Broken Carene Nib Grip Section

Crowley74

Hi,

First time poster and I am in need of help and experience. Unfortunately my Waterman Carene Fountain Pen has suffered the same fate as Balenemate's pen. His link is here from June 13.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/247665-broken-carene-nib/

I've added pictures below:

post-108458-0-24252400-1384687699_thumb.jpg

post-108458-0-76444900-1384687713_thumb.jpg

The crack is around the entire circumference of the Pen grip. I believe that the Fountain Pen lid itself is defective and must have some how damaged the pen :(

Anyone with experience of this problem?

Will Waterman replace the entire pen under warrant? Rather than attempt a repair?

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• Snargle

• pajaro

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Balenemate did not report back with the outcome. I (we) can only assume Waterman considered it physical damage.

In my 2 or 3 years here, that is the only one I have experienced on the forum.

I have handled sections, new and old, with much force to remove brassware and nibs without a problem.

Did the cap clip on firmly before the break. What makes you believe it is at fault.

Just curious but is the break 7mm from the gold ring.

If it did go back to NRW IMHO they would only replace the section....but if you tick yes to the Sentimental Value box, they will remove the nib and just return the rest which I would be most interested in....because,

What is very spooky, is that only just this hour I have listed a WTB in the Classifieds for a damaged U/S Carene section for parts.

Edited by Force

I've never seen this kind of damage & I've used a pretty sizable collection under extreme conditions. Contact the company & see if they'll replace the section.

yes, they replaced nib. very fast and with no extra questions.

they asked to send them not the nib, but all pen, though.

I did not wanted to do so, because defective nib was bought separately, but everything turned out fine.

marius

Well, Balenemate did not report back with the outcome. I (we) can only assume Waterman considered it physical damage.

• 11 months later...

Dredging up an old post here, but I just had a similar problem with my Waterman Carene. However, in my case, I know exactly how it happened. My pen rolled off a table onto a hardwood floor (a drop of about three feet) and landed on its side. I saw that the nib wasn't damaged, so I just recapped it and put it away. A couple of days later, I pulled off the cap and noticed that the section was completely broken, right at the same point as the above photo. The break point is at the end of the internal threaded brass piece that holds the section and body together.

I've been in touch with the Waterman service center in Janesville, WI and am mailing the pen back to them this afternoon. It's probably a simple repair for them (just replacing the section), but since it was entirely my fault, I'm sure it will cost me for the repair. The pen has a sentimental attachment since it was a gift from my wife and my first "nice" pen, so I'm willing to accept the cost.

Larry

Dredging up an old post here, but I just had a similar problem with my Waterman Carene. However, in my case, I know exactly how it happened. My pen rolled off a table onto a hardwood floor (a drop of about three feet) and landed on its side. I saw that the nib wasn't damaged, so I just recapped it and put it away. A couple of days later, I pulled off the cap and noticed that the section was completely broken, right at the same point as the above photo. The break point is at the end of the internal threaded brass piece that holds the section and body together.

I've been in touch with the Waterman service center in Janesville, WI and am mailing the pen back to them this afternoon. It's probably a simple repair for them (just replacing the section), but since it was entirely my fault, I'm sure it will cost me for the repair. The pen has a sentimental attachment since it was a gift from my wife and my first "nice" pen, so I'm willing to accept the cost.

It would have been MUCH cheaper for you to have bought another section online.

You are precisely correct as to where and why they break...top left.

fpn_1415904764__dscn0649.jpg

PS Waterman will probably rip the nib out, bung the rest into file 13 and sell you a new complete section at a high price....I could be wrong.

Pity you are over the pond otherwise I would have purchased the parts from you.

Edited by Force

It would have been MUCH cheaper for you to have bought another section online.

You are precisely correct as to where and why they break...top left.

fpn_1415904764__dscn0649.jpg

PS Waterman will probably rip the nib out, bung the rest into file 13 and sell you a new complete section at a high price....I could be wrong.

Force, what's your source online that's cheaper? All the Carene sections I have found online cost more than buying one from nibs.com ($129 + shipping). Back a while I bought a fine and extra fine to use in lieu of the broad (L) and medium that came with Carenes.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hi pajaro,

In the UK, this company is the cheapest but I notice since last looking they have increased by £10. Considering what is involved, you could not make one for £77.

That is if you cannot wait, otherwise monitor ebay for a cheap deal.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the fine folks at Newell-Rubbermaid are nice to me. :unsure:

Edited by Snargle

Larry

Hi pajaro,

In the UK, this company is the cheapest but I notice since last looking they have increased by £10. Considering what is involved, you could not make one for £77.

That is if you cannot wait, otherwise monitor ebay for a cheap deal.

Thanks. I bookmarked that site. They give prices in dollars.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pleased to report that my Waterman Carene was returned today, completely repaired, good as new, and all at no charge! It was written-up as a defective section and replaced under their guarantee. Kudos to Newell-Rubbermaid!

Larry

Given that not everyone in the world reports their problems with Carenes to us (baffling!), and we've three reports in about 18 months, this is probably something the Waterman service department has on their "known issue" list, sort of like the occasional separation at a similar point on Lamy 2000s of a certain age. That Ghost Plane has avoided it suggests that it's not a frequent problem, though, so kudos indeed for not giving you a shake-down over the matter.

One wonders if there was a specific mold number on each of those failures....

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I was surprised to see that my pen actually was sent to Waterman in France for the repair. I mailed it to the Janesville, WI Service Center, but they must have felt there was a reason for the mother company to take a look at it. You may be right, Ernst...maybe it was a known issue with a certain production run.

Larry

Since a few years all repairs are done in France, and I have read reports that Waterman is transferring the repair facilities to Poland.

Probably the same goes for Parker.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I wonder where the next step is? Sverdlovsk? Beijing? American Samoa?