JustWrite Pen Company

Here are a couple of pages showing all of the Toucan colours. I used embedded Flickr images so I could get the full resolution shots up. I don't know why the second image is rotated, but you can get the idea.

The order of the colours is:

Black, Umber, Sienna, Violet, Royal Blue, Bright Blue, Turquoise, Aqua, Bright Green, Crimson, Magenta, Orange, Gold, Primrose, Black.

Feathering is a bit of an issue on this Staples shorthand pad, some colours worse than others. I haven't tried any water on them yet.

My personal favourite by far is Sienna, it really looks great. I think I'll also be buying more Crimson, Umber, Orange and maybe Turquoise.

The Primsore is quite readable in the image, but in real life it's really too bright to read. The Black is good too, but......alright, maybe I'll get some of that too.

Every colour looked completely awful in my Broad 78G, but that was to be expected, that pen makes almost every ink look like a highlighter.

Cheers.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7357/10970888453_26fded25a8_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/10970638355_314bf5229a_o.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• amberleadavis

• JustWrite Pen Company

• Cyber6

Wow. What can I say, but Wow?

My inks are on their way and I can't wait to try them.

The scans here look very promising. I'm a fan of reds and that Sienna looks wonderful. And the blues do too.

Sings - "I can feel some mixing coming on"! [sorry - an allusion to an Aussie beer commercial.]

I agree with Cyber6, you can get some great effects by mixing with yellow/golds.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.

Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.

Juvenal

We still ship to New Zealand. We used to ship worldwide but postage costs were a killer and it makes no sense trying to compete with US/Asian websites.

When we changed the shipping info, we made that terrible mistake we often do in Australia - either forget about New Zealand or think it's part of Australia.

I'll change the site to include NZ. And I'll be happy to send you some ink samples.

Kind Regards ...Kevin

Wohoo! Well done. A terrible mistake indeed - you've got customers over here! :P

Edit: Oh, Paypal won't let me checkout because I'm not in Australia :crybaby:

Shall I try again in a couple of days?

Edited by luminesce

questions questions, too many questions...

Wohoo! Well done. A terrible mistake indeed - you've got customers over here! :P

Edit: Oh, Paypal won't let me checkout because I'm not in Australia :crybaby:

Shall I try again in a couple of days?

The plot thickens, paypal do not consider us seperate!

Edited by c4bb0ose

A few more pics:

This time Sienna in a nice pen on nice paper, I think it's a bit of a winner.
And some water splash tests after 24 hours drying time; I think that's a 'no' on water resistance (that happened instantly).

fpn_1385076485__sienna-leucht.jpg

fpn_1385076513__water_1.jpg

fpn_1385076538__water_2.jpg

Hi all,

I agree: the reds, oranges and and greens in this range are great, and the sienna is a personal favourite. Not so keen on the magenta or violet, but my daughters will love them (I've ordered the whole range in 60ml pouches - posted yesterday, so hopefully here by Monday!). Gold and primrose don't show up well on paper - even though in my scans (above in this thread) they seem quite visible. The blues - well, I've said this a few times already, but it doesn't hurt to say it again! - I'd like them to be darker, more saturated, more concentrated(?). I don't know if they can do that without affecting the 'mixability' of the inks - then again, maybe it wouldn't hurt to supplement the range. Then again, if you like lighter blues...

These inks will wash away pretty well completely in water (the ones I've tried, anyway), but that's pretty much to be expected - and a distinct advantage if I'm encouraging my 5 y.o. to experiment with them! [sorry, wrote that sentence before the splash test image above was posted - but it confirms my own experience...]

Firstly, please excuse my handwriting, these were done in a bit of a rush!

I got my 14x30ml pouches on Wednesday, and have only just had the chance to test them all out.

The little scribble is from a fresh dip to dry.

First I did a small bit of writing with a glass J-Herbin dip pen onto 80gsm Rhodia square-grid paper.

http://i.imgur.com/85y3d0C.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kl9exZg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Br7VrQS.jpg

Next, i did a drip test on a piece of paper towel.
http://i.imgur.com/WRgnmid.jpg

The drops above on the paper towel are in the same order as the writing, just left-to-right

All images can be clicked for their original sizes.

Edited by BoomBox

Excellent - I think the ink drops tell us lots about these inks, and inks in general. It shows that most of them are pure colours. The colour separation in the Sienna and the Umber reinforces for me, at least, that these will be fun colours with some shading. The others are nice bright colours in their own right and will be fun to explore some colour mixing.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.

Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.

Juvenal

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you can mix one up with the Toucan inks? :)

Interestingly (perhaps) a friend of mine is kind of obessed with this ink. He picks up the occasional bottle on Ebay from time to time at anything up to $100 a bottle. I've never used it but I've seen it on paper and it IS an interesting ink. It seems to have a richness in colour and reflective qualities quite unlike most inks. I suspect it was a unique formula, most likely containing some ingredients not commonly used in fountain pen ink. We can only speculate though because we don't have access to the formula or even a list of ingredients. The MSDS is readily available though but there is only one interesting thing there.

"Hazardous decomposition products may be released in fire situation."

Unless this refers to the carbon oxides released when the diethylene glycol burns, or it contains toxic dyes, this ink must contain some other ingredient that breaks down in fire to produce these hazardous products. This ingredient or ingredients might be what made this ink so different.

It's been speculated that the Penman inks used organo-metalic inks. If that's correct, depending on the metals the combustion products could be rather nasty.

Too bad you can't ship outside Australia - I'd like to do business with you; ship to Jakarta. Please consider EMS or DHL options, with tracking (Post Indonesia is a black hole for shipments without tracking, DHL is OK). Considering I have to use the likes of tracked mail or DHL for shipments from the U.S. anyway, it may be less from Australia. I think others in Asia might be faced with the same situation.

My samples were waiting for me when I arrived home yesterday. Thanks so much for sending. Will take me a while to try them all, but many I like the look of already.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

I'm gradually working my way through the sample pack I bought and there are some beauties in there. I love the Crimson and Bright Green. Those two and some others will definitely be on my list for a future purchase. I didn't like the Magenta at all and I'm ambivalent about Violet.

But overall, these are great inks and I like the idea that you can buy them in the plastic pouches. And it's great that we have an Australian company doing this. Well done.

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad you can't ship outside Australia - I'd like to do business with you; ship to Jakarta. Please consider EMS or DHL options, with tracking (Post Indonesia is a black hole for shipments without tracking, DHL is OK). Considering I have to use the likes of tracked mail or DHL for shipments from the U.S. anyway, it may be less from Australia. I think others in Asia might be faced with the same situation.

Maybe JustWrite should consider adding in SEA postage as well. Seems like there's the potential for at least SOME customers there. And really, if the customer is paying for postage, it's not too bad.

As for me, I will be getting the Sienna in 400ml for SURE. I can really see myself using that in my new Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown for home writing use. I might get a 60ml in the red, black and some of the blues too, might try formulating my own special blue-black out of it.

So glad toucan just came out since I've been looking at most other inks and thinking "$22 for a bottle... ouch"

Edited by WirlWind

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

I am soo excited.. the writing samples are wonderful. I am actually looking forward to Gold and Primrose.. :P

Add a couple of drops of Umber to Primrose.. and you will get an amazing old gold look. Another tiny drop of blue... and you'll get a green gold look. You can tell I play with ink on a regular basis... :lol:

I placed my order for the 12 X 60ml ... so now.. I just need to wait. My friend is coming back in January. I know time will fly by... :D

C.

:bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :D :D HA HA... I HAVE MY TOUCAN INK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: ONLY GIRL IN CANADA WITH TOUCAN INK!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Now..

the Good News... THEY ARE HERE!!! :D

the Bad News..... One of the pouches leaked!!! :bawl:

the Good News... Only ONE pouch leaked !!! :rolleyes:

I will try to salvage as much ink as possible.. but the labels are totally gone... :( ... Oh well... it will be a fun guessing game.. :P

BTW.. they came in a very smart system.. All the pouches come in a vacuum sealed bag... so NO MESS whatsoever. ;)

Thanks KEVIN!!!!

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Now..

the Good News... THEY ARE HERE!!! :D

the Bad News..... One of the pouches leaked!!! :bawl:

the Good News... Only ONE pouch leaked !!! :rolleyes:

The bad news is the frogurt is also cursed...

I just ordered myself the Sienna, the Royal Blue and the Crimson in 60ml pouches, $20 including postage! That's damn sexy, considering that most other colours from other countries are that much for a single bottle!

Will possibly throw up a writing sample if I can find the balls to share my terrible handwriting :P

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

Will possibly throw up a writing sample if I can find the balls to share my terrible handwriting :P

Just dig real deep... I am sure they are there somewhere.... :lticaptd:

Update on my ink... I was able to salvage 30ml in small glass container... and for the looks of it, there are 20-25ml left in the pouch. All in all.. I lost approx 5-10ml !!!... YAY!!!!! :lol:

fpn_1389152109__img_08.jpg

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Hi Cyber6, glad to hear your Toucan inks have arrived. Like you, I ordered the whole range in 60 ml pouches, but am a bit apprehensive about experimenting with mixing them :blush:. You happy to post some of your concoctions, somewhere on the FPN website? I get the impression from your earlier posts, this is something you're pretty experienced with?

The one thing I'd really like to be able to do is to find a mix that produces a darker shade of blue (closer to a classic Royal blue) without ending up with a blue-black. Can that be achieved by mixing - or is that, I wonder, more a matter of dye concentration?

The one attempt I've made thus far was 2 parts sienna, 2 parts orange, 1 part primrose, to see if I could roughly match the colour of Noodler's Apache Sunset - and I have to say it's not too bad! The shading doesn't produce as wild a variation of colours - but it certainly shades quite well, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than ordering in a bottle from the US!

I have found that if you use a wet, very narrow nib, the Royal Blue becomes quite a lot darker. I have had very good results using the Myers Post Office nibs that Justwrite also sell (although I had mine from a previous purchase) with the Royal Blue.

You do need to use it on well-behaved paper, but I found that the combination of X brand notebook from Officeworks, along with the Myers P.O. nib and Toucan Royal Blue all work very well together.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I have found that if you use a wet, very narrow nib, the Royal Blue becomes quite a lot darker. I have had very good results using the Myers Post Office nibs that Justwrite also sell (although I had mine from a previous purchase) with the Royal Blue.

You do need to use it on well-behaved paper, but I found that the combination of X brand notebook from Officeworks, along with the Myers P.O. nib and Toucan Royal Blue all work very well together.

Thanks David - I have found that the Pilot V-Pens (one of which I've refilled with Toucan Royal Blue) are a bit less 'flattering' to these less saturated inks than are some of my other pens - I'll try another pen and see how I go!

I sent a PM but got no answer so I'll ask here. If the problem is cost of shipping, maybe some of us would be OK with that cost. Is there a way to get a quote? I would be interested in the complete set in 60ml size.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg