Pilot Capless 50Th Anniversary Limited Edition - Maple

Ashram

I just received one last night. Many of my friends in Japan did as well in the last couple of days Stores in the U.S. started to sell the Vanishing Point Maple earlier than those in Japan.

I have a question. My "maple" has an F nib. The Pilot Co. in Japan offers one with an F or M nib. Looking at many online stores in the U.S., they just offers ones with M nibs. I just wonder if the M nib is the only selection in the U.S.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashram

• Alan_L

• A Smug Dill

• Mrs. In TN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just received one last night. Many of my friends in Japan did as well in the last couple of days Stores in the U.S. started to sell the Vanishing Point Maple earlier than those in Japan.

I have a question. My "maple" has an F nib. The Pilot Co. in Japan offers one with an F or M nib. Looking at many online stores in the U.S., they just offers ones with M nibs. I just wonder if the M nib is the only selection in the U.S.

The Pilot USA rep told my store that they were only releasing it in M nib here. Why I am not sure. I am thrilled that Pilot is bringing more of their line of pens including limited editions over but why can't they sell the Decimo models here as well? Sorry for getting off topic - enjoy your pen!

http://i.imgur.com/Bftqofd.png

Hi,

Thanks for the very detailed review! Actually this is the first report I've ever read about the anniversary product from Pilot although I'm living in Japan. And you don't have to worry about the durability of the maple wood. I own three generations of Pilot Custom Maple, and the oldest one is from the 1970s. The manufacturer has long enough experiences with the material. The only thing you have to be careful with is the ink remains. After a few months use you will have your own beautifully aged pen :-)

awesome collection, congratulations!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

fantastic review Ashram. The pen is lovely, many congratulations on a fine acquisition.

I love the Pilot maple offerings but unfortunately the modern capless is not my cup of tea as I have discovered that I like the Decimo and the Fermo more among their current offerings. Also the price demanded is terrific.

warm regards

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you for your rapid and nice review! Your review removed my illusion and the Maple is coming to my hands before long.

rokurinpapa

fantastic review Ashram. The pen is lovely, many congratulations on a fine acquisition.

I love the Pilot maple offerings but unfortunately the modern capless is not my cup of tea as I have discovered that I like the Decimo and the Fermo more among their current offerings. Also the price demanded is terrific.

warm regards

hari

Thanks for the kind words. The pen was priced higher than I would prefer but since these are my favorite modern pens to use I could not resist. I would love to acquire another one of Pilot's maple wood pens but I am going to have to wait a while to rebuild my pen buying funds.

Thank you for your rapid and nice review! Your review removed my illusion and the Maple is coming to my hands before long.

rokurinpapa

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy the pen!

http://i.imgur.com/Bftqofd.png

The wood at first glance appears unfinished but there is some type of light clear lacquer or varnish on the barrel. It is perfectly smooth (emphasis on the perfectly) and is just a bit shiny when held up to the light at an angle. This does not come across in the photos. The enclosed booklet gives the wood as Itaya Maple. The maple barrel does not feel fragile but I do not want to put its scratch resistance or lack thereof to the test. I will keep it at my desk and use it with some care. Thanks for reading!

You are welcome!

I have heard that the Maple is coated by very thin resin lacquer but mine has become darker little by little after using it for only a few days.

rokurinpapa

Received my vanishing point the other day and it is beautiful. One think I noticed that I didn't think you pointed out is that the limited seems to have more threads on the barrel to screw it together than a normal VP. Or maybe it is just me?

• 1 month later...

Beautiful pen!

I do not like gold trim in any pen... But in this one suits the maple wood like no other!

• 4 weeks later...

It seems Pilot has perfected handling of Kaede (maple wood) materials.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 7 years later...

I bought one of these back in 2013, at the height of my love of Pilot Capless pens (no Fermo models, though), but could never bring myself to ink and use it lest I mar its beauty; and so it remained in its retail packaging for almost all of its seven-year residency here in my home. It's been so long ago, I can't even remember what I paid for it or from which retailer I bought it, and I can't find any email relating to the order either in the archives.

Given that I wasn't going to write with it, I had no idea what to do with it… until now. A good friend's 50th birthday is coming up, and I just don't know what to give a guy who treated my wife and I to a $400-a-head dinner, orders whiskies at ≥$30 a shot when it's his round to shout, and collects watches that cost more individually than probably my entire pen collection. I don't think he's really into pens, though.

The other candidate for a present I could have bought a couple of weeks ago was the Lamy 2000 50th Anniversary commemorative edition Black Amber gift set, which would probably be more his style if he was into writing with fountain pens.

Ah well. This Pilot Capless pen is just too pretty for its own good, and I guess it now gets to be a museum piece in someone else's house. 😔

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 11 months later...

I just acquired a Pilot 50th Anniversary 2013 Maple Wood Capless Fountain Pen, without the box, but it's in great shape. Are they collectible or desirable without the box? Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Mrs. In TN said:

Are they collectible or desirable without the box?

They are collectible to those who want to collect all Pilot Capless limited edition models, or (exclusively Japanese, or more broadly) pens with beautiful wooden barrels, etc. if they fit their collection criteria and/or goals. The nature, characteristics, and yes, rarity of the pen itself makes it a collectible pen (or not, from the perspective of an individual enthusiast and/or collector).

The pen, as an item that can be traded, is most likely going to be worth less in the market without being accompanied by the original wooden gift box, by a greater amount than the box itself is worth. Nevertheless, if you're going to trade on its rarity, then if your pen sans box is one of only two on offer in the marketplace at the time an enthusiast really wants to buy one to own because the pen fills a gap in his/her themed collection, and/or to use as a functional writing instrument, then rarity would trump the ‘incompleteness’ of it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.