Ink Dragon Comes To Life

NoodlersFan

Hi All,

Ok, so this is a DSLR video, not a photo, but I hope you will enjoy it, especially if you are a fan of Noodler's Dragon's Napalm.

This was shot with a Canon 5D Mark ii, with a rented EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens. I wanted to keep ISO low, but at f 2.8 it was a real challenge to pull focus on that moving ink drop! I guess you can never have enough light for video :) Still, I LOVE that lens! For those Canon users who have never tried it, I highly recommend renting / borrowing one if possible to experiment for a day. You could make some really beautiful pen / ink images with this lens, which has a lovely bokeh. For an example, see the lovely shot of the fuyu-gaki ink bottle on the Peninkcillin blog, here:

peninkcillin.blogspot.ca/2013/10/pilot-iroshizuku-fuyu-gaki-winter.html

As far as my video goes, I hope ink purists won't mind that I've added some unusual super powers to the ink for dramatic effect!

...continuing from the original post in the Noodler's Dragon's Napalm ink review thread.....

...I'm glad that the little ink dragon is proving to be amusing and intriguing! As far as how I brought it to life, I'm not opposed to sharing the secrets, but also enjoy that people are trying to figure it out for themselves :) I can tell you that it is all live action, with no animation or computer graphics. In fairness to both Segel and Cyber6, perhaps I should start with a cryptic response and say that half of Segel's theory is close to being right, and not divulge the secrets right away :)

I certainly hope that Nathan would enjoy the clip, but I'm not sure. On one hand, from the interviews I've heard, he's comitted to creating inks with very particular qualities and properties, so I hope the fact that I've altered these qualities in attempting to bring Dragon's Napalm to life would not cause offence. I've also heard him advocate for the fountain pen as the very best practical writing instrument, whereas I've tried to build an aura of mystery around the pen and ink in this clip.

On the other hand, speaking from personal experience as a new fountain pen and ink fan, it's the extraordinary that drew me into becoming interested in fountain pens and ink in the first place. It was only after I'd become fascinated by inks with amazing colours and names like Dragon's Napalm that I realized that a fountain pen can also be a practical, reliable and satisfying everyday writing instrument, if that's what you want it to be. The extraordinary colours, amazing names and fantastical label artwork of Noodler's products make me think that Noodler's appreciates that fountain pens and inks can be practical and extraordinary at once, which is part of their unique appeal. I hope I've captured some of this spirit in the video.

Guesses about how the ink dragon came to life are welcome :)

Noodler's Fan,

After three viewings I remain mystified about your special effect techniques deployed in this remarkable video. Would you be willing to share the secret of your magic? How did you get the ink to scramble about without leaving a trail (wax paper remains my only plausible guess)? And how did you get the ink blob to raise its fur and sort of hiss like a cornered cat (it looks like liquid metal lifted with a magnet)? Anyway, I admire your technique, the fit of sound to movement and the crispness of the narrative. Nathan of Noodler's Inks should send you free bottles in the hope that your creativity will continue.

Forget about sharing your secrets... I love a good magic trick.... :cloud9:

I just hope Nathan sees this.. (can someone forward him a link.. please) and hires you to make more of these videos for other inks.. I LOVE your creativity and technical knowledge... Is totally AWESOME!!!!! :thumbup:

C.

Thanks for the interesting review. I like this ink for it's almost flourescent brightness, though it is hard to read for long passages.

Noodles Fan, your awesome vid best expresses my feelings about this potent brew... use it with careful intent.
Like its cousin BSB, it bites back!

-- MJ

Edited by NoodlersFan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoodlersFan

• Pterodactylus

• kiavonne

• persco

This is such a cool clip! I really like it!

I, too, am a Noodler's fan, I use Noodler's exclusively.

I tried to comment on youtube, but google made of mess of my login.

Great job!

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Love this! I especially liked the fact that there were, er, sound effects: "But of *course* that's the sound that a drop of ink makes when it wants to grow up to be a dragon!" Foley departments at movie studios everywhere are now having their very own V-8 moments.... B)

There was a video contest that Nathan announced awhile back -- is this your entry for it? I don't remember when the deadline was.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks so much for watching, and glad you enjoyed the clip :)

kiavonne, great to hear the clip struck a chord with a fellow Noodler's fan. Any ink recommendations? Besides Dragon's Napalm, I also have The Bluenose Bear (as a Canadian and sometimes east-coaster, I liked the name, and also really like the colour) and, because there was so much buzz, I had to try some Baystate Blue, which I also really enjoy for being so bold.

inkstainedruth, thanks for the props on the sound design. I used the sounds of four different animals to create the voice of the little dragon. Yup, I did indeed enter the clip in the contest :) However, I haven't seen any updates on the Noodler's website for months, so I'm not sure whether it's still on, and whether my clip is in the running.

Ink recommendations? Well, hmmm.

I prefer to use bulletproofs and near-bulletproofs, though I've thrown a few standards in for the fun and experience of it all.

I like FPN's own Galileo Manuscript Brown. I like the look on ivory and ecru papers. It could have a tiny touch more brown, but it is a really cool ink.

I like the inks that speak to our history and our right to freedoms - for us or others, even if sometimes the ideas are not necessarily my own. I like 54th Massachusetts, #41 Brown, Liberty's Elysium (Goulet Pens exclusive), Legal Lapis (Pendemonium exclusive), Baystate Blue, Lexington Gray, Violet Vote (Pendemonium exclusive).

I love Heart of Darkness. Such a deep, and well-behaved, black.

I like La Reine Mauve - the ink designed by Nathan at the request of the FPN members in the forums. It's a saturated purple, not chalky, and bulletproof. I call it the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink ink, because Nathan had to put a lot into it to meet all the requests. It isn't the best behaved ink (tends to dry to quickly in my preferred nibs), but it is fun to use and I keep it around.

I love the near-bulletproofs Aircorp Blue-Black (it seems to have a green tinge, but it's actually like a turquoise blue), Red Black (my first Noodler's), and Blue Black. Walnut is good, too, but sometimes it feels a little too black for me. I still like it, though.

I really want to love Hunter's Green. I like the color. But, every time I try to write with it - or any green ink - it literally makes me ill to look at it on the page. Only when I write with it, I don't mind seeing it otherwise. Yes, totally weird.

I use Fox Red for the eternal/bulletproof quality, but it is slightly more orange than my favorite red, Nikita, which is a standard ink. It's a gorgeous real red, though.

Fun inks, just for the color, and just because, Navajo Turquoise, Apache Sunset, Habanero, Socrates, Black Swan in Australian Roses, and I use Black and Bluerase inks just because I can. :)

I like Polar Brown, haven't opened my Blue Nose Bear yet (I will soon, promise).

Um... I gave almost the whole list of Noodler's, huh?

...kiavonne, great to hear the clip struck a chord with a fellow Noodler's fan. Any ink recommendations? Besides Dragon's Napalm, I also have The Bluenose Bear (as a Canadian and sometimes east-coaster, I liked the name, and also really like the colour) and, because there was so much buzz, I had to try some Baystate Blue, which I also really enjoy for being so bold...

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

The 'spiky' ink definitely looks like it has small metal particles in it. The ink that drops down on the notebook is another blob of ink, since otherwise there would be metal bits everywhere. I suppose you 'drew' the dragon with some other liquid/water to get the nice image of the dragon.

I have no idea how you did the ink 'escaping' in the beginning of the video. Maybe stop motion.

persco - thanks for watching and for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it!

kiavonne - thanks so much for these suggestions. I feel another ink purchase coming on, and I've been eyeing Heart of Darkness for a while now. I expect I'll be getting a few samples as well!

maksim - I'm not a career videographer, I just enjoy photography / videography and fountain pens and ink, and this video was a great way to combine these interests. I actually work in the science centre field.

Obyekt - good eye there was defintely some iron involved. Yes, there were different versions of the ink drop depending on what I wanted it to do. The image of the dragon was produced with a similar technique to how I made the ink drop move like mercury without leaving a trail. A few people have guessed wax paper, but that wasn't it. The ink escaping was all live action - no stop motion :) I'll take that as a compliment to my slight of hand :)

Thanks for watching all! :D

Edited by NoodlersFan

Ok...so having shown a wild side of Noodler's Dragon's Napalm ink in the video, I feel I should also show how well behaved it can be :)

Here's a macro shot I took of a Noodler's Ahab laying down some Dragon's Napalm on Seth Cole paper. Crisp!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/11044934776_b428089cb8_b.jpg

Great Video, I love it, I don´t know how you made it, but it looks quite professional. :)

May I add the Diamine colleague of Dragons Napalm?

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/7333/fxyp.jpg

(Waterman 12 1/2 BCHR Diamine Red Dragon)

Edited by Pterodactylus

Awesome - what a character! Great texture in the body. I didn't realize Diamine makes a "dragon" ink as well. Love that you've included the pen in the picture as well. Does that have a gold flex nib? Clearly the dragon is a fan! Thanks for sharing this, Pterodactylus.

If anyone has any more dragon pen and ink pics please post!

May I add the Diamine colleague of Dragons Napalm?

http://imageshack.us/a/img209/6733/m3i3.jpg

(Waterman 12 1/2 BCHR ..... Sailor Jentle Sky High)

http://imageshack.com/a/img841/7007/8jkr.jpg

(Noodler´s Ahab EMF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Salix)

(Faber Castell PITT)

Edited by Pterodactylus

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, not a dragon but a relative....

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/7873/yr28.jpg

(Noodler´s Ahab EMF - Rohrer & Klingner Salix)

(Faber Castell PITT)

Wow - awesome 3d effect with this dragon cousin. Love the green paired with the dark blue and white of the Ahab. It gives the impression of a lizard basking by a pool of water reflecting the sky. Fantastic!

• 1 month later...

And my newest one:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/571/8l7p.jpg

(Staedler Retro 0.5 - 3H)
(Serwex MB - flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black)
(Pegasus 2/0 Red Sable)
(Montblanc 344 - OB ..... Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus)
(Parker 45 Flighter - F ..... Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz)
(Pelikan 140 - OF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Blu Mare)
(Pelikan 400 - OM ..... Rohrer & Klingner Solferino)

• 2 weeks later...