Graf Von Faber-Castell Cobalt Blue

TLab3000

Here's another one of the new GvFC inks: Cobalt Blue. I'm also going to review Garnet Red, soon. I will not review Stone Grey and Carbon Black, as I have no interest in these colours.

There's something weird about GvFC CB: I could swear I've seen this colour before but I can't find anything now that's like it. It's driving me bonkers! If you know which ink comes close, please let me now.

I like this ink not only because of its colour but also because it's well behaved. It dries rather quickly, has some shading, good flow properties, and actually a tiny bit of sheen! Oh, I'm a sucker for sheen. Feathering and bleed-through is not as excellent as in Moss Green and Hazelnut Brown, but it's still pretty good.

http://www.bibu31.de/tmp/gvfcmg/gvfccb1.jpgAnd here's an attempt to find an ink that's close to GvFC CB. My glass dip pen really isn't easy to write with. I should get a better one.

http://www.bibu31.de/tmp/gvfcmg/gvfccb2.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mafia Geek

• lapis

• amberleadavis

• cybaea

Nice review! I love cobalts anyhow -- like e.g. Levenger's -- but can you show us a comparison with GvFC's Royal Blue? I have that one and found (see post) practically no diff to Pelikan's 4001 Royal Blue which, although also a fine blue, IMO is missing out on this splendid touch of a "Royal Purple".

MIke

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

OOOO nice comparison. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for this. I am working my way through the colours and so far really like these inks. Behave extremely well on a variety of papers. The Stone Grey is the first grey I actually liked (but only in a wet pen, please).

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I've really been impressed with the new inks too, some of the best I've used actually. They are my new default inks and I'm going to be posting my reviews as well in the coming days.

I wonder if it's close in color to Montblanc Royal Blue.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I wonder if it's close in color to Montblanc Royal Blue.

It's actually a little darker than Mont Blanc Royal Blue, I like it more. Offers more shading and sheen as well.

It's actually a little darker than Mont Blanc Royal Blue, I like it more. Offers more shading and sheen as well.

Similar to Montblanc Blue Permanent, in may ways, though the MB seems a little 'bluer' to me and flows better in my pen.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Where can you get these new inks?

I have _not_ yet ordered from them, but penbotique appears to sell them

http://www.penboutique.com/p-11277-graf-von-faber-castell-design-ink-bottle-75-ml.aspx

$30 for 75ml

Also from cultpens

https://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Graf-von-Faber-Castell-Bottled-Ink-for-Fountain-Pens.html

TLab, Thanks for the review!

Edited by bleair

Now I got the Cobalt and the Moss. I thought that €25.00 for 75 ml was rather expensive but the two new MB Permanents cost even 12% more and the new CdAs come in at 76% more. Milliliterly speaking, of course.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice color. GVFC inks are some of my favorite for their behavior.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." - Terry Pratchet

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1338/hxl1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

interesting blue and nice color :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 4 months later...

I don't think so, graf would make pretty safe inks I think. A flush every other fill or month or so is always suggested though.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking it reminded me of the 1670 Ocean.

It also looked a little liked this.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/04-Akkerman.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY