Ebay Success Stories? Andrew Carnegie 888 Sealed Under $4000!

voukephalas

eBay still has deals once in a while.

I was bidding but miscalculated the time and missed out on increasing my bid by one minute (arrived home too late!).

Maybe someone at FPN snagged this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261322266321?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I can hardly believe the incredible price for a sealed Carnegie, but it would be worth the price even if it were double. Not sure about the seller so perhaps that scared off potential bids.

I've been looking for one for a while but the going rate seems to be about $8000.00 for a complete set in pristine condition (not sealed) and I always find other ways to spend money.

Actually, a few years ago I saw a sealed Carnegie at retail (about $10,000) with a number in the low single digits (believe it was 6/888) but passed at the time since I had just bought the Charlie Chaplin.

It's not often that the limited editions make it to eBay with no reserve, so I wonder if anyone at FPN has managed to get a good eBay deal too.

Edited by voukephalas

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• voukephalas

• adelaidepen

• Penne Stilografiche

• sherbie

A nice pen however I could never imagine spending that sort of money on fountain pen. I enjoy using fountain pens as much as next person however even once I start earning any thing more than about £250-£300 would seem at bit of a waste of money. As I can never see myself being in the position where over $1000 of my money is so liquid that I can spend freely on a hobby with out too many reservation. For me writing experience is key and except from the design being pleasant I'm not too fussed about the precious materials used.

However what ever makes you happy!

eBay still has deals once in a while.

I was bidding but miscalculated the time and missed out on increasing my bid by one minute (arrived home too late!).

Maybe someone at FPN snagged this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261322266321?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I can hardly believe the incredible price for a sealed Carnegie, but it would be worth the price even if it were double. Not sure about the seller so perhaps that scared off potential bids.

I've been looking for one for a while but the going rate seems to be about $8000.00 for a complete set in pristine condition (not sealed) and I always find other ways to spend money.

Actually, a few years ago I saw a sealed Carnegie at retail (about $10,000) with a number in the low single digits (believe it was 6/888) but passed at the time since I had just bought the Charlie Chaplin.

It's not often that the limited editions make it to eBay with no reserve, so I wonder if anyone at FPN has managed to get a good eBay deal too.

Check this one out, an 88 edition Qing Dynasty FP, retail is approx. $30,000.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

unless you are going to open it, how does one actually know if the correct pen is actually, physically, in that box?

it cost 1p to shrink wrap an empty box!

to spend $4 large on a empty cardboard box is a sure way to the poor house

braver (wo)man than I, thats for sure!

Edited by sherbie

As for me, it may not be as good bargain as Carnegie 888 for $4000 but I managed to get Pope 888 for $5000 2-3 years back.

not cheap but whatever pleases the buyer

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

unless you are going to open it, how does one actually know if the correct pen is actually, physically, in that box?

I would actually open the box (probably at an MB boutique to confirm authenticity), but would prefer a sealed item to minimize the risk of something being sold "as new" but which is actually in worse condition.

It's happened to me before on eBay more than once, but I would not risk it on such an expensive item.

Still regret not bidding in time.../

Edited by voukephalas

• 2 weeks later...

I have a $4-6K "e-bay guide" for the POAs 888 depending on year. My record was $3500 plus fees for a mint but unsealed Charlemagne at auction with box and $4K on flea-bay for a 888 used gold Morgan but still in beautiful condition. I paid more than $4K for my Carnegie 888 but not by much.......

Bonham's auctions give you the best buys with minimal risk due to the pens' guaranteed history IMHO.

Montblanc POA Series

I have a $4-6K "e-bay guide" for the POAs 888 depending on year. My record was $3500 plus fees for a mint but unsealed Charlemagne at auction with box and $4K on flea-bay for a 888 used gold Morgan but still in beautiful condition. I paid more than $4K for my Carnegie 888 but not by much.......

Bonham's auctions give you the best buys with minimal risk due to the pens' guaranteed history IMHO.

I just saw a sealed Dragon 888 pen go for about $6500. This one is absolutely on my list but I would like the Carnegie first.

Not sure if anyone has the 888 and the 4810 and could compare the weight/feel/care. I much prefer the 888 but sealed 4810s seem available.

How often does Bonham's do pen auctions? I am on their email list but have not heard anything in a long time about pen auctions.

Also, the prices seem higher than eBay, probably due to the guaranteed history.

The Carnegie 888 is one of the most beautiful POAs in my opinion. It is slightly heavier then the 4810 but not by much. Mine writes beautifully.

Bonhams sales are usually once each year (December from memory) but if a special collection comes up, then they can have others. Also - a lot of pens get passed in so they carry them over to the next sale. If you've registered for the auction, you can try and put in an offer for passed in pens. If you look at Bonham's prices, if there are two of the same pen, often one will go for significantly less than the other. All depends on who's bidding and how much they want the "first" pen.

My Charlemagne was cheaper at Bonham's than I've ever seen on e-bay. I would say most 888's on e-bay are grossly overpriced and looking for the opportune buyer who just has to buy one right now. Then the pens that have been sold to pawn-brokers or dealers for a rediculously low amount. These sellers just want to sell the pen for some sort of pofit and if it reaches more than the $3500 or so that they paid - then they're happy. These are the pens I lie in wait for - but unfortunately they don't come up too often :-( and even then, many have "warning" signs on them. Occassionally- you hit the jackpot - that's what makes it such fun.....

Montblanc POA Series

I agree completely. Bonham's is a safer route than ebay as they protect their name with far better due diligence. And again you are right, you can great deals on ebay on MB but there is always increased risk. To top it off you always have greater depth on ebay that drives up prices and let's face it there is still a lot of shill bidding.

Well - this one would be cheaper than mine was. Looks bona-fide to me but please don't anyone take my opinion alone as making their decision to buy it. Check the serial number isn't seen on previously sold pens on e-bay.

Montblanc POA Series

Good luck! The Charlie Chaplin /888 is probably my personal favourite of all the ones I've seen, but your history of bidding and near misses on eBay got my heart thumping for sure. I'd be so scared of getting taken for a ride.

Sorry you missed that one, best of luck on the next one and I for one really enjoyed reading it, since I'm not likely to be in a position to do more than live vicariously though the purchases and pics on the forum for the foreseeable future ;-)

(then again, I say that, but if I saved my pen money for a year, I'd be looking at about the budget range you're talking about, so who knows) . ;-)

Good luck! The Charlie Chaplin /888 is probably my personal favourite of all the ones I've seen, but your history of bidding and near misses on eBay got my heart thumping for sure. I'd be so scared of getting taken for a ride.

Sorry you missed that one, best of luck on the next one and I for one really enjoyed reading it, since I'm not likely to be in a position to do more than live vicariously though the purchases and pics on the forum for the foreseeable future ;-)

(then again, I say that, but if I saved my pen money for a year, I'd be looking at about the budget range you're talking about, so who knows) . ;-)

Thanks Annie!

I thought about this recent eBay Carnegie but took a pass as it was missing the documentation, papers and booklet, plus the outer box. It was still a fair price. One note: the Chaplin was limited to 88 pieces (not 888 like the Carnegie I'm seeking), so quite a bit more rare.

eBay seems to have strong protection for the buyers, and I have additional protection through my credit card, so I would not be too worried of being taken for a ride.

I completely understand about vicarious pen excitement -I myself particularly enjoy reading Evgeny's posts about his incredible collection.

ps. There is at least one other pen I would like to get on eBay soon but will wait to mention it until the auction is over so FPNers don't bid up the price :P

Edited by voukephalas

Oh no - you're after the Imperial Dragon set for $10,000 too........ :yikes:

How did you know? :o

Actually, it was the Artisan Magic Beauty "Le Vilain Petit Canard"/Ugly Duckling. On its way to me now for a fair but not bargain price.

I should stop searching eBay -now I see a different pen I really want at an attractive Buy It Now price -and I already have two examples of this particular pen!

Edited by voukephalas