Making A Pen Case

my63

I think the flat pieces as suggested would be good as in the cardboard template. How about having more of the turquoise slots on show than in the mock up. Maybe about enough for an average size clip to go over?

Thanks that is straight forward I just need to decide on a colour to go with the turquoise my preference would be black but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about purple? I just like colours.

www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

Looks great to me. Love the pattern.

Navy should look good too.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

I want to make a pen case with custom alligator skin and my very own custom monogram and jeweled button!

Move aside montblanc !

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Hi Fuchsiaprincess I don't have any navy in the embossed just red and purple.

GTOZack

I am not sure if you are serious but if you can get the hide I would love to have a go at making the case. I have watched the alligator hunters on Discovery channel.

I can do monograms this was my latest attempt I have not shared it here before as it was a surprise but it has been delivered now so here it is.

14191711952_f0f02b3024_o.jpg

IMG_7372_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I think the owner likes it.

Michael

Ok the four pen case is going to be purple with a turquoise interior that leaves the three pen case I think either red or black bridle.

I wanted to take some pens with me yesterday and realised that I did not have a case to take them in.

14164262508_a05cd1b277_z.jpgIMG_7591 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks

Sorry the system would not allow me to post the other images earlier

Then our foster puppy Monty ate a sock and had to be rushed to the vets where here required emergency surgery to remove it very sad as it will cost the rescue around £800 in vets bills.

14128553887_b911acc97d_z.jpgIMG_7549 by my0771, on Flickr

I will post the missing pictures soon

Michael

Edited by my63

He is adorable! The dog that is but the pen case looks great too. I love the thought if the purple and turquoise. I like the red, black or brown would look great too.

Your work is great Michael.

I think the flat pieces as suggested would be good as in the cardboard template. How about having more of the turquoise slots on show than in the mock up. Maybe about enough for an average size clip to go over?

I have been trying to make this idea work,

Allowing more of the turquoise to show is pretty straight forward however clipping the pens over the edge I don't think I can make that work.

Although I could make a strip across the inside to allow pens to be clipped in place the longest pen I have is 140mm long and the over size pens are 130mm.

Michael

Ok this is going to be difficult to explain but I will do my best

In the picture below we have all of the parts for a four pen case in the centre is the main body which consists of embossed purple leather glued to a piece of veg tanned leather with a rectangle of kydex and finally two thirds covered in turquoise suede.

On the right is the pen slots kydex wrapped in suede.

On the left is another piece of kydex wrapped in suede with curved edges to fit over the pen slots this is to stop the leather from taking the form of the slots over time and looking untidy.

14361914366_29ab782353_o.jpg

IMG_7596 by my0771, on Flickr

Sorry about the colour on the next picture and excuse the large fingers (and cracked skin) the pen slots in place for a trial fit

14198380719_34fa5b7925_o.jpg

IMG_7603 by my0771, on Flickr

Stud fastener in place this was another reason for the kydex over the pen slots the stud may have pulled through the thinner leather.

14361938866_c0db3d1d87_o.jpg

IMG_7609 by my0771, on Flickr

I am still working on the sides which have really been a challenge

14383614772_dcd1b44bee_o.jpg

IMG_7608 by my0771, on Flickr

The finished job will look like this but it is a few weeks away

Thanks for looking

Michael

This looks absolutely stunning and exactly how I pictured it!!!

I don't seem to be able to leave this case at the moment the leather looks really good and feels fantastic. I am keen to see what the finished case looks like,

14370267276_389d804575_z.jpgIMG_7611 by my0771, on Flickr

There are times when I think about projects for too long and get ...stuck if you know what I mean I think about things so much I cant get anything done.

this is one of those situations where a little more thinking may have helped although I am often two steps ahead of what I am doing.

14393376635_eaced5fcc2_z.jpgIMG_7615 by my0771, on Flickr

The original design had the pen slots covered and as things changed and more of the slots became visible I should have shortened the side pieces (gussets) not only have I started sewing but I glued the base together first.

As you can see my side pieces are too long I need as they say a "cunning plan" (black adder) Time for a cup of tea and a think.

Thanks

Michael

I had pretty much decided last night as I was posting what I was going to do

14210465199_9bf495061d_z.jpgIMG_7618 by my0771, on Flickr

14395750352_3d64640391_z.jpgIMG_7617 by my0771, on Flickr

I still need to sew it together and do the same to the other side but I am really happy with it.

Thanks for looking

Michael

I decided to have another try at something I have made in the past.

I am going to show most of the steps well all bar one that one being the one that really hurts, all will become clear as we progress.

I started with a small piece of wood 3cm or just over 1 inch long

14419796292_202b8c22e7_z.jpgIMG_7645_1 by my0771, on Flickr

My trusty proxxon multi tool will be very useful here.

The question is can anyone guess what it is going to be I know the title is a clue but it is just for fun sorry no prizes

Michael.

I would like to wish a happy fathers day to everyone who reads this thread.

There are not many things that I need so when I was asked if there was anything I would like my first choice was a pen (vac 51) which I bought last Sunday and as I got such a good deal I ordered this

14241195477_5aebbd5dd2_z.jpgMY inprint (3) by my0771, on Flickr

I have been playing around with a logo for some time and when I purchased a cat stamp from ebay the maker Vojtech Darbujan sent me a link to his website www.toolpaw.com I sent him the image and description of what I wanted it has not arrived yet but you can be sure I will be stamping everything when I get it.

Anyway back to the task in hand the mystery object.

14427782245_ce983a497c_z.jpgIMG_7652_1 by my0771, on Flickr

14241250290_3a1cfc728f_z.jpgIMG_7657_1 by my0771, on Flickr

14426667674_e7620ba649_z.jpgIMG_7653_1 by my0771, on Flickr

It is a multi function piece of wood being both a thong toggle and a pen rest in one, This is not my idea I saw it on the internet and this is my version it still needs a little more sanding but the principle is sound.

Thanks for looking

Michael

I have struggled with the round case concept for a few months now I want a case made from leather but I also want it to be super strong to protect my pens and if anyone wants to have a go at making their own then I am happy to help in anyway I can.

I do make them for people who wish to order them of course.

The problem I have with the round case is rounding over the kydex at the end. As it is a thermo plastic it becomes malleable with heat.

I have recently discovered that higher temperatures lead to shrinkage (it also leads to burnt fingers) this is the point where you realise that your gloves are not heat resistant.

If you do try this please be aware that the heat required is very dangerous and the kydex becomes sticky at these temperatures.

14241255078_c9282f5703_z.jpgIMG_7655_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Here you can see the rounded end of a kydex tube with the rounded end I have also fitted the thong with toggle in place, this tube is the full length of the pen as the top cover does not have kydex in it.

I may change the position of the thong as the original has two lugs which allow the thong to be attached I have made two tubes so I may make one of each which might be a good plan as the case is for one my new pens

Thanks

Michael