Making A Pen Case

my63

Nice Looking As Always!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Anne-Sophie.

To ensure the tops fit the way I want them to I finish the lower sections and then form the upper section around them.

First is an Emperor case in all black.

52354673070_dfd520968a_z.jpg2022-09-13_07-46-40 by my0771, on Flickr

Next is a pair one Emperor case and one for a Montblanc 149.

52353302867_18e06e650e_z.jpg2022-09-13_07-47-03 by my0771, on Flickr

Finally a special colour option. Light colours are especially difficult to get right as any tooling will cause the leather to darken.

52354245156_8a04082c16_z.jpg2022-09-13_07-47-19 by my0771, on Flickr

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

The last one is, Wow!

I hope you will share the closures you make for them, those cases are unique, even more so with the special closures.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

As requested here are the closure systems, The wooden toggles are shaped to form pen rests the metal cones fit on the thong to cover the knots in the ends. There are also small leather tags with initials on them which are not in the picture.

52360788007_3a3f0191cd_z.jpg2022-09-16_01-34-29 by my0771, on Flickr

I am fully caught up on my outstanding orders now so will be doing a few different projects in the next few weeks.

This project is one I started a few years ago a friend gave me some used shotgun shells and sais "see what you can do with these" so this is what I did.

52362069528_14f7232e33_z.jpg2022-09-16_02-39-47 by my0771, on Flickr

I call it shotgun chess :) I am not really a fan of either but it was an interesting project.

Thank you so much Michel!

Those closures for your unique, pen like, pen cases are truly a wonderful work of minutiae and innovation.

The same could be said, looking at your latest project, impressive idea and a truly heirloom chess set.  

Here are some finished pictures of the last cases I made.

52380356334_0d6622e628_z.jpg2022-09-24_08-11-38 by my0771, on Flickr

52380044926_bf8d3da1a8_z.jpg2022-09-24_08-11-50 by my0771, on Flickr

52380465525_39ed918b0d_z.jpg2022-09-24_08-12-00 by my0771, on Flickr

This is the next project.

52380357289_68152fd10e_z.jpg2022-09-24_08-12-29 by my0771, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

I  think it is the first time I have seen a bicolor pen case, in that style, I can't think of anything more perfect for a bicolor pen.

Heading over to your blog for the briefcase project.

I realized I haven't posted on your thread for two months, I let it move further than page 2 or 3 in the topic.

Involved in voting right advocacy for quite some time, usually, two months before an election, it is a strong focus  of mine and other things go by the wayside. 

Hi Anne-Sophie. I am sorry to say there is nothing new on the blog or the website. There was a problem getting the red suede for the inside of the briefcase I have two suppliers and neither had it. 

I am sorry to say there are no pen case orders at the moment so there has been nothing to share.

Was the red suede requested by the people who wanted the restored briefcase? Or is it your color preference?

I really feel guilty about not making sure your post stayed on the first page by commenting on it, in the last two months, which are the months people would check for Holidays gifts ideas.

I hope your family is doing well, health wise, especially, because it is really important. 

Please dont worry Anne-Sophie this thread has been running for many years. Over the years I have taken a number of breaks, and have had periods when there are no orders for pen cases or other things I think might be of interest.

I know there is interest in the briefcase here. It took a long time to strip the case making sure all of the small pieces of thread were removed.

A number of areas had split and these needed to be repaired using thin pieces of leather like this.

52523673632_b51bced632_z.jpg2022-11-26_10-57-46 by my0771, on Flickr

Once all the repairs were complete and the customers choice of suede had arrived I started wrapping the inside with suede. The two dividers are wrapped as is the front and rear panels.

52524611610_55af101f67_z.jpg2022-11-26_10-51-54 by my0771, on Flickr

Stitching is a long process on this restoration. 

Michael, you are a true artist!

I wish, all pen or office related leather and wood items, neglected in antique markets and shops, as well as families' basements and attics, would make their way to you, to be given a glorious 21st century life.

I know this is typical French hyperbole, but I truly marvel at the miracles you are able to perform on leather cases, that I first though too far gone, as well as, antique writing desks or boxes which, I was sure, would never look as good as they did the day they came out of their workshops or factories.

I am always really pleased when I see a properly restored object.

I also dread the idea that, a trendy designer will get its hands on a truly antique object then completely destroys it to "fit in contemporary decor", there were/are many shows doing that on U.S TV.

Truly infuriating to see idiots destroy vintage items to attract the lowest common denominator customer, so they can win prizes, another "bright idea" that became a tv show.  

PBS, the U.S Public Broadcasting Service, had a show that highlighted U.S artisans artists of handmade objects of all sorts.

Because it was taped at the artists' workshops, it was stopped when covid started.

I wish they'll bring it back, providing an artisan with a camera, so she/he can tape her/himself and the host can always present each films by doing a short bio, on camera, before the artisans film is presented. This way the film crew can still work.

Well it's a tome on protecting and preserving artisans and artists work and works. 

Thanks Anne-Sophie I have seen some really bad restorations, I am not so sure I am that good to be honest. 

The briefcase restoration is under way but the stitching is going to take time, It is very hard on the hands.

In the mean time I have decided to make some pen boxes, I started with one but have some nice red leather from Italy but also some black also from Italy, not being able to decide which one to use I have decided to make two.

52542087003_db81790ee9_z.jpg2022-12-04_11-30-53 by my0771, on Flickr

52541834769_f740b08bed_z.jpg2022-12-04_11-30-41 by my0771, on Flickr

52544632863_cb0d9f6c8c_z.jpg2022-12-05_11-46-56 by my0771, on Flickr

Pictures are the outside of the box, red leather, and the inside of the box which is big enough to accomodate most larger pens up to 20cm long and 2.2 cm diameter.

red suede

Ultra simple and gorgeous box, luxury item because of the use of premium leather.

You said that for the briefcase, you needed red suede that you couldn't find at your usual suppliers, have you tried French ones?

The linen thread French manufacturer might have some names for you, they may also tell you, "non, we don't know", just to be annoying.

In some way, the fact that you don't have a queue for new items, makes it easier to concentrate on the briefcase  and get things done really slowly, in order to spare your hands.

Pen case orders always slow down at this time of year, which as you say gives me a chance to do some of the things I like to do.

I have the red suede now it just takes me a long time to do the stitching, there must be a few thousand stitches. the first panel is almost done. The customer is my son so he is fine with the delay.

It is going to follow the style of the boxes I made last year.

51655159502_5536d234ee_z.jpg2021-11-05_07-27-10 by my0771, on Flickr

I will be offering a range of leather covered boxes in 2023 in all sizes.

7 hours ago, my63 said:

Pen case orders always slow down at this time of year, which as you say gives me a chance to do some of the things I like to do.

I have the red suede now it just takes me a long time to do the stitching, there must be a few thousand stitches. the first panel is almost done. The customer is my son so he is fine with the delay.

It is going to follow the style of the boxes I made last year.

51655159502_5536d234ee_z.jpg2021-11-05_07-27-10 by my0771, on Flickr

I will be offering a range of leather covered boxes in 2023 in all sizes.

That teal box is spectacular!

Do you already have customers for the Italian leather boxes?

Or, are you covering the outside of the box, making the plain pen tray but wait until you have a customer who will choose the inner suede color and personalization?

I suppose making pen boxes is less tiring on your hands than stitching, especially big pieces, like briefcases.

Your son is very lucky to have such a talented father, I also vividly remember the yellow purse you made for your daughter, depicting, I think, a  Pokemon cartoon character.

Thanks the teal box is much loved by its owner. As I can now make my own trays fairly easily I can make more pen boxes.

The red and black boxes are indeed for sale and you are correct I am leaving the inside to give any potential owner some choice on colour and personalisation.

As you can see the lids are wrapped the red one is the Italian Valencia lether I did not have enough of the black Valencia to fit the top so it is non descript leather.

52548673523_81242348b1_z.jpg2022-12-07_06-53-58 by my0771, on Flickr

52547666047_185c258008_z.jpg2022-12-07_06-54-09 by my0771, on Flickr

The lids will be a little smoother once the glue has dried. Rather than soaking the leather in water these were applied dry with a water based leather cement. Not as easy as it sounds :) 

Make sure to save every piece of that red Valencia leather, you could make something, like an A5 notebook cover or a one pen case using the black Valencia with red Valencia leather details to match the box cover.

The NASA notebook cover showed me that you can do the leather equivalent of marquetry.  

The valencia leather is too soft to make a notebook cover :) It is a long time since I made a notebook cover but if you ever want one let me know.

On the pen case front I am about to start a significant set of pen cases.

As usual, I didn't express myself correctly, I meant using black and the pieces of red Valencia leather, to make something, like the NASA logo you did on a  notebook cover which, to me, is the leather equivalent of marquetry.

To my defense, it was 3 in the morning and I didn't enlarge the font, like I usually do.

It is lovely of you to ask if I want a notebook cover, but I don't use notebooks, only binders for punched loose leaves, because some years, I wrote a volume equivalent to a paper dictionary and others, I barely wrote 20 pages.

I also use different kind of papers and writing instruments,  which means, that now, I have multiple binders for each year. 

Nothing to do with the way you expressed yourself I dredd to think how I would cope at 3am. 

There is actually a technique used by bookbinders to make covers using thinner leather but I have only seen it on youtube some years ago. It is a skill that takes many years to learn. The next time I retire I am going to have a go at learning.

Personally I use Arc folders. :) 

I have started the next group of pen cases here are the kydex liners which have been formed and trimmed to size.

52552450697_39128d46b8_z.jpg2022-12-09_05-58-18 by my0771, on Flickr