Ballpoint refills

avraham

Another note on the G2 and Precise V refills: They're acid free and safe for archiving. pH levels above 7.0

Edited by macgee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregoron

• macgee

• MYU

• Betty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find that the Pilot G2 does very well for long term writing. To me it's almost the perfect refill, for price/performance ratio. Also, I had a blister pack of 2 G2 refills that sat for 3 years, but despite all the time wrote perfectly when inserted into a pen.

If anybody else has some long term experience with "gel" type refills, please post about it here.

Pentel Energel and Uni-Ball Signo are my go-to gel ink pens, the refills are interchangeable as far as I can remember. Signo ink is water- and fadeproof. I never got on with the Pilot G2s, the ink always blobbed on me, and don't get me started on the looks of the actual pen.

For the Parker-style refill (a G2, confusingly enough) I like the Schneider Express ink.

Thanks for the advice, macgee and Jules. I've heard of the Signo (#207) but have yet to try it--definitely will pick up a pack soon. I'll also keep an eye out for the Precise V.

Yeah, I don't much care for the look of the Pilot G2 pens. But I seem to have been fortunate and not run into any blobbing issues with the refills.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thanks for the advice, macgee and Jules. I've heard of the Signo (#207) but have yet to try it--definitely will pick up a pack soon. I'll also keep an eye out for the Precise V.

Yeah, I don't much care for the look of the Pilot G2 pens. But I seem to have been fortunate and not run into any blobbing issues with the refills.

I totally agree with using the ugly G2 pens but the G2/Precise refills work very well and fit solid in my Dunhill and Aurora pens. The G2 pens de-value the tips performance as there is too much play in the pen, I would just take out the cartage and put in my good pen. I too have not had problems with blobbing especially with the Precise v5.

I know this all sounds sacrileges & lowbrow talking about using these refills but I have yet to find a higher end, better quality 4 1/2" refill that I like better except for the Cross Gel but it's .7mm and not available in .5mm

Cheers

I've been having pretty good luck with the Parker Quinkflow bp refills, Parker's latest iteration of the Jotter refill.*

(*Purchasing alert: Make sure the refill is actually labeled "Quinkflow", as the earlier versions are still being sold as well).

I've had long experience with Parker bp & rollerball refills over the years (40+ and counting), and I've found the current Quinkflow bp refills to be the best all-around. I was an early adopter of the Parker rollerball (I had one of the early Systemarks), and used one for many years- finding it to be a great non-fountain pen option. My gripe with the rollerball, however, was the cost of the refills and the longevity before the pen started to skip and blop. Eventually, I pretty much retired my rollerballs.

When I "discovered" the Parker gel bp refill, I thought I found the right non-fp option; it seemed to solve the skip and blop issues I had with the rollerball. I still think they're a nice pen refill. However, I think the Quinkflow bp refills do it one better.

Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Schmidt does an ok job. Other than that I think you can get a Fisher refill in to most pens that take a Parker cartridge with an adapter kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss something, or am I the only one who cares less about what name is on the refill than what ink goes

into it? (See Cult Pens discussion about hybrid ink). This long-time ballpoint user uses it exclusively. My

preference is a Parker Quink medium - their other widths use conventional ink (I don't know why, but there

aren't enough hours in the day to analyze Parker methodologies). Schmidt also has hybrid models. And for those

of you who have never tried a Beaufort gel refill, may I suggest that you do.

I now use the Parker Gel refill in one of my ballpoints.

This refill has had a lot of bad reviews on Amazon etc, but also some very positive reviews.

I bought one to try it out for myself and found it to be very nice with no skipping or blotting , nice ink flow and it is truly blue.