Looking For A Pilot Nib

scrivelry

A Franken-Plumix has come my way - it has one color body, anther color cap, and is missing the nib.

Reading carefully on FPN, and calling a supplier or two, it seems that:

Pliot does not sell nibs for these pens

Pilot Varsity nibs will not work

Generic nibs will not work

But

nibs from Pilot Prera, 78-G, Plumix and Penmanship should be replacements for each other.

So... if anyone happens to have nib for any of these, and no longer has a workable pen to go with it, and would be interested in getting rid of that nib, maybe we can work something out.

(I know the pens are not expensive. It's more the challenge here...)

T

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scrivelry

• Dillo

• WirsPlm

• grainweevil

A nib from Metropolitan/MR would, I believe, also fit. Sorry, don't have a spare. :( But figured the bigger the potential pool, the better your chances. (And I totally get the challenge aspect; best of luck!)

Cheers, Al

I think nibs from the Petit1 pens may also work? They look like they work but I haven't actually tried yet (experimenting is on my to-do list after I smooth the Petit1 nib a bit). If you do wind up buying a pen then I think a Petit1 through JStationery.com is the cheapest option (eBay is surprisingly more expensive).

Edited by WirsPlm

A nib from Metropolitan/MR would, I believe, also fit. Sorry, don't have a spare. :( But figured the bigger the potential pool, the better your chances. (And I totally get the challenge aspect; best of luck!)

Cheers, Al

Thank you!

The challenge has led to some rather interesting activity this morning. I can summarize

1. My Jewelry wire cutters are not perhaps the best tool for converting a Pilot Varsity to a stub.

2. The search for the Jewelry files led to the discovery of a .Fountain pen and Ball point pen set I'd been looking for

3. I'm not about to hang out my shingle as a nib grinder anytime soon, but considering that I was getting no use at all from the Varsity because it was too broad, and that it is now a nicely wet italic nib - even if it is a bit rough - not a total loss...

Of course, none of this solved the Plumix nib problem, but...

T

I think nibs from the Petit1 pens may also work? They look like they work but I haven't actually tried yet (experimenting is on my to-do list after I smooth the Petit1 nib a bit). If you do wind up buying a pen then I think a Petit1 through JStationery.com is the cheapest option (eBay is surprisingly more expensive).

Petit nibs interchange only with the Varsity/Vpen

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Looking at JStaionery, squinting at both the penmanship nib and the petit nib, they don't look the same. However, it is an extremely ill wind that blows no good, since the prices there and the free shipping over 20 dollars have inspired me to consider buying my three nieces petits in their favorite colors, that or preppys. Along with refills and notebooks from B&N so they can write books. Because one has to give a bizarrely unexpected gift every now and then...

Get the Petits. Preppys crack.

Thank you!

Very good info - their mother is not the sort of person who could deal with cracking fountain pens...

T

Thank you!

Very good info - their mother is not the sort of person who could deal with cracking fountain pens...

T

The nib won't fit since it is a very different type. It is clipped to the feed instead of being set in the section the way the other nibs are set. That said, the Petit is an excellent pen to use. I can try to ask my family and take some pictures to show you that they do not fit if you want.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

The nib won't fit since it is a very different type. It is clipped to the feed instead of being set in the section the way the other nibs are set. That said, the Petit is an excellent pen to use. I can try to ask my family and take some pictures to show you that they do not fit if you want.

Dillon

Oh that's so nice of you, but not, not necessary. I can see that they don't, and I can believe it - the idea of getting the Petits for my nieces is another thing entirely and has nothing to do with these nibs - I just thought they were affordable enough that if the girls don't love them, fine, and cute enough to make them try them at least once.

No, my crazy search for a nib goes on. I can make another stab at making a nib from soda bottle plastic - last one dint' work, but practice may make - well, better. Or I can try to use a feather shaft to see if that will make a useable nib, or I can dig around whatever other sorts of nibs I find in random places to see if one can be made to work well enough...

This nib thing is not really about getting this pen to work so much as it is seeing what I can manage. Getting a Pilot nib from Pilot would have been very nice, they don't sell them that way, so brain goes into overdrive. Maybe crazy, but fairly harmless.

But I can' t get over how nice you are, willing to take photos and everything to show me - that's really above and beyond. I appreciate it, but I already believe you, so I will just thank you most sincerely, and keep looking at the pens that might have a fitting nib for this project, and only at the Petits and Varsity and so forth for other, different things.

Thanks a ton because your willingness to help me really made my evening!

T

The petit is really excellent pen and comes in a lot of colors, and I'm sure they would enjoy them very much. I hope you can find a nib for the pen! Of course you could always find another Plumix to take the nib from. They weren't that expensive the last time I checked.

Dillon

Dillon

The nib tguk911 so kindly and generously sent me is installed and the pen is writing! Thanks to him and to all of you for your advice.

T