Making A Pen Case

my63

Hi Joe

I started at the end of October pretty much when I started this thread I have used suede for the inside of boxes before.

Stitching is my main problem I used a chisel to mark the holes but an awl to push through, although to be honest I have just found out that the awl needs to be sharp and polished to work effectivley. i am looking at buying or making a stitching pony very soon

I buy all my thread and leather from Le Prevo who are not to far away from me and have been very helpful.

I would appreciate any advice that you might be able to give.

Joe do you have some pictures of your work you could share

Regards

michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure, maybe I'll knock up a pen-case tomorrow and take pics? Can't tonight but will get something up tomorrow!

You order through LePrevo huh? I tried that in the past, but found them to be a real pain in the neck to deal with!!! On eBay, you can often catch hides pretty cheap. I got a 10' x 5' (approx) hide on ebay for £12! It's lasted a while, I must say!

All the best,

Joe

I am fortunate Le Prevo is only 15 minutes from me it is a bit like Arkwrights store very small very busy there is room for three or four people as long as everyone breathes in and out at the same time :lticaptd:

I will keep a look out on ebay in the past I have not been sure what I was looking for as I learn more I will be able to find better deals.

Looking forward to seeing your work do you have a website.

Regards

Michael

Hello Michael,

thank you very much for the beautiful Omas case. It came today and I am over the moon with it. I hope to post some pictures with the inhabitant present....very soon once I have sorted out camera etc.

Vera :D :D

I read a post sometime ago where someone was looking for a case to carry pens and also to display them safely on a desk anyway the thought stuck and has been rattling around in my head.

Here is my first prototype 5 pens on each side the ends you can see here will be covered when it is made in leather.

IMG_6130_1 by my0771, on Flickr
The upright position which will be the position in which the pens can be removed.

The strap that secures the case will turn around and secure the other half to prevent it falling flat.

IMG_6125 by my0771, on Flickr
This is not to scale and not as neat as the finished product will be the pen slots need to be longer which may cause difficulty in removing the pens.
Thanks for looking
Michael

You evil, evil man. Just one more Gotta have item!

Nice idea but I do wonder if it may be too top heavy when loaded and fall over. I love how you stager the arrangement of the pens.

You evil, evil man. Just one more Gotta have item!

Nice idea but I do wonder if it may be too top heavy when loaded and fall over. I love how you stager the arrangement of the pens.

That is a good point not the evil part the falling over part :) I think if that was an issue making the strap a little longer would allow the two sides to spread further apart.

I might need to add an extra hole in the strap.

Thanks for the input

Michael

Omas 360 part 2

Alc3261 asked me to make another Omas case so here goes,

As this case is all to be the same colour turquoise I decided to use the same leather throughout it is high quality and is finished on one side and suede on the other it also takes the dye very well.

After cutting the four pieces to the required size I heated and formed the kydex then wet and formed the leather

IMG_6140 by my0771, on Flickr
Thanks
Michael

The picture in the previous post shows the two pieces which sandwich the kydex to form the front, Another two pieces sandwich a flat piece of kydex to make up the back panel

I have now joined all six pieces of the Omas case together as this case will be one colour, I will sew it together first then add the dye

IMG_6154_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I just need to shape the lid first.

Thanks for looking

Michael

Exciting!!

If you like that then I think you are going to love this.

IMG_6158_1 by my0771, on Flickr
I think my stitching has improved I bought a stitching pony to make holding the work a lot easier.

IMG_6160_1 by my0771, on Flickr
Definitely triangular

IMG_6163_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_6161_1 by my0771, on Flickr
Time to get the dye out two coats of dye then allow 24 hours to dry finish the edges and it will be done.
Thanks for looking
Michael

Next stage gloves dauber and dye.

IMG_6171_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The dye was still wet when i took this picture

IMG_6179_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_6181_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I will let it dry for a few hours before applying the wax and finishing the edges

Thanks

Michael

Wow. This is beautiful, too! I have to keep bouncing between threads to see all the progress. I'm loving it! You are an artist.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

In order to make this case I need to make a form

IMG_6130_1 by my0771, on Flickr

You will need to make your own sawing noises 10 x 18 mm and 10 x 21 mm all 200 mm long

IMG_6167_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_6183_1 by my0771, on Flickr

It will hold 10 large or oversize pens I am not sure about putting kydex inside if I was i think I would make individual pieces rather than try to mould the whole thing in one go.

I have to be honest this will be a large case I am a little unsure if anyone would ever carry 10 pens of this size if you would then please let me know.

Thanks for looking

Michael

I don't think kydex is needed if thick leather is used for the outside ( when closed ). I have been using a 40 pen case from Frankilin Christoph on very crowded trains and have had no problems. They use boot leather, I believe, for their cases. I would think that the ten interlocking tubes with pens inside backed with think leather, perhaps bridle?, would protect against most anything other than a maniac with a hammer or car accident.

However, if you want to practice either moulding each side as one piece or practice sewing multiple pieces together, have at it!

I do carry lots of pens with me. If the tubes are large, they can accomodate my crescent fillers or small and large pens. If small, only small pens.

I experimented yesterday with some 3 mm scrap leather it was quite difficult to mould and needed lots of pressure to make it take the shape.

The wet veg tanned leather is very soft and the amount of pressure required has left marks on the leather I will have to find a way around this problem

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/11877205386_38905a3907_o.jpg

IMG_6190 by my0771, on Flickr
The leather I plan to use for the inside is 2.5 mm thick I hope this will take the shape a little easier than the 3 mm I need to get this right first time as the leather is really expensive.
Thanks
Michael

If thick(er) learther is used for the outside, shouldn't thinner leather for the pen slots be sufficient? It just needs to keept the pens in place and guard against scratches and mild pressure, the outer leather absorbing most of the threat to the pens. IMHO