Writing Slope

archi77

Quick question... does anyone advocate using a writing slope anymore? Is it practical? I found someone that sells restored antique writing slopes, for what "seems" a decent price (to me anyways, but I'm not an expert...) but just curious if it's worth it?? It's not chump change, so I don't want to spend the money only to find out nobody uses them anymore...?

(Also - side question - is there a search function within these forums? I spent 5 minutes looking for one, but my lunch hour is almost over, so couldn't wait any longer... sorry if this question is a repeat topic or something!)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• DrCodfish

• ruben50

• archi77

I'm looking at getting one also. I've been in contact with someone in England and the reason I want it is because I don't have a sloped desk. Most of the handwriting improvement blogs and videos I've seen recommend the use of one to help out. I have also been trying to write from my shoulder instead of with my hand and have found that a sloped surface helps with that. Since I don't have an office per say in my house and have to move around, the writing slope would be perfect for me.

I'm pretty sure that most if not all the calligraphers that are members of this site use some kind of sloped surface for their writing.

Rube

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
-George Carlin
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.pngfpn_1327044342__postcard_pic_exchange.jp

Most antiques are "lap desks" that are rectangular boxes cut on the slant. They open up to make a sloping writing surface and have room for writing supplies under the hinged writing surfaces. They were used primarily by travellers for writing letters on trains and coaches.

A "writing slope" is a slanted writing surface that is meant to sit on a desk or table. It is usually much larger than the lap desk and will let you rest your forearm on it (if that is the way you write). Many have adjustable tilt angles. Not all of them have the box below the writing surface to store supplies. If you are interested in calligraphy, the slope can help you keep proper posture without fatigue. Most lap desks will be too small for this.

I have both the desk and the slope. I would say the slope is more useful if you don't want to travel with it. I use the lap desk for historical reenactments.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I have a number of slopes... I got one, looked for how to fix it, found Michael's thread and fell down the rabbit hole that is FPN... ;)

I agree that you can't rest your arm on the smaller ones, although I'm not sure they don't still help a bit with the actual writing (as well as making you feel like some real historical bad-@ss, especially if they have the hidden compartments) but I have one that is about 18 inches wide and I think that would do it for arm resting. You have to get information on the dimensions, if you are buying them online, and go from there.

This sort of writing box/slope/lap desk has one set angle. If you look at Medieval illustrations you see much more acute angles. If you want adjust-ability and you want the thing primarily to help you write well there was one someone mentioned probably in that long thread that is new and is primarily the surface and can be adjusted more finely to suit you if you need that.

For me they are like popcorn - I can't seem to stop grabbing them. But then, I always wanted one, from when I was a child. And how can you argue with the sort of thing that Ben Franklin, Jane Austen and Dumbledore have in common???

T

Thanks Dr Codfish

I do have a number of writing slopes which I have bought and restored mainly for my own collection but I have restored them for others.

There are many different types of writing slopes out there I am always happy to help members to obtain writing slopes and help them to restore them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/10072464674_1679273524_z.jpg

IMG_5111_1 by my0771, on Flickr

This is my current project and it is a challenge

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/9971687416_c8923b52f7_z.jpg

IMG_5065_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have lost count of the number of hours I have spent on this one but I want it to be as good as I can get it.

They are not as expensive as people may think it really depends on what you want.

Michael

So, ... if no one else uses one then you don't want one, but if everyone else does, you do?

Look here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/224142-writing-slope-dilema/

But beware, it wil ltake you more than a few lunch hours to absord the beauty.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

There are some real beautiful ones out there. Some have all the original parts which don't mean ink bottles.

If so, then 100%.

Spend some weeks researching...... then look in on line auction houses, or English Ebay.

The first one I saw in real life in an auction wasn't quite perfect....but it sure was a lot more perfect than the next two I saw.

I though was spoiled...there is some one on this com that has one or two totally perfect writing slopes, with all the little gadgets that belong inside...the felt and leather in pristine shape....that is what I want. It will not be cheap.

First I need to buy a bigger desk. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

I too am curious to the original question, as to the value of using a slope to improve your hand writing.

I did find this http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Writing-Slope-Slant-Board/dp/B0002XUXES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389448453&sr=8-2&keywords=writing+slope

on Amazon. I know it's not much to look at, but personally I'm more into functionality rather than collecting for aesthetic reasons.

I certainly would be interested in hearing from someone who uses a slope and if it did indeed help your penmanship, and in what ways? Did it help in arm movement, descending and ascending strokes, fatigue, etc.?

Thank you

Yes, it has greatly improved my hand writing. I have never had even passably OK penmanship. Upon seeing my signature, people often asked if I was a doctor. Other times it was just called 'chicken scratch' . Last year, for the first time in my 43 years my penmanship was called "normal" after a very short time using my slope and Spencer's penmanship course. More recently, I have even heard the adjectives "nice" and "beautiful" used to describe my handwriting! No joke, this is shocking to me.

Sorry, but I can't really answer you specific points. My penmanship was so terrible to start with that just about every aspect required improvement, and has.

I love my slopes. I have two, but only really use one. I had them both made for me by Dan and Deb McBride of The Writing Slope. They make them unfinished or finished. My poplar slope was the first they'd made, I finished it to look old and distressed. Price isn't inexpensive, but considering the workmanship, my slopes will be the next generation's antique finds. Deb and Dan also make lap desks. My slopes and boxes can be seen in the FPN photography forum here Show Your Treasure Boxes.

I check the 'bay all the time. Sometimes there are good deals to be had, if you are willing to put some time in on them for the shape they are in. I'm not very repair handy these days, my hands hurt too much, so having one made for me was the best route for me. There can also be some nice slopes found in good shape, but price and shipping are the stops for me, and my two slopes are plenty for now (my discretionary income is about nil at this time).

My writing has disintegrated in the last couple of years, but not because of slopes or no slopes, or fountain or non fountain pens, but because of medical reasons. My hands shake a bit now. Writing with a slope and fountain pen is simply more comfortable for me if I'm not using my writing desk which has a sloped surface.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I also watch ebay and usually have 3 or 4 in my watch list, In the past i would only be able to afford the wrecks so I learnt how to restore them.

Yesterday I managed to pick up an early brass inlaid slope for a very small sum at a local market.

I would be happy to help anyone who wants to have a go at buying one from the UK or who would like to have a go at restoring one.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63