Visconti Rembrandt Or Pelikan M400

macaddict

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a long time but finally get to post a question.

For Christmas, I'm convincing my wife to get me a FP nicer than what I have (Lamy Vista & Waterman Kultur).

I'm debating whether the Visconti Rembrandt (~ $150) that I hear writes wonderfully smooth (even though it comes with a steel nib) however, I've read that it has some rusting issues where the cap magnet touches the pen.

On the other side of the ring, I'm considering spending twice as much for a Pelikan M400 (~ $300) which has great reviews and history, has a 14k gold nib, but from what I've heard, even though it is a 14k gold nib, it is pretty stiff.

I like extra fine nibs, very smooth (not scratchy), and somewhat soft. My ink of choice is Noodler's Baystate Blue (I know, a "love it" or "hate it" ink), I just love the intensity of the color blue, the somewhat fast drying and water resistance properties.

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• macaddict

• Bo Bo Olson

• heymatthew

• SharkOnWheels456

May I recommend a Pelikan M200 with a Binder EF nib? Smooth and springy steel nib, great piston filler and interchangeable nib system for less than the Rembrandt.

I've had both pens and would go for the Pelikan, though I'm probably biased. The Rembrandt was a smooth writer but the fine nib wrote like a fat medium. Had a nice weight to it and the magnetic cap was novel. I'd heard about the rust but never experienced it. The Pelikan is an upgrade over the Rembrandt IMHO. You get classic styling, a piston filler, smooth though stiff nib, and a well balanced pen when posted. The Pelikan also has an ink window which I find more convenient than unscrewing the barrel to check ink levels. Either way you'll get a good pen but all things being equal, I think the Pelikan is the better pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

May I recommend a Pelikan M200 with a Binder EF nib? Smooth and springy steel nib, great piston filler and interchangeable nib system for less than the Rembrandt.

I was looking at the M200 but I really liked the green striated design of the M300+, I wish I could get it on the M200.

Regarding the Binder EF nib, what is the difference between this one and nibs from other retailers such as:

http://www.pensandleather.com/pelikan-souveran-400-black-green-fountain-pen.aspx

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/collections/collection.asp?CK=77&MFG=24

Does Binder do something different to the Pelikan nibs?

He dials all the nibs in to his standards(which is a good thing) regardless of what pen he sells you. He no longer does custom nib grinds/adjustments, however he does when you buy a pen from him.

His prices May range a little higher than some other sources, but it is money well spent.

Good luck!

David

I own neither but have played around with a Rembrandt and absolutely loved it. I have one on my wish list. The one I used has a F nib, however, but I agree that it wrote more like a medium. Either seem like nice choices. I personally prefer the looks of the Visconti over the Pelikan.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." - Terry Pratchet

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1338/hxl1.jpg

I don't have a Rembrandt, or any Visconti for that matter but I do prefer a regular screw-on pen cap. Therefore Pelikan would be my choice and I do have a 'few' of them!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I would suggest getting a used '83-97 M400, the '83-89 have a bit more flexible nibs.

Either of the two nib sets have more spring than modern... my '90-96 M400 is as good as a '50's-65 steel regular flex Pelikan 120 (school pen)....which is a joy to write with.

A Good Steel nib is as good as a Good Gold nib. You just have to find the right era.

My '30's-50's Osmia gold and steel nibs are equal.

I don't have a modern post '98 M400, I do have a 2005 605. The nib of my '90's M400 is better; a bit more springy and a sharper grind....not the blobby modern nib.

The 200's nib is not a blobby modern nib....

I have had some Pelikan 200 pens and nibs go through my hands as redirected mail. I was impressed. Some were nice slightly springy Pelikan 120 level regular flex, others were just into the semi-flex range...'slightly stiff' semi-flex....still springy....just not quite the middle of the range.

I have some 26 semi-flex nibbed pens. The 200 @ semi-flex nibs were @ the same flex as my Pelikan steel nibbed Celebry from '90-2000.

The 200 is the same size as the 400. A very, very good buy.

If you post and you should in the 400 is a standard sized pen, then you can post a medium-small Pelikan 140 ('50's-65) with a semi-flex nib. It posts long. Semi-flex is a fun nib. Eventually you will go there.

Perhaps you will get lucky with a 200.

Later after a few months with a semi-flex 140, the medium-large 400NN with the 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nib is a grand pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I don't have either pen but I do have a couple of Binderized M2XX's and can heartily recommend him and the Pelikan line. I have a 14k M400 nib for the Pelicans and really love it.

Have you watched Stephen Brown's reviews on youtube - think he has one on that Rembrandt IIRC.

Mr. Olsen knows his stuff on classic German pens. On his recommendation I got a nice semi-flex Pelican 140 from Rick Proppas and it's definitely a pleasant writer. Rick Proppas generally has a good selection of pens like mine for about the same price as the Rembrandt (and most have the green striated finish).

Edited by cadfael_tex

I don't have either pen but I do have a couple of Binderized M2XX's and can heartily recommend him and the Pelikan line. I have a 14k M400 nib for the Pelicans and really love it.

Have you watched Stephen Brown's reviews on youtube - think he has one on that Rembrandt IIRC.

Mr. Olsen knows his stuff on classic German pens. On his recommendation I got a nice semi-flex Pelican 140 from Rick Proppas and it's definitely a pleasant writer. Rick Proppas generally has a good selection of pens like mine for about the same price as the Rembrandt (and most have the green striated finish).

Thanks regarding Rick Propas' webiste. I didn't know about it.

http://www.thepenguinpen.com/index.jsp

Rembrandts are much heavier than Pelikan M400s, in my opinion, so if weight is a factor, consider that as well. My Rembrandt also writes a thicker M line than my Pelikan M...but the writing experience is smooth for both pens.

No signs of rusting anywhere, thought I've read about other Rembrandt users experiencing it before.

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

I don't think you can go wrong with either and if you're like me you will probably end up with both eventually. I sure do love my Pelikans though!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

First, I prefer broader nibs.

I have a Pelikan 200 F nib and a Rembrandt M. The Pelikan is EXTREME BORING black and the Rembrabdt is the gorgeous orange.

I make myself use the Pelikan sometimes. I can sometimes rest the Visconti. But I think the Rembrandt only comes in F or M.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I've only had one Visconti and I knew immediately that I didn't like it. I found it was poorly balanced and I didn't care for the nib. In fact, I disliked it so much that I couldn't bring myself to sell it on these boards so I stuck it up on eBay. LOL!

I've had a few Pelikans, but currently don't own any (as of today). They come and go with me as I become interested in them. I will say that the springy steel nibs are rather nice. I've never used one of their gold nibs, but if I were to buy one, I'd buy one from someone like Richard that way you can have it tuned and make sure that your Fine is really a Fine or Medium is really a Medium. All three Pelikans I've owned have had extremely broad nibs. The third one had to be tuned. After it was, I liked it, but the 200 was too small so I sold it. Otherwise, I would have kept it in my daily rotation.

So... All that said, I'd go with a Pelikan over a Visconti any day.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

I picked up a brand new Pelikan M400 in the black/blue striated color last month for about $195 shipped from Overstock.com (it was marked down on sale for around $217, and then I found an online coupon for an additional 10% off). Wrote awesome right out if the box. Shop around and you may be able to easily beat your $300 mark on the Pelikan (which easily gets my vote in this head to head).

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=Pelikan+fountain&rangeminprice=150&rangemaxprice=300&sortOption=Relevance&searchtype=Header

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I really like my Rembrandt (I don't think I'll ever find a smoother steel nib, and the resin is absolutely gorgeous), but it can be quite temperamental. Dry to wet to dry to wet to... you get the point. Also, if you like an EF, you will most likely not like a Visconti F, which writes quite wide, to say the least. I haven't seen any rusting on my clip.

I would personally go for the Pelikan, but, as other people suggested, from Richard Binder.

Good luck with your Baystate fiascoes, and don't drip it on... well... anything.

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

Also... In addition to my recommendation for the Pelikan, I'll recommend that if you love BSB, you might want to dedicate the Pelikan to that color only. There are a few little creases and grooves in the piston and seals that the ink could get trapped in and it doesn't mix well with other inks as you probably know.

I'm not knocking BSB at all. It's a wonderful blue. Just be mindful when using it in a pen with a more intricate filling system than a converter.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.