Onoto Magna Classic Tortoiseshell

tce

I was visiting Penbox in Epworth today and they had enquired about my order for the Magna Classic Tortoiseshell (LE of 100 - can be pre-ordered through Penbox and may be available from next week).

They also had the following images of the pen:

post-87304-0-25923700-1383759470_thumb.jpgpost-87304-0-09024500-1383759503_thumb.jpg

Edited by tce

"I am a poure dyuel, and my name ys Tytyvyllus... I muste eche day ... brynge my master a thousande pokes full of faylynges, and of neglygences in syllables and wordes."

Myroure of Oure Ladye, I.xx.54

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArchiMark

• MisterBoll

• penmanila

• david6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you. Is the material Cellulose Nitrate(Celluloid) or is it Acrylic?

According to the August edition of The Onotoist,

"...it's a Tortoiseshell-like acrylic with gold-plated fittings. "

Edited by tce

"I am a poure dyuel, and my name ys Tytyvyllus... I muste eche day ... brynge my master a thousande pokes full of faylynges, and of neglygences in syllables and wordes."

Myroure of Oure Ladye, I.xx.54

I saw one at Write Here's pen evening in October and it certainly looks good and feels great. Probably about the weight of a Pelikan 800 but that's all I've got to compare it too. Heavier than my 'ordinary' Magnas though so perhaps the one I saw had the 'extra weight' option.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I'm not sure they do the 'extra weight' options in these limited run specials GC. When I ordered a 'Royal Ruby', it was only available as a lightweight at 25 grammes.

Kind reagrds,

Tim

Just when you think it is safe to look at FPN and you've got your pen lust under control..............

Beautiful pen and beautiful photos. Thanks....................er...............I think.

Here you go... fresh from the studio this very week. What a beauty!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3699/10723995313_df5618629f_b.jpg

Oh dear, there goes the budget again...

Really handsome looking classic design pen!......and photos are excellent

Sorry to say, have never had an Onoto pen.....but been tempted a few times...

What are their nibs like? ie, firm, rigid, some give to them, etc?

Also, looking at pen dimensions, it seems just a tad bit slim, pen barrel diameter-wise....at least for me.....but still tempted...

Looks like they're very well made.....

FWIW, I've had a bunch of vintage and modern CS pens and still have several Churchills and a Winston, so, if someone can include some comparative comments of these to the Onoto Magna series in terms of how they write, etc, would be very useful.

Appreciate any input....thanks!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

The gold nibs on the Onoto have some give to them - a bit springy but not what I would call flexy.

The Magna live on the same (Winston Churchill slept here) street as the Winston. Both makers make superb, beautifully made pens but they each have their own 'feel' to them.

To me there is no mistaking a CS for anything else - likewise with the Onoto.

The gold nibs on the Onoto have some give to them - a bit springy but not what I would call flexy.

The Magna live on the same (Winston Churchill slept here) street as the Winston. Both makers make superb, beautifully made pens but they each have their own 'feel' to them.

To me there is no mistaking a CS for anything else - likewise with the Onoto.

Thank you for your input, MisterBoll....very helpful!......

Nibs that are a bit springy, with some give to them are just what I like....don't need flexy nibs, hard to control, unless I write really slowly....

Think I understand your point about CS and Onoto pens being different from one another.....definitely tempted to get either the tortoise or other Magna.... :)

Think I understand your point about CS and Onoto pens being different from one another.....definitely tempted to get either the tortoise or other Magna.... :)

Glad to be of help. Keep in mind you also have a choice of two weights on the Magna - 25gms or 32gms.

The Winston is 54gms.

Glad to be of help. Keep in mind you also have a choice of two weights on the Magna - 25gms or 32gms.

The Winston is 54gms.

Yes, noticed that....that's a great feature to give people the choice on weight....would probably go for the added weight....

My only issue now I think is whether pen is too skinny for me or not....I tend to go for chunkier pen barrel widths...like the Churchill and Winston...had a Raleigh, great pen, but felt it was a bit narrow....that's just me and my prefs....but do find the tortoiseshelll extremely handsome....as well as some of the other Magnas....

Yes, noticed that....that's a great feature to give people the choice on weight....would probably go for the added weight....

My only issue now I think is whether pen is too skinny for me or not....I tend to go for chunkier pen barrel widths...like the Churchill and Winston...had a Raleigh, great pen, but felt it was a bit narrow....that's just me and my prefs....but do find the tortoiseshelll extremely handsome....as well as some of the other Magnas....

I like heavier pens and the (slightly) heavy weight is my choice.

You'll have to try one out - the barrel is a good width. I also like thick pens and the Onoto is fine in this regard.

I like heavier pens and the (slightly) heavy weight is my choice.

You'll have to try one out - the barrel is a good width. I also like thick pens and the Onoto is fine in this regard.

Thanks again for all your input....really helps....

Although you're really tempting me to try one......maybe you or someone else can send one to me to try out.... ;)