Making A Pen Case

my63

Your restoration is truly wonderful, it keeps the identity of the case while securing its physical integrity.

In those times, I watch a lot of documentaries about arts and lots of restorers share their artistic talents on film, to show their expertise and attract apprentices. The first allows them to be hired and the second to share their knowledge.

Many have won prices or honors for their craftsmanship, they are hired to keep the vast array of Historic Places and National Archives of furniture, art objects.... intact.

This is in France, I am sure you have the same system in the UK, since you have a vast array of Historic Places as well.

How is everyone getting on, in the family, including the canine?

Take Good Care! 

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my63, I really love the pen cases and restorations you show us in this thread. I am very impressed by your ability to work with leather and I am simply amazed by your ability to make old, damaged objects beautiful again.

I just found out I was able to join the FPN forums, but I have been following this thread for almost a year now. I am so glad I can finally express my appreciation.

Thank you for making the world a little more beautiful!

21 hours ago, Anne-Sophie said:

Your restoration is truly wonderful, it keeps the identity of the case while securing its physical integrity.

Indeed!

Warm wishes and healing thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks the last few weeks have been difficult to say the least, I think I may be through the worst of it now I can walk about 10 paces before I have to stop. I hope to start working again soon.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Take good care of yourself, rest a lot, thank you so very much for giving us news.

Warm thoughts to you, your family and the canines. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words sadly we only have one dog now which is quite a change from 4. 

On a personal note I have developed a chest infection on top of the coronavirus which is still hanging around, this has meant additional treatment and stress.

I have managed to make a little progress on my current Emperor cigar style case.

51029221556_f18154f9c9_c.jpg2021-03-12_03-18-51 by my0771, on Flickr

I am going to make the toggle / pen rest soon.

I've been following this thread since you began it, but I don't think I've commented on your work. Like everyone else following your projects, I have nothing but praise for your exceptional care, creativity, and craftsmanship. The work is incredible.

But please, be careful. Take care of yourself. And get all the rest you can get.  I'm currently recovering from something myself, and I know that for those of us who like to work it's hard to take a step back.  But do try to give yourself the time you need to beat both of your infections. 

We're pulling for you.  Be well.  Get better.

D  

Beautiful work, as usual, which is quite an achievement in your condition.

Please make sure to have plenty of rest and hot beverages full of honey. 

I am certain that the recipient can wait a little while to get his beautiful bespoke pen case.

Enjoy you family, your dog, your couch/recliner as much as possible to get as much sleep as necessary for you to heal.

I also recommend Ricola candies, which helped a fellow British covid fighter, a lot, she said so here.

If you are hungry, eat as much as you want, if not, just drink.

Healing thoughts your way and get better, very very soon!

Thanks Dennis I really appreciate your support, It has not been an easy journey by any means. 

I still have symptoms of coronavirus along with the suspected chest / lung infection, I am going to have some tests and an examination this afternoon.

As ever Anne-Sophie I appreciate your support and wise words.

I hope to be well enough to return to normal working as soon as possible.

Wishing you all the best; hope those tests turn out well.

We're all looking forward to seeing more of your incredible work once your back at it.

D.

Thanks Denis, First batch of tests were ok more to come this week.

I have over the last few days managed to finish the current project, A two pen case for Namiki Emperor fountain pens.

50999190975_9186ea88f7_c.jpg2021-03-24_11-52-13 by my0771, on Flickr

6 hours ago, my63 said:

Thanks Denis, First batch of tests were ok more to come this week.

I have over the last few days managed to finish the current project, A two pen case for Namiki Emperor fountain pens.

50999190975_9186ea88f7_c.jpg2021-03-24_11-52-13 by my0771, on Flickr

Can you explain how the drawstrings work?

Hi Paul

It looks a little complex but actually it is quite simple.

The leather part is a tag with initials stapmed into it. The wooden part is a toggle with also acts as apen rest, as the toggle is pulled tight the case is secured together, Technically the cover is a friction fit and is unlikely to come off but I take a belt and braces approach. If the toggle or thong wears a simple knot will secure it. 

I hope that explains it. 

Ta Mate!  Yes, that explained it brilliantly.  It was a case of me not seeing the forest for the trees.

It's a fantastic looking case too, by the way.

Thank you so much for explaining how the two part pen case works. 

I have admired them for so many years and never thought of asking about it, thanks for asking Paul.

Michael, thank goodness, you are feeling better!

I would like to thank eveyone for the support, Although my doctor thinks I may have what they are calling "long covid" I feel weel enough to restart making cases. I had planned on staring next week but TBH i got really bored this afternoon so made a start.

I work on a first come first served basis I keep a list and the case at the top of the list is a two pen cigar style case for Emperor pens. This is the most complicated case I make with lots of components.

Just to make it more challenging the dye job is black over red often described as black cherry.

These are my new molds for cigar style cases the MDF is not water resistant so I have added some plastic to protect it.

51090886955_0c93196434_c.jpg2021-04-02_06-38-29 by my0771, on Flickr

Here are bothe sidesnext to each other.

51090109767_7a71ae4fc7_c.jpg2021-04-02_06-08-22 by my0771, on Flickr

My next step is to burnish the leather so it is smooth and apply some diluted black dye.

51090895895_d8f921588f_c.jpg2021-04-02_06-43-59 by my0771, on Flickr