Custom Orange Bands From Newton Pens

quinden

I've been using this pen pretty continuously for several months now, and it deserves a review! Without Further ado...my custom pen from Newton Pens:

fpn_1383536275__newton1_800x600.jpg

Appearance:

Shawn Newton made this pen for me, based on a (rough, rough) sketch I sent to him. I was looking for a pen that was shaped somewhat like a German pen from the 30s with a domed top, but with some aesthetic considerations from Japanese pens, thrown in with some ideas from American vintage pens - specifically, the cool bands on some of the Conklin Enduras. He hit a home run!

fpn_1383537054__newton2_800x650.jpg

Construction:

The body is Cumberland ebonite, with orange ebonite bands, and looks shiny and fantastic. I believe he joined the ebonite pieces by threading them and gluing them together, but the joints are seamless.

Weight and Dimensions

The pen is roughly the same length as a Duofold Centennial, but is much thicker (so roughly 5.3 inches in length or so, probably .6 inches in diameter. The ebonite construction means the pen feels very light, but I would say it weighs more than my Nakayas - Shawn left the ebonite very thick.

Nib and Performance.

I went with a steel nib - Fine. The nib has the Newton logo on it. I am not sure if Shawn did a grind on this nib, or if he tuned it, but it's exactly how I like my nibs to be! It's finer than most western/European fines I have used, and has the perfect amount of feedback. If I ever did want to change nibs, I believe it's a JoWo nib unit, which should be easy to screw out and swap in another #6 nib.

fpn_1383537697__newton4_686x800.jpg

Filling System and Maintenance

It uses international standard cartridges or converters. I still love cool filling systems (fountainbel's bulkfiller is a personal favorite, and I need to review mine soon!), but I think C/C pens have a lot of advantages, especially if you want to switch inks often. There are enough threads on the section to use it as an eyedropper-filled pen, but I didn't think to ask Shawn if the threaded orange ebonite sections might cause leakage.

Cost and Value

I traded two Kindle Fires for this pen, and it is more than worth that. Shawn was great to work with and I think I may ask for another one of these, only with different materials... :)

Conclusion

This pen makes me smile every time I use it. It has also gotten more comments from people (pen people and non-pen people) than most of my other pens; every time I take it to my local pen shop (Dromgoole's in Houston, TX), it gets plenty of appreciative comments. Shawn was very accomodating and explained a lot of his process, and he does lots of cool stuff for kids in his school (he teaches high school art). If you have a chance to get a Newton, I say go for it!

fpn_1383537569__newton5_800x485.jpg

Oh, and here's a writing sample - apologies for the poor lighting and overall junkiness!

fpn_1383538012__newton6_760x800.jpg

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quinden

• watch_art

• hari317

• da vinci

It looks like his logo has changed.I like it. the pen is a really nice match of materials, colors and aesthetics.

Thanks everyone!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Thanks for the review! These photos are gorgeous!

If you want to use it as an eyedropper, you should be okay. All the pieces that are threaded are epoxy welded together, so shouldn't leak at all.

Shawn, thanks! I should have known to ask earlier. :)

I think this is one of the nicest builds I have seen from Shawn. It is shaped beautifully, proportioned perfectly, and the colour combo is excellent. A truly beautiful pen - it is no wonder it attracts attention!

Ken

Ken, I would agree! I'm pretty biased in favor of the pen though ;)

Wow ! one of the greatest design I've seen for awhile. Perfect proportions and wonderful colour combination.

There is something Japanese about this pen, yet very Western. Love it.

Lince, VillersCotterets, and bobaroo, thanks! VC - I totally agree; Shawn really was able to capture exactly what I had in the sketch and add his own personal touch.

Gosh! Thanks everyone! Heraclitus682, sounds like you need to think about your next Newton ;)