsters that fit one or two pens, that's another option.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sometimes I wear them in a shirt/suit pocket. But I usually carry them in a Montblanc 3-Pen Sienna case in my suit's breast pocket.

Edited by logantrky

Not that 'fountain penners' are prone to any kind of obssessiveness you understand, but this is what I take around on a daily basis:

http://www.peggysparlour.co.uk/pubpics/pouches-et-al.jpg

The carry pouch usually remains on my desk, but the A5 folder with 'Quiver' holder is taken to general informal meetings, and the A4 folder to more technical meetings.

(Not to mention a Pilot V-pen zipped into my fleece pocket - should anyone want to borrow a pen!). :unsure:

I would have thought a folder type option may be best as a student, or an A4 Quiver perhaps?

Have fun looking at all the alternatives!!

Cheers,

Eclectica.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

I do NOT put a full length FP in my pants pocket. The length of the pen invites it being broken in half or bent, and that could be quite messy. I would only put a full length FP in my pants pocket if it were in a HARD case.

When I wear a shirt w/o a pocket, I carry a Ohto Tasche pocket pen in my pant pocket. The Tasche is a compact FP that when closed is the same size as my wallet, so there is no stress on the pen. They also make a slightly larger pen called the Rook.

In college I used to keep the pens in by shirt pocket (in a pocket protector), and in my briefcase.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I keep them in my messenger bag. It has a little pocket for the mobile phone and that's excelletn for storing a few pens upright :)

2 Parker Frontiers, 1 Lamy Safari, 1 MB 146, 1 Pilot MR and new friends: M805 in blue and an M 420. Yay!

Current holy grail: Caran d'Ache Leman Bicolor in saffron or possibly white. Not yet sure.

I do NOT put a full length FP in my pants pocket. The length of the pen invites it being broken in half or bent, and that could be quite messy. I would only put a full length FP in my pants pocket if it were in a HARD case.

When I wear a shirt w/o a pocket, I carry a Ohto Tasche pocket pen in my pant pocket. The Tasche is a compact FP that when closed is the same size as my wallet, so there is no stress on the pen. They also make a slightly larger pen called the Rook.

In college I used to keep the pens in by shirt pocket (in a pocket protector), and in my briefcase.

Interesting that a couple of you have said the pens may snap in half, I never thought of that as being an issue. My pockets are fairly large and I seem to have room enough when im sitting for my pen not to be strained. I suppose accidents do happen though, even more reason for me to look into an alternative.

Not that 'fountain penners' are prone to any kind of obssessiveness you understand, but this is what I take around on a daily basis:

http://www.peggysparlour.co.uk/pubpics/pouches-et-al.jpg

The carry pouch usually remains on my desk, but the A5 folder with 'Quiver' holder is taken to general informal meetings, and the A4 folder to more technical meetings.

(Not to mention a Pilot V-pen zipped into my fleece pocket - should anyone want to borrow a pen!). :unsure:

I would have thought a folder type option may be best as a student, or an A4 Quiver perhaps?

Have fun looking at all the alternatives!!

Cheers,

Eclectica.

Wow, that's a nice system you have there! The A4 quiver is really appealing to me, and I checked the product online and it's more affordable than a standard leather slip and solves the where do I put it problem. I'm thinking of getting one with a Rhodia journal to solve my problem.

Wow, that's a nice system you have there! The A4 quiver is really appealing to me, and I checked the product online and it's more affordable than a standard leather slip and solves the where do I put it problem. I'm thinking of getting one with a Rhodia journal to solve my problem.

Hi, that system appeals to me too. I can't find it anywhere for sale though, if you find a shop where they sell it, would you mind linking it here or sending it to me in a private message? Thanks :)

If it's not in my shirt pocket, its in a case in my bag. Never in the pants pocket for me out of fear of damage.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Hi, that system appeals to me too. I can't find it anywhere for sale though, if you find a shop where they sell it, would you mind linking it here or sending it to me in a private message? Thanks :)

They're made by a company called quiver! Here's the page for the two pen quiver http://www.quiverglobal.com/double-pen-quiver-for-large-notebooks/

on their website they even have a section listing all the retailers that sell their products. Hope that helps!

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to fountain pens (I only have 2), and I was wondering how you guys carry your pens. Personally, my wardrobe doesn't include many shirts with pockets so that's out of the question for me. I've been carrying my pens (one at a time) in my pants pocket for about 4 months now; I simply slide the pen in and clip it on the pocket (making sure the rest of the picket is empty so that it doesn't get scratched), but I've seen many people on here strongly discouraging this and say that one should only carry the pen in an inside jacket pocket or a shirt pocket. Well, like I said before, I don't have shirt pockets, and I'm a student so I don't have many occasions to where suit jackets or blazers, what ways to carry my pen does this leave me with? I've considered purchasing a leather slip, but even if I did where would I then place the slip? Perhaps anyone that's faced this dilemma before can help. Thanks!

I started using a leather pouch to protect my pens when I was a student, not because I didn't have many shirts or jackets with pockets, but because I thought they were a little heavy and/or delicate to be carried that way. I still carry my pens in a pouch or two.

I use a pen roll, which I keep in my handbag. If I'm using one of my cloth handbags, I use a leather pen roll; otherwise I usually use a fabric one.

My note taking pens, for when I'm on the move, are a Lamy 2000 and a Matte black VP. These I carry in my pants pockets, usually alongside my cellphone. I see no discernible marks on the Lamy after a couple of years in my pockets (Makrolon is magical!). The VP is brassing, I really like the look, it has more character now. Any impact that would snap my pocket pens would likely take my femur with it so I try not to think about it!.

I also travel with a Pelikan M30 and 400NN, these are kept in a 2-pen leather case in my laptop bag and used once I'm in a hotel or at my desk.

I have stay at home pens that don't leave the house.

Horses for courses as we say..

As a student in college, I carry around a bookbag.

It has a compartment in the front where it has slots for pens/pencils, so I put my pen (cheaper ones like Pilot preppy) in them.

The nice ones go into the inner compartment where they stay snug and safe in a fabric pen roll.

Or if you are just carrying one notebook around, clip it on that.

Regards,

Hikari

In the winter I always have a pocket.

In the summer I most often wear a t-shirt. The pen works well clipped to my collar.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!